JP_Grizzly

Chris Boucher 2019-2020 Outlook

I remember years ago when a fellow by the name of Robert Covington was the leading scorer in the G-League (then called the D-League) and got picked up by the 76ers. A lot of people doubted him but he had potential to stick in the lineup and get PT because of his defense. Now he gets drafted every year in the mid rounds. Just sayin...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I remember years ago when a fellow by the name of Robert Covington was the leading scorer in the G-League (then called the D-League) and got picked up by the 76ers. A lot of people doubted him but he had potential to stick in the lineup and get PT because of his defense. Now he gets drafted every year in the mid rounds. Just sayin...

I remember that too. It happened almost five year ago and he's now 28. Robert is only one year older than Chris.

NBA players on average peak at the same age that Chris is just getting good enough to make the rotation.

7 hours ago, Spyplane said:

How many forwards can you name who "broke out" at 27 and went on to have significant career? Odds are against your statement proving to be true.

There are probably a dozen or so. Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman won his first DPotY at age 29 and immediately comes to mind. Putting players in a box is just going to result in you taking Ls in fantasy. Your mindset is why Steph Curry went 7th overall. Your mindset is why Weber State's Damian Lillard was considered a reach at #6. Look at the player and draw your own conclusions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

There are probably a dozen or so. Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman won his first DPotY at age 29 and immediately comes to mind. Putting players in a box is just going to result in you taking Ls in fantasy. Your mindset is why Steph Curry went 7th overall. Your mindset is why Weber State's Damian Lillard was considered a reach at #6. Look at the player and draw your own conclusions.

Dennis Rodman started in the league in 1986 at age 25 and was quite effective right out of the gate. His problem was lack opportunity playing on the great Pistons.

My mindset is none of those things you mentioned and you can't come up with legitimate examples. My rational thinking is what causes me to win games, I park emotion on the sideline when making a decision. This guy is a mirage. Bookmark this and come back to me in a couple years and tell me how valuable he is as a dynasty asset in retrospect. Please and thanks.

6 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Dennis Rodman started in the league in 1986 at age 25

And didn't break out for a few years, don't pick nits. Can't come up with legitimate examples, lol. Bite me. I merely pointed out that your weak argument is doing yourself and the board a disservice. The infrequency of something happening (which doesn't even apply to your argument; it has happened quite a few times just talking about guys that became All-Stars, try Google) doesn't preclude it from happening, so come up with a better counterpoint.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

And didn't break out for a few years, don't pick nits. Can't come up with legitimate examples, lol. Bite me. I merely pointed out that your weak argument is doing yourself and the board a disservice. The infrequency of something happening (which doesn't even apply to your argument; it has happened quite a few times just talking about guys that became All-Stars, try Google) doesn't preclude it from happening, so come up with a better counterpoint.

Dennis Rodman as a rookie at age 25 was far superior to Chris Boucher at age 27. The "bite me" comments is telling and further validates what I said. This isn't personal, this is just my take with emotions parked.

...And I'm not nitpicking anything, the guy is 27 years old and is finally cracking the rotation of a team who is currently down THREE starters, a team who lost their superstar player in the off-season and replaced him with the plan of OG starting and one or both of RHJ & Stanley Johnson backing him up. RHJ & SJ have flopped, they're still learning the 'defense first and the ball isn't yours to ad lib like you did on s--- teams you previously played for' system. They're in the dog house, getting tough love. Both those guys are younger than Boucher and arguably are more talented. Either one of them could unseat him if it 'clicks' and that's not considering what happens once Kyle, OG & Ibaka get back. Boucher in the right place at the right time--- for now. That could change at any moment. He's a crappy 27 year old dynasty prospect.

Edited by Spyplane

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

the guy is 27 years old

Right, he's in his prime. The irony of you trying to invalidate other arguments when this is yours isn't lost on me.

Just now, miasma16 said:

Right, he's in his prime. The irony of you trying to invalidate other arguments when this is yours isn't lost on me.

I wonder why I lost you. Look up the definition for confirmation bias.

5 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Dennis Rodman as a rookie at age 25 was far superior to Chris Boucher at age 27. The "bite me" comments is telling and further validates what I said. This isn't personal, this is just my take with emotions parked.

...And I'm not nitpicking anything, the guy is 27 years old and is finally cracking the rotation of a team who is currently down THREE starters, a team who lost their superstar player in the off-season and replaced him with the plan of OG starting and one or both of RHJ & Stanley Johnson backing him up. RHJ & SJ have flopped, they're still learning the 'defense first and the ball isn't yours to ad lib like you did on s--- teams you previously played for' system. They're in the dog house, getting tough love. Both those guys are younger than Boucher and arguably are more talented. Either one of them could unseat him if it 'clicks' and that's not considering what happens once Kyle, OG & Ibaka get back. Boucher in the right place at the right time--- for now. That could change at any moment. He's a crappy 27 year old dynasty prospect.

Lmao he's 26 bro, sounds like you have the confirmation bias.

• Like 1

Just now, stay_woke said:

Lmao he's 26 bro, sounds like you have the confirmation bias.

For one more month. 

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

I wonder why I lost you. Look up the definition for confirmation bias.

I and half of this board have taken 100-level psychology, so you're not as knowledgeable as you seem to think you are. Your inability to prioritize the data available to you is your problem here. Look inward. Boucher could bust, but it would have literally nothing to do with what you're arguing would be his downfall.

• Like 3

Just now, Spyplane said:

For one more month. 

I guess I didn't know age got rounded up, or is that only if it supports your argument?

And he's actually 26 for two more months but hey if it helps the argument I guess

Just now, miasma16 said:

I and half of this board have taken 100-level psychology, so you're not as knowledgeable as you seem to think you are. Your inability to prioritize the data available to you is your problem here. Look inward. Boucher could bust, but it would have literally nothing to do with what you're arguing would be his downfall.

So the window of opportunity closing and historical data are irrelevant to the conversation?

• Like 1

Just now, stay_woke said:

I guess I didn't know age got rounded up, or is that only if it supports your argument?

And he's actually 26 for two more months but hey if it helps the argument I guess

Step one would be to read my posts.

Marc Gasol is a better real life player than fantasy player now

still very solid defensively even he won’t fill the stats sheet, can go small with Siakam at 5 too 

I don’t think Boucher is that much of a stash 

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Step one would be to read my posts.

Yes I read the one where you mentioned that he was 27 three separate times

2 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Yes I read the one where you mentioned that he was 27 three separate times

How about the one you quoted but didn't read where I gave other reasons? Read that one and then let's discuss.

Edited by Spyplane

I haven’t watched much of him and I don’t have him either. And not saying he is going to overtake Ibaka and Gasol this year because I doubt he will.

But if he has talent and makes an impact while Ibaka is out, his age won’t matter. He will force his way on the court. If not this year, then next. It’s not like he is 32.

Organizations find a way to invest in talent and the Raptors are one of the smarter ones.

2 minutes ago, Riedle9 said:

Marc Gasol is a better real life player than fantasy player now

still very solid defensively even he won’t fill the stats sheet, can go small with Siakam at 5 too 

I don’t think Boucher is that much of a stash 

Stash? Not sure about that. Playing great for the time being? Yes. How long can this continue? At least until Ibaka comes back. When is Ibaka back? out indefinitely - this is usually synonymous with quite a long time, as this is not a day to day thing. It could be 2 weeks it could be 2 months, no one knows right now. No one has a future ball, the only point that should be made is he is 100% worth the pickup in 12+ team leagues (potentially 10 team) and it is looking like he could be gold at least while Ibaka is out. Then we don't know what his role will be when Ibaka is back but we do know this. Serge is no youngster and even when healthy he doesn't play a big minutes role or take up much usage, same with Marc who is regressing in ability day by day. I think Boucher has the potential for ROS value. If not, who really cares, he is a wire add that is paying off for his owners and we will take what we can get. 

• Like 1

RHJ played big minutes last game because OG was out and he capitalized on it. RHJ is the biggest threat right now outside of guys coming back. He was 'supposed' to be the guy to begin with. Here's a good take on him in regards to the loss to the Clippers:

But the biggest silver lining belongs to Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

The game itself reflected Hollis-Jefferson, and that isn’t a coincidence. It was sloppy, frantic, low-scoring, and unpredictable. It’s rare for players who spend so little time with the ball to shape the game in their image, but that’s exactly what Hollis-Jefferson did as he stuffed Kawhi Leonard into a locker on the defensive end. It’s a luxury for teams to have players at the end of the bench who can imprint themselves on basketball games, and Toronto didn’t even seem to know what it had in Hollis-Jefferson. This was only the third game in which he’s played. But now the genie’s out of the bottle, and it’s clear what Hollis-Jefferson can offer. The Raptors may have lost the game, and it may have been an emotional one against Toronto’s former heartthrob Kawhi Leonard, but it was just one game. That’s a small price to pay. Hollis-Jefferson should be firmly established in the rotation going forward, and he can do incredible things.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019/11/12/rondae-hollis-jefferson-a-luxury/

This coming from a ESPN's choice to represent the Raptors in their "TrueHoop Network".

26 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

RHJ played big minutes last game because OG was out and he capitalized on it. RHJ is the biggest threat right now outside of guys coming back. He was 'supposed' to be the guy to begin with. Here's a good take on him in regards to the loss to the Clippers:

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019/11/12/rondae-hollis-jefferson-a-luxury/

This coming from a ESPN's choice to represent the Raptors in their "TrueHoop Network".

but RHJ is a trash player and that was evident during his time with the Nets when a lot of people projected him to break out yet he never came close. If OG wasn't out, RHJ would play less than 10 min per game or be a DNP - coach decision

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richg24 said:

but RHJ is a trash player and that was evident during his time with the Nets when a lot of people projected him to break out yet he never came close. If OG wasn't out, RHJ would play less than 10 min per game or be a DNP - coach decision

Hey, if you believe in Chris Boucher I'd like to think you'd be a lot more open minded than this. And RHJ was not out of the rotation because of a lack of talent. He was out because he wasn't playing the system... Probably because he was playing for losers elsewhere and so he was playing like a loser. Losers don't focus most of their energy on defense and losers attempt low percentage attempts when they're not even a scorer. I hope he's worked that stuff out while thinking on the pine. It seems like he might have connected the dots. 

5 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Hey, if you believe in Chris Boucher I'd like to think you'd be a lot more open minded than this. And RHJ was not out of the rotation because of a lack of talent. He was out because he wasn't playing the system... Probably because he was playing for losers elsewhere and so he was playing like a loser. Losers don't focus most of their energy on defense and losers attempt low percentage attempts when they're not even a scorer. I hope he's worked that stuff out while thinking on the pine. It seems like he might have connected the dots. 

I dunno man but generally good rotation players dont get DNP coach decision. Bad players do. System or not he has never fit any system because he plays like a SF but csnt shoot 3s (or ft for that matter). Ibaka is the out road block and hes out of the picture for the time being. Boucher looking like he will feast until that happens and maybe more ... we shall see

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Nick Nurse doesn't think hes all that talented

"He's not the most skillful guy, gets everything done on effort. Went out there and played hard, the ball found him a few times. He made some great finishes, ran down a couple loose balls. That's kind of what he is, doesn't really need to keep much sharp because he plays so hard." -Nick Nurse on RHJ

• Thanks 1