biggamer3

Biggest One Season Wonders

I know there are lots of relievers to choose from. I like the Kerry Lightenberg story. Saved 30 games in 1998 (18 for the rest of his career). He was acquired by Atlanta in a trade. He was traded for two dozen bats and a gross of baseballs. Really.

Fernando Tatis (1999) .298 34 107 with 21 steals (career .262 hitter with under 100 bombs)

In his defense, he has a great twitter account. At least someone does, using his name.

I find it amazing how few batters even the best pitchers were striking out in the mid-late 70s and early-mid 80s.

Stone '80 is a great example. He threw 250 innings, waked over 100 and only struck out 150! And he won 25 games with a 2.50 ERA!

A lot of this had to do with many pitchers relying more on their fastballs. I was only born in '86, but I've watched a lot of old games from the 70s and 80s. Pitchers would just pump sinkers and try to pile up GBs to work deep into games. There were very few guys who had a wide variety of secondary pitches. Guys like Koufax and Nolan Ryan had absolute secondary filth and racked up Ks. But the use of changeups, splits, cutters, etc was far less. A lot of top of the rotation pitchers mainly were fastball-breaking ball, so they were more predictable. Now, most top of the rotation guys have four pitches.

Also, hitters were more aggressive, a lot of players had more punch and judy approaches. Now, even most middle infielders have a lot of swing and miss in their game and sell out for power. Working the count was less emphasized back in the day, as was taking BBs. Back in the 70s and 80s, you would see middle of the lineup hitters trying to slap the ball to the opposite field. Now, it's rare to see a player with an approach like that. Reggie Jackson was one of the first of the modern breed of hitter. Drop your shoulder, sell out for power, and don't worry about Ks. Not many hitters had that approach 30-40 years ago.

A lot of interesting stuff in this discussion, the current K plague was being talked about a lot last year too. Aside from what mjk mentioned, there was also more small ball in the 80s, guys giving themselves up to move runners along but not actually bunting. Plus there was a psychological factor, unless facing a monster pitcher striking out was for chumps, it's still not cool but it used to be considered worse, only real power hitters like Reggie or Jack Clark were kind of given a pass on striking out, everyone else was expected to put the ball in play no matter what.

And Steve Stone is an interesting case, I was a bit too young to remember his big year but it got talked about a lot in the mid 80s cause he flamed out so famously. From what people said Stone had a great curve and that's pretty much all he threw that year, just one hook after another after another. That idea worked great for a season but it blew out his arm and that was the end. (Luck also factored into those Ws, he got tons of run support, just one of those perfect seasons for a pitcher)

How about Warren Morris?

Certainly a one-hit wonder (as he had probably the most famous hit in the history of the CWS) and he had a solid rookie season but it wasnt off the charts awesome, we can probably go through many players throughout history and find guys who hit 15HR one season that we never heard much from again.

How about Warren Morris?

Was he really a one-year wonder? I don't think he ever had a MLB season that would qualify.

He did however cause me to go hoarse for one day in the summer of 1996 B) .

OB-JC583_sport0_DV_20100701195938.jpg

Edited by Flyman75

Mark Fidrych

Mike Caruso

Angel Berroa

Walt Dropo

Tom Herr

Shingo Takatsu

Rick Wilkins

Mark Fidrych

Mike Caruso

Angel Berroa

Walt Dropo

Tom Herr

Shingo Takatsu

Rick Wilkins

Nice list here

Thank you to the mod for merging my post w/ this (and reviving it). Some fun names to read in here. I'll compile a list of more than Rich Louselle in a bit, but until then, Reggie Jefferson in 1996- 386AB, 302B, 19HR, 74RBI, .347AVG, a .593SLG%, & .982OPS in 122 games.. I believe he may have been more or less in a strict platoon that season, but the stats he put up were career year-worthy I'd say. He did finish w/ a .300 AVG and lands in that 'roid era a bit I guess, but he was never too much of a power hitter. I do seem to remember him leaving or abandoning the team or something and just quitting, walking off one day if he is who I'm thinking of (who also did this).

I also recall Jose Offerman having an all-star caliber season w/ the Red Sox at some point, and it being flash-in-the-pan worthy....

Rusty Greer had a flash in the pan career that injuries... or something w/ injuries derailed and ruined fast.

I can think of so many more later probably..

I remember in Rick Wilkins' fluke year being at a game.. I think it was that year anyway... he hit one off the wall, and stared for so long thinking it was gone (but the wind held it) he got gunned out at 1st...

• Like 1

I also recall Jose Offerman having an all-star caliber season w/ the Red Sox at some point, and it being flash-in-the-pan worthy....

Rusty Greer had a flash in the pan career that injuries... or something w/ injuries derailed and ruined fast.

Not with Boston. He had 45 SBs in his final season with KC and only had more than 18 in three other seasons (30, 24, 23). He also set a career high BA that season ('98) at .315. The year before he was 9-for-19 in SBs in 106 games.

Greer actually had four nice seasons in a row...a couple w/20+ HR, three w/100+ RBI, .300+ BAs each season, great K/BB ratios. Injuries ended all that.

Edited by Flyman75

Not with Boston. He had 45 SBs in his final season with KC and only had more than 18 in three other seasons (30, 24, 23). He also set a career high BA that season ('98) at .315. The year before he was 9-for-19 in SBs in 106 games.

Greer actually had four nice seasons in a row...a couple w/20+ HR, three w/100+ RBI, .300+ BAs each season, great K/BB ratios. Injuries ended all that.

Y

Yeah, I knew Greer had a really nice start to his career and it wasn't as much a fluke. BUT, since he did play kind of right in the heart of the roid era (AND TEXAS!..), I figured I'd drop his name. I mean, how often does someone mention his one year where he hit .320 w/ a 400 obp? If he played today, he would be getting 50mil more than Shin Soo Choo.... if I remember, it was his effort and hustle in the field that accelerated his career trajectory downwards due to injury. Still was a career .300/.390 (about) guy.... shame he never could stay healthy beyond those first few real good seasons..

I have some other names to list for sure, and I'm going to try to avoid the roid era- or most names post-lockout through about '03.

And yes! It was KC. It was around the time period of which Damon was in KC briefly, or right before or after I believe?.. For Offerman.

Was J. Damon a 1-year player for OAK or KC?... Can't recall, but other than speed he didn't do much.