Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

I don't know about y'all, but I'm ready! The World Series is over...let the dominoes start falling!

Where do Cole and Strasburg land?

Will Betts or Lindor be traded?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Edited by Halo Fan
  • Like 1

Red Sox would be absolutely nuts to trade Mookie. Boston is trying to dupe their fans into acting like they're a small market team. They're mostly built to be a contender. You don't trade guys like this when you're a possible WS threat and have no realistic budget. Reassess at the ASB if you've fallen out of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Red Sox would be absolutely nuts to trade Mookie. Boston is trying to dupe their fans into acting like they're a small market team. They're mostly built to be a contender. You don't trade guys like this when you're a possible WS threat and have no realistic budget. Reassess at the ASB if you've fallen out of it.

They aren't trying to dupt their fans.  They have the biggest payroll in baseball and John Henry has open pockets.  But just like the Yankees and Dodgers, who have already learned their lessons regards the luxury taxes NON money penalties, they have to get with it and not destroy their team and they need to reset this year aka every 3rd year.  Even with Mookie in his last year in Boston they can but finish 3rd in the AL East at best without upgrading their pitching which stinks.  See the Red Sox thread for endless debate about this whole issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They aren't trying to dupt their fans.  They have the biggest payroll in baseball and John Henry has open pockets.  But just like the Yankees and Dodgers, who have already learned their lessons regards the luxury taxes NON money penalties, they have to get with it and not destroy their team and they need to reset this year aka every 3rd year.  Even with Mookie in his last year in Boston they can but finish 3rd in the AL East at best without upgrading their pitching which stinks.  See the Red Sox thread for endless debate about this whole issue.

Sunday Boston Globe Dan Shaughnessy had an article comparing Mookie to Nomar & Lynn and why trading Mookie is OK. 
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/11/08/face-red-sox-fans-you-are-overrating-mookie-betts-bit/fdwoXOGb8hb7975Lklwa0N/story.html

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Sunday Boston Globe Dan Shaughnessy had an article comparing Mookie to Nomar & Lynn and why trading Mookie is OK. 
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/11/08/face-red-sox-fans-you-are-overrating-mookie-betts-bit/fdwoXOGb8hb7975Lklwa0N/story.html

ugh.. don't bring up Nomar around us Boston fans. Guy had the making for an all time great SS. Injuries ruined him.

49 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

ugh.. don't bring up Nomar around us Boston fans. Guy had the making for an all time great SS. Injuries ruined him.

injuries caused by steroids

• Like 1

Just now, jfazz23 said:

injuries caused by steroids

*yawn* .. never proven, just all speculation and rumors made by butthurt fans to cover up the dozen of AL East roiders of the mid-late 90's. 

2 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

*yawn* .. never proven, just all speculation and rumors made by butthurt fans to cover up the dozen of AL East roiders of the mid-late 90's. 

hey. i never said other people in the al east werent (mlb in general).  that doesnt mean its ok that Nomar did them.

also. he was on that list of 103 positive testers in 03 (like david ortiz).  its just only Arod got punished

Edited by jfazz23

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

Oh Fazzy should we bring up the Yankees juicing history? I don't think Rotoworld has that much bandwith. 😝

difference is I (and most other yanks fans) dont deny or defend the Arods, Giambis, Sheffields, Clemens or anyone else named on the list that played for yankees.

redsox HATE it when you point out Nomar and big papi and manny were big time steroid abusers. BIGLY users

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

difference is I (and most other yanks fans) dont deny or defend the Arods, Giambis, Sheffields, Clemens or anyone else named on the list that played for yankees.

redsox HATE it when you point out Nomar and big papi and manny were big time steroid abusers. BIGLY users

Bingo 

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Agree with Manny, but Papi was accused in 2009 of doping in 2003, before the policy came into affect in 2004. Papi denied ever doping AFTER the policies were put into place. Nevertheless, agree that doping in any year during any era isn't right. Although I do miss seeing Jack Cust swing out of his shoes.

Edited by MSkibisky

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

Agree with Manny, but Papi was accused in 2009 of doping in 2003, before the policy came into affect in 2004. Papi denied ever doping AFTER the policies were put into place. 

he failed the test in 2003. lmao thanks for proving my point.

Edited by jfazz23

21 minutes ago, apap414 said:

Also please don’t quote Dan Shank O’Shaugnessy 😂

Food for thought another sportswriter who has an opinion. Kinda just like you 

2 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Agree with Manny, but Papi was accused in 2009 of doping in 2003, before the policy came into affect in 2004. Papi denied ever doping AFTER the policies were put into place. Nevertheless, agree that doping in any year during any era isn't right. Although I do miss seeing Jack Cust swing out of his shoes.

I thought that was a good era. Bonds vs McGwire vs Sosa vs Brady Anderson .. Fans flocked to stadiums. What about last year using that new & improved baseball. No difference 

Just now, shakestreet said:

I thought that was a good era. Bonds vs McGwire vs Sosa vs Brady Anderson .. Fans flocked to stadiums. What about last year using that new & improved baseball. No difference 

Hey, just because it wasn't "ethical" doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining. Guys hitting 70hr's a year and 500ft+. Sign me up #unjuicetheball #juicetheplayers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I thought it was a s---y era and not the least like this year.  Here MLB cheated and not any of the players; the good the bad or thee ugly.  Then there were ethical players who never doped so were cheated by the cheats cheating.

Also this thread has been hijacked by all of us including me.  Can't we have a hot stove league thread that sticks to just that.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I'd be very surprised if one of Kris Bryant or Willson Contreras weren't dealt this winter.

Heard Cole won't sign until at least January. The baseball off-season went from being the best of the 3 major sports to being wayyy behind basketball and possibly even football now. It really stinks for us baseball fans that we have to wait until almost spring training now to see where these guys land.

37 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Heard Cole won't sign until at least January. The baseball off-season went from being the best of the 3 major sports to being wayyy behind basketball and possibly even football now. It really stinks for us baseball fans that we have to wait until almost spring training now to see where these guys land.

Not really set in stone.  The same Rotoworld blurb about Cole indicated that the other two of "the big three" -- Strasburg and Rendon -- could wind up deals rather quickly.

Also a LOT of the delayed mess that has happened in the past can be laid at the feet of Scott Boras.  His clients now tend to be ignored more than in the past as more and more teams are pissed at having their budgets held hostage forever and messing up other possible deals as they wait for him to play his same old -- really really OLD -- mind games and simply decide to go after players not with him.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Yes, let's blame Boras for doing his job and getting his clients the most money possible while ignoring big market teams suddenly trying to pretend they're Oakland or Tampa.

I forgot how many godawful and downright laughable hot takes we get in the off-season. The system is currently broken and needs to be fixed in the next negotiations. Maybe players need to reach free agency sooner. But lmao at blaming an agent for doing their job and crying in support of some billionaires who don't want to open the wallet a bit more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The problem is the market for rentals is not high enough to justify trading a Betts tier player. The Red Sox are better off trying to win this one last year. They are not devoid of talent that where Betts is the only good player left. 

Baseball seasons are not THAT predictable where you can say with assurance the Red Sox have little chance to win it all. The talent is still there for sure to win it all.

System is broken and re-building/coasting is more profitable from a business stand point then it was in the past. 

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2