Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

Big big move by my Sox, hah.  Probably will be the 2B this year though a Rotoworld blurb speculated utility guy.  But you can only have a utility guy AFTER you have a 2B in place.  (Michael Chavis seems more moved now to 1B or possibly the outfield as in if either Mookie and/or JBJ traded away).  Also I want them to hang on to Brock Holt since he is finally back from the year long plus nasty concussion followed by the eye thing (retina tear/scratch was it?) his infant son accidentally gave daddy and he really looked good last half of last year finally.  "Good" as in better than Peraza at least.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

The Red Sox and free-agent starting pitcher Martin Perez have come to terms on a one-year deal, according to multiple reports. According to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, Perez’s contract also has a club option for 2021. Perez is slated to make $6 million in 2020 and would receive a modest bump to $6.25 million if Boston picked up the option, per Rosenthal.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2019/12/mlb-rumors-red-sox-pitcher-martin-perez-agree-to-one-year-deal/

19 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Big big move by my Sox, hah.  Probably will be the 2B this year though a Rotoworld blurb speculated utility guy.  But you can only have a utility guy AFTER you have a 2B in place.  (Michael Chavis seems more moved now to 1B or possibly the outfield as in if either Mookie and/or JBJ traded away).  Also I want them to hang on to Brock Holt since he is finally back from the year long plus nasty concussion followed by the eye thing (retina tear/scratch was it?) his infant son accidentally gave daddy and he really looked good last half of last year finally.  "Good" as in better than Peraza at least.

I thought Chavis is going to play 2B to clear the way for Dalbec?

Edited by Magoo

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

Great. Now they’ll have 12 guys that will get 300 AB’s for the year. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

I thought Chavis is going to play 2B to clear the way for Dalbec?

Chavis didn't play much 2B the last part of the time he was healthy.  More 1B.  I thought he played well enough at 2B and weirdly better there than 1B but hey no one asked me.

Then since he was out injured to get more playing time before next season he was or is (don't know their time frame) being sent to the Puerto Rico winter league to learn to play the outfield.  Seems 2B is not their prime position for him in the future.   The OF is in case either Mookie or JBJ go before or during this season.  JD is terrible in the outfield.  They are especially really trying hard to move JBJ and his 11 mil this off season -- he is a FA next -- so if Bradley goes and Mookie stays one more year then Mookie and/or Benintendi will play CF and Chavis will hold down a corner outfield position.  Also Dalbec has to make the team before he can play 1B and anything can happen on the road there.

Long way of saying they need a 2B barring BOTH JBJ and Mookie staying.  Pereza was bad last year.  But if Chavis is needed in the OF and they don't re-sign Brock Holt then it will be either Pereza or Marco Hernandez the latter of whom is really really horribly terrible but they invited him back this year, groan.  So I guess bad is better than really really horribly terrible.  Speaking of which ... Martin Perez.  Double groan.  Hah.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, TheBoatmen said:

Guess the Dodgers don’t know.

Source: #Dodgers showing interest in LF Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, who is viewed by many as a better fit for the American League. Tsutsugo faces a Dec. 19 deadline to sign in @MLB after being posted by the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of NPB, for whom he hit 29 HR this year. @MLBNetwork

👀

On 12/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, duke of queens said:

👀

Somebody had a secret source.  Now tell me where Nate Lowe is playing?

14 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Somebody had a secret source.  Now tell me where Nate Lowe is playing?

Starting 1B for TB is what I have been reading.

4 hours ago, Topgun said:

Starting 1B for TB is what I have been reading.

But Choi is also at 1B as well.  TB players are going to be frustrating to own again this season because of playing times needed for about for 6 zillion of them.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But Choi is also at 1B as well.  TB players are going to be frustrating to own again this season because of playing times needed for about for 6 zillion of them.

It's probably to early to tell, Tampa Bay like most teams are still making moves, but as of right now, I see lowe at 1B, Choi at DH,

Lowe is a better defender, not great, but better than Choi in my opinion, Yoshitomo Tsutsugo to play mostly LF. 

3 hours ago, Topgun said:

It's probably to early to tell, Tampa Bay like most teams are still making moves, but as of right now, I see lowe at 1B, Choi at DH,

Lowe is a better defender, not great, but better than Choi in my opinion, Yoshitomo Tsutsugo to play mostly LF. 

Tsutsugo has reputation of being a bad fielder, he may need some time at DH as well.

Have to assume they will be all in on Lindor, Donaldson, and Ozuna. Possibly even Bumgarner or Ryu.

is Emmanuel Clase a top prospect, because DeShields has to be a throw in. 

is Clase expected to be a shutdown closer, because he's not even a starter.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=198420

EDIT: more than these? plus a write up on Clase..

Edited by SpecialFNK

I don't care how hard Clase throws - he's No. 30 on the Rangers' top-30 prospects on MLB.com. I understand dumping Kluber's salary to possibly sign Lindor to an extension - especially because the Tribe still has great starting pitching - but it would seem they should have gotten much, much more in return. I'm bummed if I'm an Indians fan, which I'm not.

1 hour ago, Baseball Batman said:

I don't care how hard Clase throws - he's No. 30 on the Rangers' top-30 prospects on MLB.com. I understand dumping Kluber's salary to possibly sign Lindor to an extension - especially because the Tribe still has great starting pitching - but it would seem they should have gotten much, much more in return. I'm bummed if I'm an Indians fan, which I'm not.

As a White Sox fan, I approve of this deal. 

I have a hard time believing this is the best they could do. Just keep him then...