Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

I’m too disgusted for words. All the Tribe had to do was add a few serviceable corner outfielders and 2B and they’d be in the mix all season. Now the tear down is on and I now fully believe Lindor will be gone this offseason. What a travesty for fans who’ve watched them come so close. The window was cracked until today.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I’m too disgusted for words. All the Tribe had to do was add a few serviceable corner outfielders and 2B and they’d be in the mix all season. Now the tear down is on and I now fully believe Lindor will be gone this offseason. What a travesty for fans who’ve watched them come so close. The window was cracked until today.

Yeah dude. I'm a W Sox fan so obviously I approve, but this is bullsh** for Indians fans. They should be adding and fighting while thos team is still good. Instead...Lindor is probably gone next. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah dude. I'm a W Sox fan so obviously I approve, but this is bullsh** for Indians fans. They should be adding and fighting while thos team is still good. Instead...Lindor is probably gone next. 

I think the Indians will still be the favorite but I’m not sure what the rest of their offseason will look like. To me it looks like they’re operating like Tampa - saving money but still trying to be competitive. Their rotation is still one of the best in baseball with:

Bieber, Clevinger, Carrasco, Civale, and Plesac/Plutko.

Their 7-8-9 in the back of their bullpen has the potential to be lights out with Karinchak, Clase, and Hand.

If they reinvest the ~ $16 million in savings to address of and/or 2b they’ll be in good shape.

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

More details:

The Diamondbacks and free agent Madison Bumgarner are in agreement on a five-year, $85 million contract, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The deal includes $15 million in deferred money, per Rosenthal, making the front end of the contract even more friendly for the D'backs. Bumgarner turned 30 years old this season and had a 3.90 ERA, the highest of his career, but he's still an above-average starter and a playoff-tested veteran who the D'backs hope can lead them to their first postseason win since 2011. For Bumgarner, the first pitch he throws as a member of the Diamondbacks will be his first delivered not as a member of the Giants, with whom he spent the first 11 seasons of his career.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                Dec 15, 2019, 5:02 PM ET

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But why did they deal for Deshields when they have Mercado?  The deal doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

3 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

But why did they deal for Deshields when they have Mercado?  The deal doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I agree. That is the most puzzling part of the deal for me as well. Deshields is a 4th outfielder, at best. He could start some against lefties and serve as a pinch runner/late game defensive replacement, but beyond that he stinks. They still need two corner outfielders, imo.

Almost seems like an annual update but the Yankees are interested in Kyle Schwarber. Would be interested to see how he fits into that lineup. Would essentially eliminate the DH as a rotational spot for many of the bad fielders / injury prone players the Yankees have.

Brewers are really having a puzzling off-season. No clue why they want Avi Garcia, as that has the stink of a multi year pact too?

20 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Almost seems like an annual update but the Yankees are interested in Kyle Schwarber. Would be interested to see how he fits into that lineup. Would essentially eliminate the DH as a rotational spot for many of the bad fielders / injury prone players the Yankees have.

well they  need a left handed bat.  but i agree, Schwarber just doesnt fit the team.  they should really push hard to trade for Lindor, or they should have brought DiDi back on 1 year 15 mil

3 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Reds to sign Wade Miley.

They have a decent pool of backend arms to choose from now. 

Great landing spot for Garcia. I’ll be targeting him everywhere.

• Like 1

^ I just hope the brewers have a sense of humor and give him Fielders old locker.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

They have a decent pool of backend arms to choose from now. 

meh

bauer can bounce back, and Gray was 7th in cy young voting...career year.

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

meh

bauer can bounce back, and Gray was 7th in cy young voting...career year.

No I meant that they should be able to compromise a solid back end to that rotation because of the number of options they have. Overall it should be a good rotation (front middle and back) if not excellent. 

• Like 1

Gio Gonzalez signed with his old old old team, Los White Sox. Not sure what the terms are yet, but this seems ok with me

If you could go back 5 years and tell Angels fans their 2020 rotation would include Teheran, Bundy and Heaney, they’d probably be really excited.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

If you could go back 5 years and tell Angels fans their 2020 rotation would include Teheran, Bundy and Heaney, they’d probably be really excited.

Maybe they can bring Matt Harvey back too.

• Like 1

Okay if I was Ellsbury I'd be ashamed to go after ANY money "owed" me.  What a crazy, greedy, legalistic world we live in.

According to Ronald Blum of the Associated Press, the MLBPA has filed a grievance against the Yankees in an attempt to recoup money owed to Jacoby Ellsbury.

Ellsbury was officially released by the Yankees in November and the team is refusing to pay the $26.142 million that the 36-year-old outfielder was due to make between 2020 and 2021, on the grounds that he violated his contract by getting unauthorized outside medical treatment. There will either be a settlement or the case will be heard by an arbitrator. Ellsbury hasn't appeared in a game at the MLB level since 2017 due to a variety of injuries, though he apparently wants to continue his playing career next year.

Source: Associated Press                                         Dec 19, 2019, 2:21 PM ET

Also.  With Franco to KC I guess Dozier goes to 1B full time now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay if I was Ellsbury I'd be ashamed to go after ANY money "owed" me.  What a crazy, greedy, legalistic world we live in.

Also.  With Franco to KC I guess Dozier goes to 1B full time now.

I hope so, could he also slot in a corner OF position?