Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

7 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah his parents messed up, had they named him Strikeout Bailey he'd be headed for The Hall of Fame.

I was thinking his parents anticipated him growing up to be a position player (Homer hitter).

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I was thinking his parents anticipated him growing up to be a position player (Homer hitter).

His name is David.  His nickname is homer.

1 hour ago, kenag122002 said:

His name is David.  His nickname is homer.

That's actually even worse since he's a pitcher. 

Like finding out that Bob Walk's real last name is Smith. 

• Haha 1

Angels signed Jason Castro ; I'm assuming to be their primary catcher against RHP at least.

4 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Angels signed Jason Castro ; I'm assuming to be their primary catcher against RHP at least.

Castro is a solid catcher, LAA needed to make the move to get a C. 

• Like 1

Seems like a ton for a guy who will be 36 in August. 

11 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Jeez, yeah that is way more than I would be comfy with...esp considering he is not elite at missing bats

20 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

This offseason has been wild. Who hasn't seemed like they got a huge deal pushing the limits of what they should have? Maybe Cole/Strasburg who are in their own class? There's really arguments for pretty much everyone getting more than they should this year

3 hours ago, Hollywood42 said:

This offseason has been wild. Who hasn't seemed like they got a huge deal pushing the limits of what they should have? Maybe Cole/Strasburg who are in their own class? There's really arguments for pretty much everyone getting more than they should this year

For Harris is less about the money he got and more about the years. His FIP was double his ERA last year. If he has slight regression he will be pretty pedestrian and you have to expect some regression from someone that age. And that's just for this year. He may have a solid season but I'd expect him to be an overpaid reliever the last two years of his contract.

3 hours ago, Hollywood42 said:

I think the Strasburg deal tests limits. He’s already had TJ surgery once. If he ever needed a second surgery he’d be a 50/50 proposition to pitch again. I get why the Nationals made the deal, but his health history coupled with the fact that it’s a 7 year contract, taking him to his late 30s, would have me sleeping with one eye open.

6 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I think the Strasburg deal tests limits. He’s already had TJ surgery once. If he ever needed a second surgery he’d be a 50/50 proposition to pitch again. I get why the Nationals made the deal, but his health history coupled with the fact that it’s a 7 year contract, taking him to his late 30s, would have me sleeping with one eye open.

Rendon got the same amount of years and dollars. Not sure why they wouldn't opt to keep Rendon instead of Strasburg. So much more risk with Strasburg.

According to Jorge Castillo of the L.A. Times, the Dodgers and Jimmy Nelson have agreed to a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2021.

The deal guarantees Nelson barely more than $1 million, but he can earn more this year and a total of $13 million over two years if the option is exercised. Nelson was one of the NL's best pitchers in 2017 before tearing up his shoulder diving back into first base. He missed 2018 and didn't show the same stuff in three starts and seven relief appearances for the Brewers last season. He could compete with Ross Stripling, Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin for the fifth spot in the Dodgers' rotation.

• Like 1

Cishek signed a 1 year deal with the white Sox. 

• Like 1

OK, low risk move for LAD getting Jimmy Nelson. Maybe the shoulder will be better after another yet, but he appeared to be toast last year.

• Like 2

That's a perfect Dodger signing.  Almost free upside,  a perfect addition to their dl core

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

interesting offseason for the Nats. gotta imagine they're out on Donaldson now. 

They just signed Strasburg then every old player they could find. Looks like they are all in on next two years, probably trying to capitalize on the plus side of Strasburg and Corbin's contracts, cheap Trea Turner and Juan Soto, and before Scherzer starts to decline. To me it looks like a team that should contend but the second some of these older guys start to wear down the team will come crashing down.

Jose Martinez going to the AL sounds nice but the Rays have so many bats that he's probably just a short-side platoon guy. I have no idea where Arozarena fits either.

There are rumors Liberatore could be flipped as part of a big deal to get Arenado/Betts, but this makes sense for the Cardinals even if they keep him.