Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

23 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

The thing that drives me crazy, though, is how the Rays trading for a player suddenly makes them such a much better prospect.  Before this trade most lists had Arozarena around #15-20 in the Cards' system, and most at 40 or 45 FV.  The Rays made a pretty poor trade, and now all the TB apologists have come out of the woodwork on Twitter to talk up Arozarena like he has some immense upside.  Saw people suggesting he "could be good enough to rate 50 FV".  Give me a break, you thought he was a nobody yesterday.  The Rays wanting him doesn't suddenly make him some kind of top prospect.

Sure, Arozarena could turn out to be a good MLBer.  But his profile screams 4th OF - good contact skills (not great though), limited power, somewhat speedy, but not going to be a big time base stealer either.  Rays must like what they see, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly better.  

The other suggestion I've seen several times from different sources is that if the Rays are trading away Liberatore, they must have reasons they don't like him.  Sell high before other scouts find his flaws, type of logic.  If that's the case then the Rays' scouting department failed big time by investing a 1st round pick in him just a year and a half ago.  His velocity and curveball have shown to be everything they should be, so if there's something else there the Rays don't like, they shouldn't have drafted him in the first place.  Just seems like another off the wall guess on why the Rays made a trade that nobody can understand when examined logically.

This is your classic fantasy trade offer of "here's some of my bench players and some lint from my pocket for one of your good players," and the Rays were the one sucker that accepted.  As someone else pointed out, I don't see a reason they couldn't have done a similar trade in-season if they felt they needed to add depth.  They have plenty of OF depth, and if anything, they could have probably gotten J-Mart on his own (or another flawed, no-defense, right handed bat) for a much lesser prospect than Liberatore.

I agree he isn't a top prospect and even the Rays themselves agreed. As they also asked for J Mart and a draft bump. You have to understand low minors pitching prospects are the highest risk of them all. So is a little of dividing up Liberatores value into J-Mart, Comp pick. With a little bit of an agreement upon risk that comes with a pitching prospect who is still levels from the majors.

That being said, they obviously think more of Arozanrea then a "generic depth piece". The Rays took from a farm system that has a track  un-rated prospects that turn into productive MLBers. 

The argument "they could have done this mid-season" only has merit if Arozanrea is just a 4th OF. Had he hit the ground running and forced his way into more PT with the Cardinals. They can't make that trade anymore. I'm personally not going to make a judgement on this trade until we see Arozanrea play enough. We've seen scouts and the consensus whiff on guys and we've seen "smart" organizations make bad trades. I didn't know a ton about Arozanrea, but he does look very interesting from a hitting metrics standpoint. Though AAA numbers last year are useless. 

Edited by Slatykamora

Looks like Texas is out of the Josh Donaldson signing race:

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers have agreed to terms with Todd Frazier, pending a deal.

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com says it's a one-year, $3.5 million deal with a $5.75 million club option (or $1.5 million buyout) for 2021. The Rangers have been connected to Anthony Rendon, Josh Donaldson and Nolan Arenado this offseason but for now will settle for Frazier at third base. The veteran infielder figures to see some time at first base against left-handers, as well. Frazier batted .251/.329/.443 with 21 home runs across 499 plate appearances for the Mets last season.

Source: Dallas Morning News      Jan 12, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Looks like Texas is out of the Josh Donaldson signing race:

At 1 year 3.5 million, i dont think it takes them out of the race for Donaldson. They still have $ to spend, and if Donaldson is willing to goto Texas, im sure ownership will worry about Fraziers 3.5 million at a later date.

Dodgers sign Alex Wood.  And once again have 82 SPs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonninho said:

At 1 year 3.5 million, i dont think it takes them out of the race for Donaldson. They still have $ to spend, and if Donaldson is willing to goto Texas, im sure ownership will worry about Fraziers 3.5 million at a later date.

Or one of the can just play 1B.

39 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Dodgers sign Alex Wood.  And once again have 82 SPs

Feels like their rotation beyond Buehler and Kershaw will be a revolving door and giant fantasy headache all season. Nothing new, I suppose.

Astro's gm and manager suspended for one year, 1st&2nd round draft choices for 2020/2021, and a 5m dollar fine. 

Hammer came down pretty heavy. Be interesting now to see what Boston gets for a second offense.

25 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Astro's gm and manager suspended for one year, 1st&2nd round draft choices for 2020/2021, and a 5m dollar fine. 

Hammer came down pretty heavy. Be interesting now to see what Boston gets for a second offense.

Cora is gonna get crushed here. 

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Cora is gonna get crushed here. 

yeah... it sounds like what the sox did isn't as bad as what the astros did (no dedicated camera or trashcan system, just some illicit peeking in the replay room), but the fact that they were already warned once before will count against them, so my guess is the punishment winds up in the same ballpark. but cora being in both places, could get rough

40 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I put it in the sign stealing thread so this thread won't get tied up with this.

Gonna be interesting to see if we notice a drop of sorts in the production of Stros players this year.

Well the Frazier signing for Texas means that Solak looks like a bench/utility bat, and likely won't garner enough ABs to merit fantasy value. I mean, with Choo at DH, Frazier at 3B, and Gallo/Santana/Calhoun in the OF, I don't see 400+ ABs for Solak unless an injury should befall one of the above, or a terrible drop in production.  Bummer.

Kemp to the As.  Not massive but does seem to kill any PT upside for Neuse and/or Mateo.

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Well the Frazier signing for Texas means that Solak looks like a bench/utility bat, and likely won't garner enough ABs to merit fantasy value. I mean, with Choo at DH, Frazier at 3B, and Gallo/Santana/Calhoun in the OF, I don't see 400+ ABs for Solak unless an injury should befall one of the above, or a terrible drop in production.  Bummer.

Maybe at first but between days off and likely injuries he's still going to get close to 450 ABs as it is.

Edited by Magoo

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I'm not sure how long Odor's leash is at 2B. He was pretty terrible last year. If he struggles out of the gate, it wouldn't shock me to see Solak replace him.

Sure seems like a Rox/Cards swap, headlining with Arrenado is moving along...to the point where you'd think they would have approached him and he was signing off on a trade?? It will look pretty interesting when/IF it gets done. Though it is hard to speculate exactly who is/will be involved, you might wanna sell Hudson stocks asap, as he seems sure to be a piece?

48 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sure seems like a Rox/Cards swap, headlining with Arrenado is moving along...to the point where you'd think they would have approached him and he was signing off on a trade?? It will look pretty interesting when/IF it gets done. Though it is hard to speculate exactly who is/will be involved, you might wanna sell Hudson stocks asap, as he seems sure to be a piece?

wonder if this effects Ozuna at all

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

wonder if this effects Ozuna at all

Prob would have to, as it does not sound like COL wants to eat much--if any cash?

Since I posted that, another blurb hit and Passan is calling it a longshot...but who really knows, other than they are obv talking

4 years/92million is longer than I would have wished for with Donaldson being 34 already. But love the signing

47 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Wow.  Source:

DAMMIT

Twins have been doing good things as of late. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

Looks like I’ll be benching most of my pitchers, especially lefties, against the Twins this year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meh2 said:

Looks like I’ll be benching most of my pitchers, especially lefties, against the Twins this year.

TBH, i do not view this Twins line up as elite. I know, crazy, right? Especially after last years historic year. I just felt like a lot of players had career years and overachieved. Is it possible that it was a stepping stone to who they as players are? Sure. At some point, Cruz will begin to fall off. Donaldson is 34 and got the payday he has been seeking for a few seasons now. Beyond that, Sano is a question mark.. so inconsistent and injury prone while Kepler and Polanco in some ways came out of no where (Polanco more so than Kepler). 

I do agree though that their Infield D will be improved drastically, under the assumption both Donaldson and Sano both stay healthy..

7 hours ago, jonninho said:

TBH, i do not view this Twins line up as elite. I know, crazy, right? Especially after last years historic year. I just felt like a lot of players had career years and overachieved. Is it possible that it was a stepping stone to who they as players are? Sure. At some point, Cruz will begin to fall off. Donaldson is 34 and got the payday he has been seeking for a few seasons now. Beyond that, Sano is a question mark.. so inconsistent and injury prone while Kepler and Polanco in some ways came out of no where (Polanco more so than Kepler). 

I do agree though that their Infield D will be improved drastically, under the assumption both Donaldson and Sano both stay healthy..

I sort of agree with this take. I actually see the beginning and end of this lineup as the strengths. I don't like Donaldson, as he has shown his overrated side. Cruz has GOT to be due for regression, and Sano is a K-machine. I do like Rosario, but the hitters surrounding him stink of red flags. 

That being said, the end of the lineup is very promising. Garver/Arraez/Buxton could very well be the best 7/8/9 combo in baseball. (I am a full believer that Buxton is due for his true breakout season...he was last year until he got hurt.) Of course, there is gamble, but this seems like another mash-city lineup to me. 

Edited by MSkibisky