Halo Fan

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Great deal ... why do you care about money? You and me ain’t paying for this contract. 
the Yankees needed a front end starter and his name is Gerrit Cole. It’s time to win some World Series. 

Cole, Sevy, Paxton, Tanaka & German (?) .... 

It will cost $1000 to take a family of 4 to the game next year. So yes, you are paying for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adding Cole obviously made a ton of sense for NYY. They are a championship caliber team lacking a front end starter. Unfortunately for them, Boras knows how to prey on the desperate. 

In conclusion: a poor valued contract that still makes a lot of sense. Like buying a Porsche 911 turbo when you turn 40.

4 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

It will cost $1000 to take a family of 4 to the game next year. So yes, you are paying for it.

Oh no I am not... ticket prices are high already and we will probably see an increase, but come on that family of four has other options go see a game in Tampa, Pittsburgh or damn right in the area minor league ball. My family of four can see a game in New York for under half of that number. 

I am floored by Cole’s contract size but I still get it.  Those few stalwart aces who eat innings and K everyone year after year are a rare breed.  

There is always risk of injury or abrupt age related decline but if you are going to bet on someone to give you a run of multi year dominance at the top of the rotation kinda like Scherzer gave the Nats, Cole is the guy to bet on

Time will tell with Cole's contract on whether it was a good or bad deal. If they can get 3-4 great years out of him and maybe another 2-3 good years, even if he totally stinks at the end, it's a good deal. And if they happen to win a ring in the process, this isn't even a debate. Winning fixes everything and the only thing holding the Yanks back was their starters. Cole is the ace they needed. You have to pay to play in sports and the Yanks are puting it all out there to win a ring. 

As an Angels fan, I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price as we have many holes. Signing two starters like Bum and Ryu is probably the better bet to building a solid rotation. However, the Angels front office really wants to make a big splash. Moreno has money to spend and it's burning a hole in his pocket. I'm not saying they get Rendon but they are gonna go after him hard.

• Like 1

This tweet is evergreen; just gotta change the names and orgs every once in a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

I agree Yankee games are not a cheap date but come on, including Ticketmaster fees you can get upper deck seats for $30 each right now. So for a family of four that's $120 for tickets, ~$40 for parking if you drive, $20 for two beers, $10 for two sodas, and maybe $40 on food. That comes in under $250 and cheaper than a Broadway matinee and lunch in midtown, and that's not even hunting for discounts or taking advantage of Pinstripe Pass, etc.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

I agree Yankee games are not a cheap date but come on, including Ticketmaster fees you can get upper deck seats for $30 each right now. So for a family of four that's $120 for tickets, ~$40 for parking if you drive, $20 for two beers, $10 for two sodas, and maybe $40 on food. That comes in under $250 and cheaper than a Broadway matinee and lunch in midtown, and that's not even hunting for discounts or taking advantage of Pinstripe Pass, etc.

Obviously I was exaggerating the cost a bit, but if you think I am only spending 250 to go to a weekend day game in the summer( since those are only tolerable for a young kid) I've got a bridge to sell you. No way I am walking out of there with a bill under 500. I don't think I've seen a beer cost $10 in 10 years.

35 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Obviously I was exaggerating the cost a bit, but if you think I am only spending 250 to go to a weekend day game in the summer( since those are only tolerable for a young kid) I've got a bridge to sell you. No way I am walking out of there with a bill under 500. I don't think I've seen a beer cost $10 in 10 years.

Okay - $30 for two beers. Point being if you are spending anything north of $300 you're either doing it wrong or don't care. At any rate, personally I prefer taking my 4 y/o to minor league games (she's already got more foul balls than I ever have). Spending any amount to get her to YS now would be a waste of money. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Y'all are really worried about the payroll of the freakin' Yankees!? What planet is this?

Nobody cares about that.  But they just put all their eggs in one basket for 9 freaking years tying up their FA signing and trade flexibility, draft picks and international agent signings in the process.  Cole gets injured -- and most pitchers do at some time whether TJ or something else -- and they are screwed for years and years to come.  No pitcher in history is worth a nine year contract.  This will bite the Yankees big time.  So as a Sox fan I am really happy they did this.  Kind of like them getting the pitching version of Ellsbury.  Or the Sox David Price mega-contract but on steroids by comparison.  Welcome to the AL East, Mr Cole.  Hahaha.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nobody cares about that.  But they just put all their eggs in one basket for 9 freaking years tying up their FA signing and trade flexibility, draft picks and international agent signings in the process.  Cole gets injured -- and most pitchers do at some time whether TJ or something else -- and they are screwed for years and years to come.  No pitcher in history is worth a nine year contract.  This will bite the Yankees big time.  So as a Sox fan I am really happy they did this.  Kind of like them getting the pitching version of Ellsbury.  Or the Sox David Price mega-contract but on steroids by comparison.  Welcome to the AL East, Mr Cole.  Hahaha.

The question is what's the threshold that makes it worth it. Same was true of the Harper deal. If they win one WS over the course of his contract, does that justify it? Two? I don't think anyone has any misconceptions that the last four or five years of this contract aren't going to feature declining returns, possibly drastic ones. Ideally it works out like CC's contract did and Cole ages gracefully. But even if he doesn't I think one World Series ought to be enough to silence critics. Of course TJS or shoulder problems would be disastrous. That's baseball, Suzyn.

• Like 1

Just read this rumor on Twitter:

Hearing that Luis Castillo is likely to be headed to Houston in return for a package of Correa and Reddick.  Still some time for physicals or legal issues to make things fall through.  Reds could be getting their cornerstone SS to build around.  Houston replacing Cole and cutting S.

- @jensen_juicy

• Like 2

IF the Luis Castillo rumor is true -- and it is a very big if -- THIS is how you get an ace.  Not with mega-contracts to a Cole or Strasburg.  Correa has not lived up to his hot start in the majors of late and Reddick is on the downside of his career.  If Houston pulls this off it will be highway robbery.  Also means Bregman can finally play SS which he is built for.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

IF the Luis Castillo rumor is true -- and it is a very big if -- THIS is how you get an ace.  Not with mega-contracts to a Cole or Strasburg.  Correa has not lived up to his hot start in the majors of late and Reddick is on the downside of his career.  If Houston pulls this off it will be highway robbery.  Also means Bregman can finally play SS which he is built for.

Also opens them up for the mega deal for Rendon. 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Correa- when healthy- is still an elite player.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Time will tell with Cole's contract on whether it was a good or bad deal. If they can get 3-4 great years out of him and maybe another 2-3 good years, even if he totally stinks at the end, it's a good deal. And if they happen to win a ring in the process, this isn't even a debate. Winning fixes everything and the only thing holding the Yanks back was their starters. Cole is the ace they needed. You have to pay to play in sports and the Yanks are puting it all out there to win a ring. 

As an Angels fan, I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price as we have many holes. Signing two starters like Bum and Ryu is probably the better bet to building a solid rotation. However, the Angels front office really wants to make a big splash. Moreno has money to spend and it's burning a hole in his pocket. I'm not saying they get Rendon but they are gonna go after him hard.

Ryu scares me. He had a great season last year but he’s about to turn 33 and has a history of dealing with injuries. Do the Angels really need another SP with injury risks? I guess it all depends on what he’s looking for but his agent is Boras. MadBum is looking for 5 years/$100+ million. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 12:08 AM, Baur10 said:

Didi and Wheeler were my 2 wants of the off season for the Phillies assuming they didn't go big on Rendon or Cole.  So apologies in advance for when they stink it up.

There are rumors that the Phillies want to stay under the luxury tax this year. If true then they don’t have much to work with anymore. Could explain why they decided to move fast on Wheeler and get him while he was still “affordable”. The Arrieta and Robertson contracts are hurting them this year. 

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1