jfazz23

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion

pretty much caught cheating.  what should the penalty be?  take away international money? draft picks?

Hinch should be suspended for a year.  he laughed when they Yankees (correctly) called him out.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MLB suspends Arod for a whole year even though he never tested positive yet they prob wont do anything about this, disturbing and disgusting. Thank god the Nats won

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

MLB suspends Arod for a whole year even though he never tested positive yet they prob wont do anything about this, disturbing and disgusting. Thank god the Nats won

Both Boston (Apple watches) and New York (Improper use of a dugout phone) were caught in 2017 and neither lost draft picks. 

• Like 2

This was the same year the Red Sox Apple watch. Which they only got a fine. After the 2017 season this was said:

"All 30 clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks," Manfred said in a statement.

1.) Said because he was (likely) aware of multiple teams were using tech to cheat and put his foot down.

2.) If all the evidence is from 2017 not afterwards. This means they responded to Manfred's mandate (or were more subtle in their actions due to risk)

The reason why the Patriots got a harsh penalty for spygate was because they ignored the warning from NFL FO about it. The Astro's should be punished, but i'm not sure it needs to be really harsh unless they found evidence after 2017. Yeah, it was more comprehensive then the Red Sox, but this might open a can of worms on what was going all around the MLB at time before Manfred made his statement.

If they do get a harsh sanction, it will because due to PR pressures more then anything.

Edited by Slatykamora

As a Yankee fan, mixed feelings. They were a great time but this shouldn't go unpunished.

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

This was the same year the Red Sox Apple watch. Which they only got a fine. After the 2017 season this was said:

"All 30 clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks," Manfred said in a statement.

1.) Said because he was (likely) aware of multiple teams were using tech to cheat and put his foot down.

2.) If all the evidence is from 2017 not afterwards. This means they responded to Manfred's mandate (or were more subtle in their actions due to risk)

The reason why the Patriots got a harsh penalty for spygate was because they ignored the warning from NFL FO about it. The Astro's should be punished, but i'm not sure it needs to be really harsh unless they found evidence after 2017. Yeah, it was more comprehensive then the Red Sox, but this might open a can of worms on what was going all around the MLB at time before Manfred made his statement.

If they do get a harsh sanction, it will because due to PR pressures more then anything.

but they were still doing it this year...its not a coincidence they couldnt hit paxton in yankee stadium....but were sitting on every off speed pitch in houston

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

but they were still doing it this year...its not a coincidence they couldnt hit paxton in yankee stadium....but were sitting on every off speed pitch in houston

Proof? Houston won 2 of 3 in Yankee Stadium this year. And took all 3 in Washington but couldn't win at home. 

Edited by jctexan

now we going to have sp/c going through crazy sign sequencing with no one on base. awesome

this is sh*t and surprised a professional team would do something this shady. also surprised that an opposing sp didnt notice this or bring it to light in a big way. I would of liked to have seen some old school head hunting multiple times in a row until it stopped or the pitcher got tossed.  yea springer you hear that bang? go ahead lean out over that plate looking for offspead, hear comes a fb to ur face.

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

now we going to have sp/c going through crazy sign sequencing with no one on base. awesome

this is sh*t and surprised a professional team would do something this shady. also surprised that an opposing sp didnt notice this or bring it to light in a big way. I would of liked to have seen some old school head hunting multiple times in a row until it stopped or the pitcher got tossed.  yea springer you hear that bang? go ahead lean out over that plate looking for offspead, hear comes a fb to ur face.

Image result for clap gif

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

Headhunting from the Yankees?  The team that once let Pedro throw at Jeter and another player to start a game and did nothing about it?  When it comes to playing "hard ball", unfortunately our team has not had the stomach for it in recent years.

That said, given that Severino and others over the years have reportedly had signs stolen\pitches tipped and were totally clueless about it, I think it is far more likely that they were completely and totally inept and incompetent in this regard.

As to a solution, this is not complicated, put down a sequence of signs on every pitch and switch your signs at least every few innings.  It is not rocket science.

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

Going to?  Teams already do that.  And have for years and years is some places especially when playing in Toronto where the whole known era of hidden cameras started many many years ago when at their old stadium they had cameras looking out the windows of the attached hotel rooms above centerfield.

True story.  One game when my visiting Sox broadcast team were showing off the hotel rooms on a zoom in camera pan of the various rooms and discussing just this they caught a couple going at it in one of the rooms who didn't bother to close the curtains first, hah.

There is no real way to stop this these days.  Technology isn't going to stop. "Fans" sitting in the bleachers with jacked-up but ordinary looking "cell phones" or pin-sized cameras can do this and transmit to a team's clubhouse with current technology.  I can see a situation soon where the signs are called not by the catcher but from the dugout on "secure" (they hope) channels to an earbud on the pitcher a la the helmet earphones set-up NFL QB's use today.

Have the catcher signal for a changeup and throw a fastball to the ribs. That will end these shenanigans real quick.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

one of the White Sox pitchers definitely noticed it in one of the videos out there. he hears the bang and calls his catcher to the mound, can see him mouth "I think" before his glove covers his words.

13 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

one of the White Sox pitchers definitely noticed it in one of the videos out there. he hears the bang and calls his catcher to the mound, can see him mouth "I think" before his glove covers his words.

I think you are referring to Farquhar

• Like 1

17 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

Only way to stop it IMO 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:35 AM, colepenhagen said:

20 years from now all signs will be communicated electronically using technology. And the headlines will be “Astros accused of using NASA technology to intercept signaling.”

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2019 at 7:51 PM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Dodgers 2017 world series champs

That would ring hollow for Dodgers fans though. 

37 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Stealing signs is bush league, but rooting for headhunting? That's just scummy.

They did blatantly cheat. The internet sometimes has this odd kumbaya obsession. They won the World Series... Kershaw is still a laughing stock in the playoffs; guys lost their jobs; a year's worth of work and playing through injuries and eventual heartache taken away. The Astros actively cheated and there's a cohort on here that thinks a draft pick or fine somehow undoes it. It's insane. I bet most players would gladly take the fastball up and the World Series ring.

Edited by Hanghow

On 11/13/2019 at 5:51 PM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Dodgers 2017 world series champs

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

That would ring hollow for Dodgers fans though. 

Dodgers Fan here. 2017 World Series Champions sounds great to me. I'll put it next to the 2011 MVP award Matt Kemp won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

They did blatantly cheat. The internet sometimes has this odd kumbaya obsession. They won the World Series... Kershaw is still a laughing stock in the playoffs; guys lost their jobs; a year's worth of work and playing through injuries and eventual heartache taken away. The Astros actively cheated and there's a cohort on here that thinks a draft pick or fine somehow undoes it. It's insane. I bet most players would gladly take the fastball up and the World Series ring.

Blatantly cheating at baseball is bad, yes.  But it's still just a game.  Kershaw is a "laughingstock" but he still makes his 30 million a year playing a game, so, tough to feel too bad for him.  Encouraging bodily harm via throwing a ball 95+ mph at somebody's head in retaliation for this is dangerous and stupid, and far far worse than cheating at a game.  Every time.  

• Like 2