jfazz23

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion

ha late to the party but tap. WTF. if players/pitchers cant figure out visually with simiple fingers can you imagine the shi*t show with tapping?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They don;t have a problem in the NFL.  Not everything is Bluetooth which is a terrible technology no doubt.😃

No players wear earpieces in the NFL - they wear receivers in their helmets.

4 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ha late to the party but tap. WTF. if players/pitchers cant figure out visually with simiple fingers can you imagine the shi*t show with tapping?

“Tap...your troubles away...” 🎼

Edited by BMcP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

You know what, man? I totally get what you are saying.. but.. its like the famous saying goes.. if you aint cheating you aint trying..

This theory applies to anything in life. We as regular people unfortunately do not get any where without bending the rules a bit or in other words.. cheating.

While i am totally against what the Astros did, and want pitchers to be throwing at them, players to be suspended for their participation and banners to be withdrawn.. i understand why they all did it. We try to get away with what we can... its the human in us... and when we get caught.. we gotta man up and take the punishment.

This is not just a baseball problem, though. Soccer is full of cheating. Football is full of cheating. Basketball is full of cheating. Hockey is also full of cheating. Each sport cheats in different ways, and while the issue in baseball is probably the most severe due to how dependent the individuals are in the secrecy behind whats coming.. they all still cheat.

Dont let it get to you man. Enjoy the game you love .

Yeah if I thought it was just the Astros and apparently the Red Sox, I'd be fine. But there's a lot to question about what happened in the past that is legit, and what is suspect. Great post though. I'll get over it. I love the game. The players enhance that love, but it's the game itself I love, not the guys that play it. If nothing else, I appreciate the essence of baseball. High tech shenanigans can't destroy that. Because no matter what, I can still remember those hot summer days playing whiffle ball with my cousins, and having a true love for what baseball is supposed to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Is that you, Ty Cobb?  Been sharpening your metal spikes up and just found it they don't let people wear them anymore?  😃

You really should read Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen. 

The things you've attributed to Cobb simply aren't true.  The book Cobb by Al Stump and the movie based on it with Tommy Lee Jones are complete horse-do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

That would be insufficient - not sure why some are having trouble understanding this relatively basic mathematical concept.

How would just two taps allow the pitcher to understand that he needs to throw a high-and slightly outside FB instead of a low-low-in slider, just as one example.

you are making this out to be a monumentally complicated process

you do something like 

x number of buzzes per each pitch 

then for location, same thing.  I don’t know why you keep adding on like “slightly low outside” because when catchers set up they can’t be that specific anyway lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

you are making this out to be a monumentally complicated process

you do something like 

x number of buzzes per each pitch 

then for location, same thing.  I don’t know why you keep adding on like “slightly low outside” because when catchers set up they can’t be that specific anyway lol 

Yes I am - because it is.  Location alone would require something on the order of at least 25 different possibilities.  At least.  If MLB literally erected a monument celebrating how complicated it was to successfully institute this,  I wouldn’t bat an eyelash.

Edited by BMcP

4 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

You really should read Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen. 

The things you've attributed to Cobb simply aren't true.  The book Cobb by Al Stump and the movie based on it with Tommy Lee Jones are complete horse-do. 

Came here to suggest the same... Here’s the cliffs notes version for those interested: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, StevieStats said:

I hope this year is filled with pitchers drilling hitters and brawls. I hope Bregman and Altuve get drilled so much they gotta take some time off with sore ribs. Especially that smug Bregman.

https://twitter.com/ATTSportsNetSW/status/1048748222481457152?s=20

It's such a shame because Bregman really seemed like a good dude.  I'm no Astros fan, but some of the stuff with him helping kids with their swings and stuff like that was really cool.

Bregman did the Astros no favors in that interview.  He basically pleaded the Fifth. These questions are going to continually be asked throughout the season.  Enjoy Astros.

On 1/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, BMcP said:

Dude, that would require basically learning a whole new “tapping” language - even assuming these devices wouldn’t impede the players’ ability to actually play.  Do you tap nine times or ten times to signal low-low-outside?  How would this not affect a pitcher’s ability to focus on preparing to deliver the pitch?

It’s just not nearly as easy-peasy as you’re making it sound on this thread.

I saw a suggestion pitchers & catchers could just wear some type of Apple Watch type device.  And I don't think the communication needs to be THAT complicated.  Each pitcher has 2, 3, maybe 4 pitches and there are, what, 9 zones a pitcher will throw a pitch?

That's a 2 digit signal.  11 means fastball up and away.  29 means breaking ball low and in.  37 means change low and away.  Etc.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:45 PM, BMcP said:

And how exactly does “one” tap allow a pitcher to determine whether he needs to throw a fastball, as opposed to a slider, change, curve or sinker?  I won’t even ask how the various location possibilities would be communicated using two taps....

It just doesn’t seem like you’ve thought this through properly.

I feel like you're ignoring the fact all this information is currently being communicated using basically hand signals.  Is there really information I could communicate to you via hand signals that I couldn't conceivably communicate to you using some kind of electronic device?

5 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I saw a suggestion pitchers & catchers could just wear some type of Apple Watch type device.  And I don't think the communication needs to be THAT complicated.  Each pitcher has 2, 3, maybe 4 pitches and there are, what, 9 zones a pitcher will throw a pitch?

That's a 2 digit signal.  11 means fastball up and away.  29 means breaking ball low and in.  37 means change low and away.  Etc.

Why would you think there are only 9 locations that a pitcher would be asked to target?

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I feel like you're ignoring the fact all this information is currently being communicated using basically hand signals.  Is there really information I could communicate to you via hand signals that I couldn't conceivably communicate to you using some kind of electronic device?

I’m not ignoring that fact at all.  And to answer your question, obviously yes it could all be communicated via an electronic device - and much more clearly and concisely.  Just not with some fancified Morse code.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Why would you think there are only 9 locations that a pitcher would be asked to target?

You're right.  The catcher could still indicate where he wants the pitch to be though.  Just add a digit to the code.  172 means fastball, down and away, 2 inches off the plate.

• Haha 1

Just now, 89Topps said:

You're right.  The catcher could still indicate where he wants the pitch to be though.  Just add a digit to the code.  172 means fastball, down and away, 2 inches off the plate.

Ok - you’re now straying from the concept under debate - i.e., a “tapping” system.

27 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

It's such a shame because Bregman really seemed like a good dude.  I'm no Astros fan, but some of the stuff with him helping kids with their swings and stuff like that was really cool.

Umm...research some of his Twitter interactions with fans for more insight.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Ok - you’re now straying from the concept under debate - i.e., a “tapping” system.

Yea, I don't know why it would need to be some kind of buzzer/tapping/morse code system.  We have more sophisticated tech than that.  I kind of liked the idea of some kind of Apple watch, device.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Umm...research some of his Twitter interactions with fans for more insight.

I'm not a Stros fan, and don't follow Bregman.  Just saw a couple cool things it looked like he did with younger fans, that's all.

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

I'm not a Stros fan, and don't follow Bregman.  Just saw a couple cool things it looked like he did with younger fans, that's all.

Not saying he’s a horrendous human being - he just (so far) comes across as self-entitled and condescending.

Edited by BMcP

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, I don't know why it would need to be some kind of buzzer/tapping/morse code system.  We have more sophisticated tech than that.  I kind of liked the idea of some kind of Apple watch, device.

I suggested just using a smartphone.  Have the catcher stand up behind the plate, keep it close to his vest, and type in the info.

Granted, I was joking.

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I suggested just using a smartphone.  Have the catcher stand up behind the plate, keep it close to his vest, and type in the info.

Granted, I was joking.

The watch thing would probably be scoffed at by baseball purists, but when you take a step back and think about it, is having a catcher type in a code on his wrist really any more ridiculous looking than wagging fingers in his crotch?

• Like 1

I would scoff, because I am - but it would be preferable to inexplicably forcing players to learn a new Morse code system impromptu.

47 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

The watch thing would probably be scoffed at by baseball purists, but when you take a step back and think about it, is having a catcher type in a code on his wrist really any more ridiculous looking than wagging fingers in his crotch?

Couldn’t this information be hacked .. then relayed to the batter via an ear plug?