jfazz23

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion

46 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I would scoff, because I am - but it would be preferable to inexplicably forcing players to learn a new Morse code system impromptu.

We have seen numerous mix ups with just fingers. What you think is going to happen with players who speak a different language. He is recommending a 172 is a down & out fastball while a 177 is in high and tight fastball etc... Will they be on the same page with these new signals?I just don’t see this Morse code stuff working. 

Edited by shakestreet

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

We have seen numerous mix ups with just fingers. What you think is going to happen with players who speak a different language. Will they be on the same page with the signals and Morse code? He is recommending a 172 is a down & out fastball while a 177 is in high and tight fastball etc... I just don’t see this Morse code stuff working. 

Plus, we aren’t even talking about Morse anymore when we start discussing numeric codes.

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Ok - you’re now straying from the concept under debate - i.e., a “tapping” system.

It wouldn't be hard to tap 172 times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

We have seen numerous mix ups with just fingers. What you think is going to happen with players who speak a different language. He is recommending a 172 is a down & out fastball while a 177 is in high and tight fastball etc... Will they be on the same page with these new signals?I just don’t see this Morse code stuff working. 

How would some kind of numerical communication be confusing for players who speak different languages?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Couldn’t this information be hacked .. then relayed to the batter via an ear plug? 

I don't know.  The NFL seems to have figured out a way for coaches and QBs to communicate without it being hacked.  

I'm not a tech expert, but I assume MLB could figure out a way to make that communication secure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Morse code won't work. It would need to be a smart watch type transmitter. Wear the transmitter on the glovehand wrist facing in. Catcher will be able to send transmission from his wristband which can be as large as a 4" playcalling sheet. They can still mix in some signage for location if necessary. I'd say a display that showed a number will work fine.

If you thought Bregman had a punchable face before don't even watch his smug company speak at the Astros fan event. Why are Astros players acting like this there's still some doubt about the validity of this scandal? Just own up to it and get the press off your backs. I have no idea what they're thinking.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting on Verlander to finally break his silence on the matter. 

I don't get why the commissioner gave the players immunity - they knew about it and benefited from it.  I guess it's a MLBPA thing and getting them to roll on the management who doesn't have the union protections.  Manfred's one year suspension and fine - big deal.  I mean the firings came from the ownership of the teams.  Have to hope the baseball writers who have HOF ballots blackball any players from the team.  To me this is much more Black Sox than steroids or Rose in that this was a conspiracy to cheat rather than lone wolf individuals in the case of steroids.