heero78

Carmelo Anthony 2019-2020 Outlook

28 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I know it's not fashionable. But I think Melo will contribute and is 12-team worthy. I saw the last Blazers game, and they have NO ONE at PF. I mean no one.

All jokes aside, they really do need him so if Melo has anything left in the tank, plays his role, and the Blazers do their best to make sure he doesn’t get exposed defensively, it’s possible.

Like real NBA teams, you pick him up, you don’t win the championship. You’ve been warned.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Raiiny said:

Waiting for that one guy to say run don't walk. 

Tip toe like a low-level cat burglar.

• Haha 2

Finally a super team in Portland.

D6906585-B58F-4932-B6E7-F42B093FEDDD.jpeg

Edited by NoahsArc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Well, I've watched Dwight do wonders, with his less athletic body, but with good hoops IQ.

Melo hopefully has to understand his new reality. Maybe he can and maybe he can't. But Dwight is the blueprint for what he needs to do. Just stand in the right place. Just keep it simple. Expect no isos.

Melo was not able to do this in Houston, but hopefully has some game left, and some ego removed.

Melo actually did do this in Houston, he was just really bad at it. Melo had 5.3 catch and shoot FGA/g and only shot 31.4% from three on them. On wide open threes he was 29%. He posted up 2.8 times per game and drove 0.7 times per game. Comparatively he shot only 4.1 pullup shots per game.

He only iso'd 1.7 times per game in Houston. 

I think the big question that will come out of this is: did he take his exile as an opportunity to work on his game or is he just going to float back in and chuck/ballhog/play-no-defense the way he so often did before?

Unless he had a come-to-Jesus moment he may not be good for anything other than PTS/3PM/REB.

• Like 1

If you lived in a cave for the past 3 years. or just didnt watch any basketball what so ever then id say, yeah sure, definitely go pick him up. 

This is a move for the Blazers to tread water until they can trade for a power forward or wing that can actually play in hopes of saving their season. Melo wont be on this team past February and he wont be 12 team relevant 

• Like 1

Well ... at least his career averages are 24/6.5/3.  I'll grab him just to say I've got that kind of player on my roster.  :D

Really though, I do think he'll get a decent leash considering everyone's rooting for him to do something (with all that media hype from his banana boat friends), and even if he sucks a la his Thunder days, at least he'll take a bit of pressure off Dame and CJM if they're willing to look his way.  I just hope to god he can at least make wide open jumpers now.  For all his talk about begging to return to the NBA, he had better have been practicing the one thing people expect him to do.

• Like 2

How many minutes will they give him? He was pretty horrendous in both his last stops. At 35, rolling a throwback game, I am skeptical.

Even if he can carve out a consistent role I don't know if that's more than 20MPG. Father time is undefeated and Melo has been on the ropes since 2017. The combination of his style of play and the physical regression is what got him to where he is to begin with. Sure, how he acted had an impact but winning production camouflages that.

• Like 1

I have to ask, for those taking the plunge, who are you cutting to make this happen? This question is probably more interesting.

4 hours ago, Soccer8098 said:

This is a move for the Blazers to tread water until they can trade for a power forward or wing that can actually play in hopes of saving their season. Melo wont be on this team past February and he wont be 12 team relevant 

You ever see someone who can't swim fall in water over their head before? Well the 300lbs Blazers are the pool and Melo is the 140lbs retired life guard who's jumping in the pool to save them. lol

Edited by Spyplane

21 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I have to ask, for those taking the plunge, who are you cutting to make this happen? This question is probably more interesting.

I personally dropped Paschall for Melo, both just scorers so i just feel it was worth it. 

But guys don't expect much really even in 26-28 mins. His fg% was very bad with OKC and Houston and he does nothing else.

47 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

I personally dropped Paschall for Melo, both just scorers so i just feel it was worth it. 

But guys don't expect much really even in 26-28 mins. His fg% was very bad with OKC and Houston and he does nothing else.

Everyone should also take look at his advanced stats. We don't score on those but they're good for identifying how effective a player is without watching a ton of games. Long story short, he's been stinky for two years but even prior to that he's been in steep decline since around age 31-32.

No rebounding, defensive stats are minimal. I hope he's been in the gym five days a week working on his conditioning and that you guys hit a homerun but I think I'm leaning towards passing. I just signed Nassir Little after his game against the Raptors. He played really well and I'm wondering now if he still factors into the equation going forward this season.

My league is deep and a dynasty by the way but I am trying to win the league this year and Little was supposed to be trait bait but now I don't know... I'm hoping Tolliver and Hezonja get further demoted and Little stays as a 20MPG spark plug off the bench while Melo rests.

This from 2018, before the Rocket debacle where D'Antoni basically ran him out of the league:

Of the 114 players that took at least 700 FGA last season, Carmelo was 105th in Points Per Shot (PPS). His 0.95 points per shot would be the equivalent of feeding a 31.7% 3-point shooter, like Evan Turner or Emmanuel Mudiay, behind the arc. Even Brandon Ingram and Ish Smith were more efficient than Carmelo.

It’s not that Carmelo is a bad shooter; he’s an excellent shooter. The problem is his shot selection. Like almost every NBA player, Carmelo is inefficient from mid-range. His 0.786 is the equivalent of shooting 26% from 3.

Again, almost every NBA player is inefficient from mid-range. For example, James Harden averaged 0.782 points per shot from this region last season. A big difference between Harden and Carmelo is that Anthony took 460 mid-range jumpers (to Harden’s 128). Would you want a 26% 3-point shooter taking 460 3-pointers for your team? Carmelo takes the most shots from the area where he is the least efficient.

39% of Carmelo’s FGA came from mid-range, while only 9% of Harden’s FGA came from that zone.

https://shottracker.com/articles/carmelo-anthony-great-shooter-bad-shots

So a big problem before Houston was shot selection but fast forward to after the Rockets debacle, he shot 32% from beyond the arc there, which wasn't a career low but it was an 11 year low. Of course that didn't slow him down because they needed him to hit threes, he just couldn't do it on his 6.4 attempts per game despite Harden getting essentially gang tackled all over the court. I don't think he's the answer for them in Portland if he plays like he did in Houston but maybe he's hungry with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he wants to put a proper capstone on his career and go out on a good note? Makes sense but does he have the ability to control that now?

Edited by Spyplane

10 minutes ago, fachowski said:

floor spacing kickout/cutter when Whiteside posts up?

I would think 42%fg, 78%ft, 13pts, 3 rebounds, 1 3pm is his ceiling

Translation: 🔥👜💩