Sign in to follow this  
SkinsChargersFan

Ross Dwelley 2019 Outlook

Couldn’t find a thread for Ross the Boss. Or Smelly Dwelley, depending on how he plays this week.

Any Kittle owners considering streaming him against Arizona over the other trashy options on the wire?

Pros:

- Arizona can’t cover TEs. At all.

- Caught 4 of 4 targets in the first matchup with Arizona (Kittle played)

- 7 targets last week against the Seahawks

- Sanders might be out/less than 100%
- He appears reasonably athletic

Cons:

- He’s never had more than 29 yards in a game (the aforementioned 4 catch, 29 yard matchup with AZ two weeks ago)

- He’s Ross Dwelley

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Hmmm...any potential to be Kamara like?

Like in what sense? I mean they are alike that they both play in the NFL and are in the NFC. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, K197040 said:

lol every hype train candidate is now kamara like... love it. I hope that was sarcasm or I just completely misread the intentions of the post.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, K197040 said:

When Kittle comes back, it could very well be a Kamara-Ingram type situation... most definitely.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

When Kittle comes back, it could very well be a Kamara-Ingram type situation... most definitely.

Sure...but I need to know who the Kamara is in that situation. 

• Haha 1

Engram owner here looking at Dwelley this week.  Typical WW options like Ebron, Doyle and Witten are out there but I like the upside Dwelley.  7 targets last week is encouraging.

Overview

Tight end with decent route burst who displays the ability to make the easy and difficult catch. Dwelley is a poor run blocker who lacks the strength to handle the day-to-day work required from a combination tight end so he will have to ply his trade as pass-catcher. He'll need to do a better job of asserting himself in the middle of the route to slip man coverage and create windows for his quarterback. Dwelley is a developmental prospect with some upside as a pass-catcher, but his road to a roster could be bumpy.

Strengths
  • Posted three years of consistent production as pass-catcher and touchdown maker. Carries decent burst to uncover and create workable separation. Plus football intelligence with a feel for route adjustments over or under linebackers in coverage. Effective in scramble situations and will work to open space for his quarterback. Hands are smooth and natural
  • Catches away from his frame with quick pluck and tuck. Willing to handle to absorb the blow when working the middle of the field
  • Good body control when adjusting to throws outside his comfort zone
Weaknesses
  • Core strength must improve to have any shot as NFL blocker. Struggles to sustain and finish. Gets tossed around at point of attack and shows very little leg drive as base blocker. Offers marginal elusiveness to slip tackles after the catch. Below average finisher when it is time to duck pads and get tough yardage. Gets glued to contact and coasts with coverage when working second and third levels
Sources Tell Us

"Great body control and terrible blocking. He has some potential, but he plays way too soft right now. He has to get tougher or he won't make it." - NFC regional scout

Interesting... He came into the league as a pass-catching TE, but now he's used more as a blocker. He's only in his 2nd year and he's completely revamped his game. Averaged 66 yards and TD a game his senior year at San Diego. So, I guess, there's not nothing here. 

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Sure...but I need to know who the Kamara is in that situation. 

D-Welley is both.  Kamara between the 20s, Ingram in the RZ.

Kittle is Cameron Jordan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Do not dwell on a tough lineup call, simply plug this cat in and enjoy your 15+ points.

7y2hPq4.png

• Haha 1

picked him up to play if Fuller doesn't go. I feel like it is crap shoot, but a crap shoot against Arizona bends the odds to your favor I hope.

Edited by altmin

1 minute ago, vercrazy said:

1 touchdown, 9 catches, 0 stress playing a TE against Arizona.

If OJ Howard can be relevant...

2 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

1 touchdown, 9 catches, 0 stress playing a TE against Arizona.

Lol.  That’s awful but I kind of chuckled.

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, K197040 said:

I think at this point a lot of owners would be happy with Kamara was Kamara-like.

I'm starting Dwelley in one league with no good TE options on the wire. He had 7 targets last week, SF's top WR is out, and Arizona gives out TE points like they're going out of style. 

36 minutes ago, yossarian said:

SF's top WR is out

I thought I saw where Sanders was going to “try” to play? 

17 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I thought I saw where Sanders was going to “try” to play? 

per Schefter today, he is playing.

Kittle out it seems

Edited by altmin

Thinking I'm gonna have to roll out Ross today, hoping the juicy matchup with Arizona is enough to get something like 4 catches for 70 yards.

One of the SF beat reporters was saying how he wouldn't be surprised if Dwelley was used primarily as a decoy -- predicting that he would have a big impact on the game, just not on the stat sheet. With that said, I did see others predicting that he's in for 7-10 targets based on the thinking that the Cardinals will stack the box again and force Jimmy G to sling it around (with Brieda out that's less likely, no?). 

Any Niners fans or Ross Dwelley experts (😉) in here who can give us an idea of what we're in for?

On 11/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

If OJ Howard can be relevant...

He has the talent and pedigree to be relevant.