Zangief80

Jonathan Williams 2019 Outlook

50 minutes ago, dorsett33 said:

I like what ive seen so far from Jonathan Williams.  Texans are usually tough against the run and he did OK.  This kid can be a starting NFL RB.  He might just be able to leapfrog everyone on their depth chart and hold onto this job long term.  

Eh I disagree. While he certainly looked serviceable I don’t think he’s starting caliber. I think he’s a guy that can fill in when your starter goes down. There’s nothing wrong with being that guy as only 30ish guys in the league are good/great enough to be starters. He doesn’t really possess any dynamic attributes or hasn’t shown a second gear. Even the guys who you or I would rank as the 20th-30th best RBs in the NFL have either a particular something they do really well, or are highly explosive, great route runners, etc. 

Edited by CrastersCreep
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Eh I disagree. While he certainly looked serviceable I don’t think he’s starting caliber. I think he’s a guy that can fill in when you’re starter goes down. There’s nothing wrong with being that guy as only 30ish guys in the league are good/great enough to be starters. He doesn’t really possess any dynamic attributes or hasn’t shown a second gear. Even the guys who you or I would rank as the 20th-30th best RBs in the NFL have either a particular something they do really well, or are highly explosive, great route runners, etc. 

I don’t know, with that OL I think he is a solid RB2 (assuming Wilkins doesn’t eat into workload).  Not sure if you watched the game or not, but as the game wore on, he looked better and better.  In the second half he continued to make 5+ yard runs and as long as they stay close in games, I see similar production moving forward. 60-85 yards/game, 2-3 receptions, decent chance at a td.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

I don’t know, with that OL I think he is a solid RB2 (assuming Wilkins doesn’t eat into workload).  Not sure if you watched the game or not, but as the game wore on, he looked better and better.  In the second half he continued to make 5+ yard runs and as long as they stay close in games, I see similar production moving forward. 60-85 yards/game, 2-3 receptions, decent chance at a td.

I watched the game. RBs typically look better as the game goes on as the defense start to wear out.

Also just to clarify I wasn’t talking about Williams from a fantasy perspective. He can absolutely produce RB2 numbers with that sort of volume on a team with an elite line. I was responding to someone who asserted he’s a starting caliber RB talent wise, to which I took offense. 

3 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

I watched the game. RBs typically look better as the game goes on as the defense start to wear out.

Also just to clarify I wasn’t talking about Williams from a fantasy perspective. He can absolutely produce RB2 numbers with that sort of volume on a team with an elite line. I was responding to someone who asserted he’s a starting caliber RB talent wise, to which I took offense. 

Got it.  My bad....

Williams had some good runs yesterday but I'm thinking that they decided to hold Wilkins out an extra game and he'll likely play next game.  I think that Williams showed enough yesterday that he can be the main guy but they may still decide to make it a committee with Wilkins involved.  You never know.

Edited by sjm76

Hines had 9 rushing attempts which was more than double the amount he has had in any other game this season.  My guess is those extra carries will go to wilkins and williams will see a similar workload to what mack was seeing (15+ min).

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Williams had some good runs yesterday but I'm thinking that they decided to hold Wilkins out an extra game and he'll likely play next game.  I think that Williams showed enough yesterday that he can be the main guy but they may still decide to make it a committee with Wilkins involved.  You never know.

Interesting that they would hold Wilkins out, but have him in on a kick return (which he got called for a blatant block-in-the-back). If he could help play kick returns, why not have him take a handful of snaps at least?

Not trying to single out your comment, but just really curious why a team would do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Interesting that they would hold Wilkins out, but have him in on a kick return (which he got called for a blatant block-in-the-back). If he could help play kick returns, why not have him take a handful of snaps at least?

Not trying to single out your comment, but just really curious why a team would do that.

I agree. I think he was fine but they just wanted to go with Williams. Wilkins may get a carry here & there but he’s obsolete barring another injury in this backfield IMO

Edited by owenmills

On 11/22/2019 at 1:15 AM, Iron-cock said:

Didn’t he show up to camp fat, and say he gained sympathy weight because his wife was pregnant?

On 11/22/2019 at 6:40 AM, 77georgec said:

Wasn’t that Carlos Williams?

On 11/22/2019 at 7:28 AM, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah and he killed it for a minute there lol

I always mix up the two of them.  If only Equanimeous St Brown’s dad got to name everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

I always mix up the two of them.  If only Equanimeous St Brown’s dad got to name everyone.  

I usually handcuff TY Hilton with TJ Yeldon. 

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, DemOrioles said:

The performance when Wilkins wasn’t active?  That performance?  Wilkins is back which in fact does make it complicated.  You can’t expect a repeat.

Cool

These are the type of running backs you hope pop up on the waivers when you go the zero RB route. Not many of them this year. Take full of Williams if you can. RB3 floor. RB1 ceiling.

He got a ton of touches and most promisingly he even got some receptions. I don't love his schedule coming up but the Cotls seem committed to him until Mack gets back which may not be until the fantasy playoffs? Not sure what Mack's schedule is. 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, CrastersCreep said:

Eh I disagree. While he certainly looked serviceable I don’t think he’s starting caliber. I think he’s a guy that can fill in when your starter goes down. There’s nothing wrong with being that guy as only 30ish guys in the league are good/great enough to be starters. He doesn’t really possess any dynamic attributes or hasn’t shown a second gear. Even the guys who you or I would rank as the 20th-30th best RBs in the NFL have either a particular something they do really well, or are highly explosive, great route runners, etc. 

Craziest part about it is the coaches feed him more than they usually feed Mack.  Honestly I agree with you don't think he's a great talent and personally think his TD run was more the D missing tackles then anything he did.  But fantasy is about opportunity and usage hell just look at Matt Asiata a few years back.  if he is gonna get 20 plus carries behind that line he is a solid RB2.

5 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Craziest part about it is the coaches feed him more than they usually feed Mack.  Honestly I agree with you don't think he's a great talent and personally think his TD run was more the D missing tackles then anything he did.  But fantasy is about opportunity and usage hell just look at Matt Asiata a few years back.  if he is gonna get 20 plus carries behind that line he is a solid RB2.

yeah, the touchdown was nice with breaking the tackles, but he had no burst whatsoever. I kept wondering when he was going to kick it into gear so he could score. The burst never came, but fortunately there were no defenders around so it didn’t matter. That was the biggest thing that stuck out to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nromn said:

yeah, the touchdown was nice with breaking the tackles, but he had no burst whatsoever. I kept wondering when he was going to kick it into gear so he could score. The burst never came, but fortunately there were no defenders around so it didn’t matter. That was the biggest thing that stuck out to me. 

Agreed.  But for some reason he has Reicht's trust.  All that matters.

One of the reasons Williams got so many carries was that the T Y Hilton was coming back off injury -- the coach said he was a decoy for a large part of the game.  Plus Brissett had a big brace on his left knee & that's got to affect his passing mechanics.  They were really committed to the run because both Hilton and Brissett aren't all that healthy.    

Expectations for this weeks matchup.  Seems like a trap game coming off of last weeks performance.

22 minutes ago, herschel said:

Expectations for this weeks matchup.  Seems like a trap game coming off of last weeks performance.

Absolutely a trap game. Last week was best case scenario- short week, Wilkins injured, he got like 60 touches in 2 games or something...

Now it's a better run defense and teams can prepare for this. Houston on a short week got gashed but their run defense generally is good.

Start at your own peril but he's a RB2 start.

OC on Big 🤠 Jon ...

"Yeah, I think we have seen that he is able to carry the load – have 20 carries and be able to protect the football. He is a big guy that is tough to tackle and also he has enough shiftiness to make guys miss as well,” Sirianni told reporters Tuesday. “So we are very pleased with what he has shown us and been able to carry the football and carry the workload in that run game. That has been nice to see.”

• Like 3

On 11/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, nromn said:

He doesn’t have a ton of carries but is top 5 in the league for yards after contact. Guys like Jordan Howard and Chris Carson come to mind. Generating yards after contact is very underrated in the NFL and is definitely a top trait for a RB. Albeit, one that is most often overlooked and hardest to gauge until a player is on the field.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, n4sa said:

This years Alvin Kamara.

I wouldn't go that far, lol.  Mack will be back in the next couple of weeks and then it could be a committee in time for the fantasy playoffs.

I see him having another strong week. I think he is going to produce rb2 numbers with rb1 upside until Mack returns.