stay_woke

Daniel Gafford 2019-2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Something worth monitoring if ur thinking of picking Gafford up 
 

He was moving very well when he returned but u never know how these ankle injures turn out the next day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha sucks. Added him a minute before that tweet. From a genius to a fool, how I have fallen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fantasick said:

Hahaha sucks. Added him a minute before that tweet. From a genius to a fool, how I have fallen.

 

he looked fine and a young buck looking to make a name for himself with the guy in front of him out?  I'd imagine he's ready to go Wednesday night.  The injury looked very minor to be honest he sorta just had it twisted at a wierd vertical angle violently then went down like he was shot but tried to stay in the game, got it taped and played quite effectively the rest of the way.

I'm sure he'll be sore but I don't think this injury has any bearing on his availability or really impact with Carter Jr out for a few weeks at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut tells me to not miss out on another Holmes situation. High energy guy with unreal athleticism in line for big minutes. WCJ is going to be out for a few weeks at least. I dropped Mikal Bridges for him. Used 3/4 of my moves this week though damn. Necessary cost to pay. Hopefully it works out 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, justaguy said:

My gut tells me to not miss out on another Holmes situation. High energy guy with unreal athleticism in line for big minutes. WCJ is going to be out for a few weeks at least. I dropped Mikal Bridges for him. Used 3/4 of my moves this week though damn. Necessary cost to pay. Hopefully it works out 

 

same except I dropped culver instead of bridges after adding both last night.  they are all very similar plays imo and have pretty big upside relative to anybody else this time of year in 12+ team competitive leagues.

Edited by laurilegend
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sfektz said:

Who has more upside? MPJ or gafford?

Gafford because of the opportunity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justaguy said:

My gut tells me to not miss out on another Holmes situation. High energy guy with unreal athleticism in line for big minutes. WCJ is going to be out for a few weeks at least. I dropped Mikal Bridges for him. Used 3/4 of my moves this week though damn. Necessary cost to pay. Hopefully it works out 

Lol, his per36s won't be anywhere close to Holmes. He's a must-add in H2H if you're desperate for big man stats; he'll be elite there while getting minutes. But he's also absolutely horrible in other categories (56% from the line in college, 0.7 assists, and he's been uniquely bad at steals so far this year) so you need to know what you're getting into. Ok short term standard add, poor one in roto but still a worthy add. Don't go chasing the hype and dropping significantly better fantasy properties for him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Lol, his per36s won't be anywhere close to Holmes. He's a must-add in H2H if you're desperate for big man stats; he'll be elite there while getting minutes. But he's also absolutely horrible in other categories (56% from the line in college, 0.7 assists, and he's been uniquely bad at steals so far this year) so you need to know what you're getting into. Ok short term standard add, poor one in roto but still a worthy add. Don't go chasing the hype and dropping significantly better fantasy properties for him.

Holmes derives his value primarily from fg% and boards, not d stats/ ft%. Gafford does the same, except he offers huge blocks upside that dwarfs Richaun. Holmes has a better steal and ft% rate. Evens out imo, assuming equal minutes. Time will tell

 

Also, idrc if his per36 numbers will be lower than Holmes. That's not a category in my league, unfortunately. Gafford is averaging 1.9 blocks in under 20 minutes a game. Each time he hits 25+ he produces. 

Edited by justaguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s very rare for an ankle injury to be considered serious if the player came back into the game and played on it.

Yeah, a little bit of swelling might occur afterwards, but chances are it wasn’t that serious of a sprain if he came back into the game. You know when it’s a bad sprain.

my guess is that if ANYTHING, maybe he misses 1 game, but it seems unlikely.

my guess is that he iced tonight, we’ll stay off of it or do light work on their off day, and then court test it on Wednesday.

 

On a production based note, this guy will be a lock for Top-75 value if Carter Jr misses extended time.

The guy is already averaging 1.3 BLK per game, and he’s barely playing 12 MPG. 
 

He should have no problem being an 10pt/6reb/2blk guy with great FG% if he gets 20-25 Minutes Per Game.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

Can this guy make any noise in (deeper) points leagues?

Yes and the longer WCJ is out the louder the noise will be...12 team plus add fo sho...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the video where he sprained his ankle

Lol refs thought Boylen wanted a timeout to get Gafford out but Boylen was yelling at the refs that he was subbing and didn’t want to call a timeout 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, justaguy said:

Holmes derives his value primarily from fg% and boards, not d stats/ ft%. Gafford does the same, except he offers huge blocks upside that dwarfs Richaun. Holmes has a better steal and ft% rate. Evens out imo, assuming equal minutes. Time will tell

 

Also, idrc if his per36 numbers will be lower than Holmes. That's not a category in my league, unfortunately. Gafford is averaging 1.9 blocks in under 20 minutes a game. Each time he hits 25+ he produces. 

It's an absolute joke that you think Gafford will be anywhere near Holmes per36 this season. People have been salivating over Richaun getting decent minutes for years. It's why he's winning people leagues. Holmes is hitting 82% of his free throws. Gafford is hitting 50%. Stop giving bad advice. You're overselling him because you added him, not because he's worthy of it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

It's an absolute joke that you think Gafford will be anywhere near Holmes per36 this season. People have been salivating over Richaun getting decent minutes for years. It's why he's winning people leagues. Holmes is hitting 82% of his free throws. Gafford is hitting 50%. Stop giving bad advice. You're overselling him because you added him, not because he's worthy of it. 

I dont know if you're dense or you're being deliberately obtuse. I just said I dont care about their per 36. If I can get similar fg%, boards and higher blocks with less steals and ft%, it's a wash. "Salivating for years" - hyperbole if I've ever seen one. Show me the hordes of Richaun Truthers over the years. Even if you could, which I doubt, there wouldnt be any for Gafford because, oh wait, he is a rookie. Not a journeyman who finally found a place to stick. 

I lost some brain cells entertaining this nonsense. We'll see how Gafford plays out.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if WCJ is out until the allstar break and the bulls are out of the playoff race by then he could become a season long pickup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, justaguy said:

I just said I dont care about their per 36.

I guess we have different opinions on actually winning at fantasy basketball. Good luck with collecting exciting rookies; I don't win any money for that in my league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

Why is there a dick measuring contest on nearly all of the threads on Roto!? 

 

 

 

Yeah nobody cares if hes gonna be as good as Holmes. His upside in fg%, rbs and blocks makes him a pickup

Edited by Chrizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

Why is there a dick measuring contest on nearly all of the threads on Roto!? 

 

 


yea but mines bigger than yours, probably.

Gafford is interesting though. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

Why is there a dick measuring contest on nearly all of the threads on Roto!?

None on my end; someone that repeatedly ignores that one player misses 30+% more of his free throws than the one he decided to compare him to needs to be called out for pretending the dude he added is a league-winner for all. There's a reason that, after all the mouth-breathing about Gafford in this thread, Gafford's (already lower) ownership percentage in Pro Leagues didn't even rise as much as Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's. It's because some of us know what we're doing, and some newer players can't differentiate those posters.

Edited by miasma16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

None on my end; someone that repeatedly ignores that one player misses 30+% more of his free throws than the one he decided to compare him to needs to be called out for pretending the dude he added is a league-winner for all. There's a reason that, after all the mouth-breathing about Gafford in this thread, Gafford's (already lower) ownership percentage in Pro Leagues didn't even rise as much as Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's. It's because some of us know what we're doing, and some newer players can't differentiate those posters.

If you're gonna come, you better come correct. Which in this case, you did not. So let me explain this to you again, for the last time (though I'm not hopeful given the absence of rational thought you've demonstrated to this point).

1) I never compared Richaun and Gafford as free throw shooters. But if you want to malign Gafford because he shoots less than Holmes from the line, you must take into consideration that he averages 1.1 attempts / game. A "pro" would realize that missing ~0.4 fts per game will not even marginally impact your ft% for the week. The fact that this is the criticism you use to repeatedly downplay Gafford just goes to show you dont understand the volume/efficiency relationship in the ft and fg categories. That is fatally asinine. Unsurprisingly however.

2) Now look at my initial post. I compared his athleticism and energy to Holmes. I also said that Holmes derives most of his value from fg% , blocks and rebounds (https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/adjusted-fantasy-values-category-191732945.html). Assuming you are able to read critically (which is a massive assumption from what I have seen so far) you would see that richaun doesnt generate much value from ft% - just 1% of his value comes from there. 28% comes from fg%, 21% from blocks and 16% from rebounds. Gafford can rebound, block shots and serve as a fg% anchor. His low volume on fts makes the hit minimal at worst. If Richaun produces 1% of his value from ft%,  Gafford will be at 0%. What a huge difference!

 

Z-scores will tell you the same story - Richauns z score for fg%, blocks and rebounds are 2.44, 1.30, 0.89 respectively. His ft% z score is 0.14

Instead of straw manning and twisting my arguments, actually look at what I said. I compared their playing style and strengths (fg%, blocks and rebounds). Richaun isnt winning people leagues because he is a ft% anchor.

I hope that's clear. I didn't say Gafford is winning people leagues. But he can help teams in ways Richaun is helping right now - mainly in fg% , rebounds, and blocks. 

Edited by justaguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us who like fun, any news on WCJ or the torch passing to Ser Daniel of House Gafford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, justaguy said:

Richauns z score for fg%, blocks and rebounds are 2.44, 1.30, 0.89 respectively. His ft% z score is 0.14

And what is Gafford's? Right. That's the singular, overwhelming majority of the reason that Richaun Holmes is currently winning people leagues and Gafford cannot possibly do so in leagues with FT% as a category. Your comparison of the two (which you did, no idea why people lie about things when all anyone has to do is scroll up and see that they did so): 

19 hours ago, justaguy said:

My gut tells me to not miss out on another Holmes situation.

was misguided and ignorant. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

And what is Gafford's? Right. That's the singular, overwhelming majority of the reason that Richaun Holmes is currently winning people leagues and Gafford cannot possibly do so in leagues with FT% as a category. Your comparison of the two (which you did, no idea why people lie about things when all anyone has to do is scroll up and see that they did so): 

was misguided and ignorant. Stop making a fool of yourself.

I guess you don't understand the concept of z-scores. Holmes situation = another player that can help big time in categories that play to Richaun's strengths. Gafford hasn't been able to because of the lack of opportunity. Fg% rebounds and blocks will go up significantly if WCJ misses time. A self-described "pro" which struggles with basic English and basic concepts like a z scores is what you call ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.