tonycpsu

2019 "Cool Story, Bro!" Thread

Recommended Posts

My opponent needed more than 3.5 points from Lockett last night to beat me, and I had no one else left. He got the 3.5 points in the 1st quarter, or maybe it was early 2nd quarter. So at that point, we're tied 110.5 to 110.5. I had obviously already written off this week as loss to begin with.

Then something strange happened. Lockett did nothing for the rest of the 2nd quarter, and nothing in the 3rd quarter. I couldn't believe what I was watching. As we all know, then he did nothing in the 4th quarter and got hurt somewhere (leg contusion). 

We finish up tied 110.5 to 110.5, but I win the tiebreaker because of more QB points (my Kyler Murray to his Derek Carr). I haven't gotten that lucky in a while. Honestly, I still can't believe it played out like that.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. At any rate, that really made my week! 🌝

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... This started in the Vent & Rant thread, and NEARLY finished there...

Heading into MNF, I was up 159.1 to 105, but my opponent had Wilson, Lockett, Coleman and the SF D/ST, and she was projected for 161.8. I knew I'd be sweating out MNF...

And I was. All game long. 

I'm sitting there sweating the game, as expected. As we near the end of regulation, I'm up something like 159.1 to 153. As time is about to expire I'm just praying that McLaughlin misses the FG so there's no overtime. But alas, he hits it and we're going to OT. 

In OT there's no Lockett, so at least I'm safe there. Seahawks get the ball. The start driving as Wilson starts slowly accumulating points. Then he throws the pick! Great, that's -2 for Wilson... But it's also +2 for the SF D/ST... So it's even. I'm still up about 2 points at this time, and the SF D/ST is at 21. 

In OT, all of a sudden SF is rolling with Mostert instead of Coleman, so here's my chance. All they need to do, after the long INT return, is get SLIGHT positive yardage and maybe the rookie kicker can put the game on ice and end it. They move the ball, set up a 47-yarder... And McLaughlin shanks it. 

Two three-and-outs, and the ball is back to Wilson and the Seattle offense, I'm still up just under two points...

And I watch Wilson throw a couple of passes AND have an 18-yard scramble. I storm out of the room angrily, knowing that his scramble was the nail in the coffin and I'm screwed. Now the margin has been made up.

In the bathroom, I hear my wife call back from the living room... "You realize you won, right, you big dummy???"

No... No way I won? I just saw Wilson scramble. That put her over the top and just barely over my 159.1. They kicked the FG. There's no way I won...

BUT! That 40-yard drive pushed the Seahawks from 296 yards gained to 336 yards gained... >=299 is 2 points. 300-350 is 0 points. So instead of 21 points, the SF D/ST finished with 19. 

So I won... 159.1 to 157.7. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

So... This started in the Vent & Rant thread, and NEARLY finished there...

Heading into MNF, I was up 159.1 to 105, but my opponent had Wilson, Lockett, Coleman and the SF D/ST, and she was projected for 161.8. I knew I'd be sweating out MNF...

And I was. All game long. 

I'm sitting there sweating the game, as expected. As we near the end of regulation, I'm up something like 159.1 to 153. As time is about to expire I'm just praying that McLaughlin misses the FG so there's no overtime. But alas, he hits it and we're going to OT. 

In OT there's no Lockett, so at least I'm safe there. Seahawks get the ball. The start driving as Wilson starts slowly accumulating points. Then he throws the pick! Great, that's -2 for Wilson... But it's also +2 for the SF D/ST... So it's even. I'm still up about 2 points at this time, and the SF D/ST is at 21. 

In OT, all of a sudden SF is rolling with Mostert instead of Coleman, so here's my chance. All they need to do, after the long INT return, is get SLIGHT positive yardage and maybe the rookie kicker can put the game on ice and end it. They move the ball, set up a 47-yarder... And McLaughlin shanks it. 

Two three-and-outs, and the ball is back to Wilson and the Seattle offense, I'm still up just under two points...

And I watch Wilson throw a couple of passes AND have an 18-yard scramble. I storm out of the room angrily, knowing that his scramble was the nail in the coffin and I'm screwed. Now the margin has been made up.

In the bathroom, I hear my wife call back from the living room... "You realize you won, right, you big dummy???"

No... No way I won? I just saw Wilson scramble. That put her over the top and just barely over my 159.1. They kicked the FG. There's no way I won...

BUT! That 40-yard drive pushed the Seahawks from 296 yards gained to 336 yards gained... >=299 is 2 points. 300-350 is 0 points. So instead of 21 points, the SF D/ST finished with 19. 

So I won... 159.1 to 157.7. 

I was gonna be a smarta** and say tldr.

But that's actually a good one.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm here, I'll go ahead and add my own cool story.

Was down by 8 going into Sunday night.   I only had Amari Cooper left to play.   I need him to get at least 9 points.   We play no decimal and any ties go to the higher bench score.  I had a bunch on bye so that's a non starter.  Let me tell you...I was biting my nails up to game time.   How the f am I going to pull this one off.  Every pass that didn't go to Cooper, I was cussing and throwing food at the TV.   Well...by halftime, Cooper had done enough for me to be ahead.  Now I had to hope that he didn't lose yards or have 4 or 5 fumbles.  Pins and needles I tell you.   Luckily he had a good 2nd half and damn near put up over 30 total points. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN.com published an article on one-hit wonders in the NFL.  They mentioned Jonas Gray's 4 TD explosion for the Patriots.  What is even ore awesome about this was that I played him out of desperation on my fantasy team.  I didn't really need the points to win the game but those points gave me the league lead in points which was worth a few bucks.  Ended up losing in the finals that year.  Super awesome story with a super sad ending.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In two leagues still battling for a playoff spot. In one I have Chubb going tonight, and the other I'm going against him. So at least if Chubb busts, I'm at least off to a good start in one league, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One guy in my league has picked up Jay Ajayi now for the third time this season. Third time a charm?🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FitzMagic said:

One guy in my league has picked up Jay Ajayi now for the third time this season. Third time a charm?🤣

It sure wasn't for me and Herndon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I drafted Derrick Henry round 1 pick 12 in the rotoworld mock draft league and I plan on winning the whole thing.

When dreams become reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually really on top of FF stuff on Sunday. I'll occasionally mention that over the years the one thing I've learned about FF is that you should avoid checking your score during the games...but half the agony fun is in keeping close tabs on how much your idiot line-up is failing while the oppo racks up the points. I usually can't resist checking in during Church/kids' school play/sex/dinner/the birth of my child - whatever. Today I knew Emmanuel Sanders was super-questionable, so I stuck Cole Beasley in because I didn't want to risk it, and it meant I didn't have to be glued to my phone between 3 and 3:30.

My wife's out on the lash tonight, so I helped the kids with their music practice, homework, bedtime etc. Sat down to watch the game. It never even occurred to me that Robert Woods might be inactive.

Arse.

Here's the reason this is probably a CSB and not a V or R. The other guy has only got Kelce left, and is 35pts behind. And here's the other reason. My opponent in my other league has Robert Woods in his line-up. Hee hee.

Just please, no career game from Kelce this Monday, thanks all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Poop

 

My story? Fair enough 😄.

I will add - the guy who played Robert Woods at FLEX also had Tyler Boyd at FLEX, David Johnson at RB2. and Jack Doyle at TE, so he got a grand total of 1.5pts from those positions. Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, leffe186 said:

 

My story? Fair enough 😄.

I will add - the guy who played Robert Woods at FLEX also had Tyler Boyd at FLEX, David Johnson at RB2. and Jack Doyle at TE, so he got a grand total of 1.5pts from those positions. Nice.

Wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 2-4 and left for dead in my 12 team PPR league.  

Drafted: 

1st - OBJ (WR21)

2nd - Antonio Brown (WR134)

4th - Sony Michel (RB30)

5th - Damien Williams (RB36)

6th - OJ Howard (TE36)

7th - Dede Westbrook (WR58) 

 

That is weak. Very weak. But yet I’ve won 4 of my past 5 to climb to 6-5. 

My big hit was Aaron Jones in the 3rd, and late snags of Kyler Murray, Waller, Kirk, Zane Gonzalez (the kicker), and niners defense. 

Waller, Kirk, and Jones have all single handily won me weeks. 

Ive made the best possible start/sit decisions of my life in the last few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down 3 going into SNF where it was supposed to be my kicker vs. their only remaining player, Woods, and I'd know what(if anything I'd need for MNF). Really liked my chances against Woods, since his QB has been bad lately, and the Bears, though they haven't been the BEars of last year, still should be able to handle Goff (which they did).

Unfortunately, my opponent saw the surprise inactivation of Woods, and subbed in Watkins, who while he hasn't done much lately, still has Mahomes as his QB, leaving me with Henry and Ekeler vs. Watkins and thankfully Watkins wasn't a factor at all, and I won by over 20 pts, lol. 

Still 1 game and about 40 pts out of the last playoff spot, so got some work to do, but have some winnable matchups next 2 weeks so hopefully I can claw my way in, lol

Edited by JCDaly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brosephs:

 

Due to bye weeks, concussed WRs, and a drunken draft, I had to start (in 12 team standard league) WR Davante Parker, RB Gus Edwards, and TE Ryan Griffin.  

 

They combined for 51 points in a blowout W!  Really looking forward to the cbs sportsline recap lauding my clairvoyant coaching skillz!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Al.Davis said:

My brosephs:

 

Due to bye weeks, concussed WRs, and a drunken draft, I had to start (in 12 team standard league) WR Davante Parker, RB Gus Edwards, and TE Ryan Griffin.  

 

They combined for 51 points in a blowout W!  Really looking forward to the cbs sportsline recap lauding my clairvoyant coaching skillz!!

 

We had a guy score 195 points this year (135 range would be a well above-average score and win most weeks), and Fantasy Journalist wrote how he didn't start some player he should have based on the Sportsline projections. It's never positive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tenner said:

I was 2-4 and left for dead in my 12 team PPR league.  

Drafted: 

1st - OBJ (WR21)

2nd - Antonio Brown (WR134)

4th - Sony Michel (RB30)

5th - Damien Williams (RB36)

6th - OJ Howard (TE36)

7th - Dede Westbrook (WR58) 

Come to think of it. Out of all these guys, only OBJ is on my team. 

I moved on somewhat quickly I suppose. Could have easily fell into the sunk cost fallacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DoYourJob said:

All 5 of my RBs finished top 30 in half ppr (Zeke, Cohen, Jacobs, Drake, and Hunt) :)

 

I got excited because my FLEXes were the #1 and #2 WRs this week (Chark and John Brown), but then saw that the guy in second place had the #1, #2, #3 and #6 RBs (CMc, Ingram, Gurley and Ekeler).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Come to think of it. Out of all these guys, only OBJ is on my team. 

I moved on somewhat quickly I suppose. Could have easily fell into the sunk cost fallacy. 

It's hard to recover though.   I took OBJ, then JuJu.   Dropped JuJu and only started OBJ once in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

But even avoiding sunk cost fallacy,  it's an uphill battle spotting everyone not just one, but two starting picks.  

Edited by K197040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.