Squid3

Tyler Higbee 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Def good points but with Everett back and playing the niners D is such a huge risk. Also if you watch how the niners play man all they do is pound the run, drain the clock, throw a few passes here and there. The clock is always running with the niners idk how much opportunity higbee will even have.

My other options are witten and fant lol I pretty much have to roll with higbee and hope everett sees limited snaps. 

So everyone is fully informed, Higbee had 7 targets and like 50 yards on the last two drives in blowout garbage time (I watched the drives and just reaffirmed it by looking at the play-by-play).  Cowboys gave up free 6 yard button hooks to the slot on the right side and just made the tackle immediately to keep the clock running. Goff essentially just threw to that position (either Higbee or Kupp) almost every play.  Although he got double digit targets the prior game as well, that was against a team that was bad against the TE and without Everett siphoning snaps

This sounds awfully similar to the quandary Andrews owners were in last week, with a brutal matchup against the second-best defense vs. TEs, in addition to a player nursing an injury, on a short week, with a cadre of other capable pass-catching TEs.  If memory serves, Andrews owners were well rewarded.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

This sounds awfully similar to the quandary Andrews owners were in last week, with a brutal matchup against the second-best defense vs. TEs, in addition to a player nursing an injury, on a short week, with a cadre of other capable pass-catching TEs.  If memory serves, Andrews owners were well rewarded.

With an MVP QB though, not Road Goff.  Also, Jamal Adams didn't play

Edited by abachar

6 minutes ago, abachar said:

With an MVP QB though, not Road Goff.  Also, Jamal Adams didn't play

And also Andrews wasn’t on a historic streak of 100+-yard games....The only name-worthy TE not to score a TD since Week 10 against this defense was Hooper - who was as close as possible to scoring one.  

Josh Hill scored one on 3 targets.

8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Here’s to hoping the 49rs get out to an early big lead.  

I think this is going to be a hard fought divisional game. This is my toughest choice this week.

Undecided on whether to start him or Gesicki against CIN...feel like I have to stick with the hot hand and roll with Higbee, but with Everett coming back I'm just not sure. I'll probably flip-flop 3 or 4 times between now and tomorrow night...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsid3 said:

Undecided on whether to start him or Gesicki against CIN...feel like I have to stick with the hot hand and roll with Higbee, but with Everett coming back I'm just not sure. I'll probably flip-flop 3 or 4 times between now and tomorrow night...

Right there with you - somehow the safe floor of Gesicki is beginning to sound more enticing.  Taking a brief glance at Goff’s “performance” last time around against these Niners provoked a state of shell shock.

Low chance to score a TD against the 49ers defense. Not a lock for high targets with Everett coming back. I would avoid. I can see a 4 catch 25 yard game

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

Apples and Oranges. Andrews has been producing all year in a TE timeshare... Higbee hasn’t.  The only question with Andrews was health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Apples and Oranges. Andrews has been producing all year in a TE timeshare... Higbee hasn’t.  The only question with Andrews was health.

Yes, I agree - my point was that, in the event the Ravens felt wary of pushing Andrews to play while injured on a short week against a team they were destined to destroy, they had other viable options to fill in.  That created more uncertainty as to whether he’d actually suit up - or play significant snaps.

Edited by BMcP

Why did Everett have to comeback and make my slim chances of winning even slimmer. I have 2 other Rams (Gurley, Kupp) playing so was already hesitant on having Higbee as the 3rd but now this situation looks worse.  At the same time, I feel like if I bench him he gets good double digits lol. I have OJ Howard but he's timesharing as well, so Higbee situation is the same.

What a meteoric rise for this guy, who entered December with 26 receptions for 212 yards and 1 TD (in 10 games), and put up 43 receptions for 522 yards and 2 TDs in the season's final 5 games. 

He closes the year with 69 catches for 734 yards and 3 TDs, and is firmly in the conversation as a top 10 TE going into 2020. I actually expect him to push for top 5 TE numbers next year, as his size, speed, athleticism, and rapport with Goff are all borderline elite. It was a down year for the Rams offense as a whole, but Higbee's emergence seemed to breathe new life into Goff/the offense over the final 5 games. It's puzzling as to why it took the Rams so long to feature him, but it looks like he's here to stay. Everett is in the final year of his rookie contract while Higbee is signed for 3 more years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

What a meteoric rise for this guy, who entered December with 26 receptions for 212 yards and 1 TD (in 10 games), and put up 43 receptions for 522 yards and 2 TDs in the season's final 5 games. 

He closes the year with 69 catches for 734 yards and 3 TDs, and is firmly in the conversation as a top 10 TE going into 2020. I actually expect him to push for top 5 TE numbers next year, as his size, speed, athleticism, and rapport with Goff are all borderline elite. It was a down year for the Rams offense as a whole, but Higbee's emergence seemed to breathe new life into Goff/the offense over the final 5 games. It's puzzling as to why it took the Rams so long to feature him, but it looks like he's here to stay. Everett is in the final year of his rookie contract while Higbee is signed for 3 more years.

TE will be so deep next year.

Kelce

Kittle

Ertz

Cook

Hooper

Waller

HIgbee

Gesicki

Henry

Rudolph (if cut and Pats sign him)

Edited by affliction

13 minutes ago, affliction said:

Kelce

Kittle

Ertz

Cook

Hooper

Waller

HIgbee

Gesicki

Henry

Agreed, there will be plenty of exciting options and less pressure than ever to spend an early round pick on a "premium" TE (of which I would argue only Kelce and Kittle still qualify, Ertz has fallen off a bit with the emergence of Goedert). 

However, a couple of these guys are going to vastly outperform their ADP/expectations and put up top 3-5 TE seasons, and if you're in a keeper/dynasty you might have been able to acquire several of these guys essentially for free and suddenly you're in position to turn a tidy profit. 

Edited by mjb03003

This guy is basically what everyone expects from Kelce every week and he was free off the waiver wire.  Have him very cheap in my keeper league and very excited about next year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, affliction said:

Kelce

Kittle

Ertz

Cook

Hooper

Waller

HIgbee

Gesicki

Henry

and you forgot andrews, engram, Goedert (if ertz moved), Herndon if he can get right, and guys who I’m sure will be billed as potential second year breakouts in Fant, Smith and Hockenson. 

3 hours ago, affliction said:

Kelce

Kittle

Ertz

Cook

Hooper

Waller

HIgbee

Gesicki

Henry

2/3 of that list is going to be major bust material  or boom/bust so grab 2 and hold on 😂

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2019 at 5:47 AM, affliction said:

Kelce

Kittle

Ertz

Cook

Hooper

Waller

HIgbee

Gesicki

Henry

CSB disclaimer. I've got Kittle, Waller and Higbee starting and Noah Fant on my taxi squad in a dynasty flex league with 1.5 ppr for TEs...my plums are getting swole just thinking about next season. 

Edited by pikerbkb

On 12/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, dashoe said:

2/3 of that list is going to be major bust material  or boom/bust so grab 2 and hold on 😂

What makes you say that? Kelce, ertz and Kittle have proven track records, and most of the guys on the list are fresh faces who have shown they can ball