Coach George

Dellin Betances 2020 Outlook

Anyone else think that Betances could be a top 10 closer in the right situation?  He's coming off an Achilles injury and is a free agent.  Rotoworld posted a rumor that he could be signing with the Phillies and might compete with Neris for the closers job.  I like his chances to win that battle eventually.  He's dirt cheap right now and definitely could be a guy that rockets up rankings in the right situation if he proves to be healthy.

9 hours ago, Coach George said:

Anyone else think that Betances could be a top 10 closer in the right situation?  He's coming off an Achilles injury and is a free agent.  Rotoworld posted a rumor that he could be signing with the Phillies and might compete with Neris for the closers job.  I like his chances to win that battle eventually.  He's dirt cheap right now and definitely could be a guy that rockets up rankings in the right situation if he proves to be healthy.

Hard to judge until he decides on a team. I do think he has very good bounce back potential and should be very cheap. I doubt he's given a closer role out of the gate but he would definitely be a middle reliever to target looking for elite K rates and a legit chance to be the closer. Taking a quick scan of all the closer situations there'd only a handful I'd think he'd be the favorite to close out of the gate.

Delin has been one of the  best relievers for the last 6 years.  career 2.36 ERA with a 14.6 k/9.  his problem has always been he does lose the strike zone sometimes.  otherwise his numbers would probably be better. im thinking you can get a TOP fireman or even closer on a team friendly 3 year deal with a 4th year option because of his leg injury.  i want the yanks to resign him

13 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Hard to judge until he decides on a team. I do think he has very good bounce back potential and should be very cheap. I doubt he's given a closer role out of the gate but he would definitely be a middle reliever to target looking for elite K rates and a legit chance to be the closer. Taking a quick scan of all the closer situations there'd only a handful I'd think he'd be the favorite to close out of the gate.

I think he could be the closer immediately in Boston and it wouldn't take long for him to surpass Neris in Philadelphia.  Two good teams that should win some games and generate some saves.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:03 AM, Coach George said:

I think he could be the closer immediately in Boston and it wouldn't take long for him to surpass Neris in Philadelphia.  Two good teams that should win some games and generate some saves.

Atlanta seems like a good spot to me. What Shane Greene's situation/contract?

33 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Atlanta seems like a good spot to me. What Shane Greene's situation/contract?

Didnt they just give big money to Will Smith, are already on the hook for the monstrosity they took on with the Melancon contract.  

12 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Didnt they just give big money to Will Smith, are already on the hook for the monstrosity they took on with the Melancon contract.  

Oh yeah, I forgot about Will Smith. Thanks.

He seems like one of those guys who (and maybe this is the spotlight of NY too) but that he has failed to run with the opp in the 9th when he has had it, and seems destined to be an elite lights out 7th or 8th inning guy.   Looking at his career splits, his career ERA in the 7th inning 1.78, in the 8th its 2.18, both of those are elite, in the 9th inning his ERA is 3.69, he has more innings in the 9th than the 7th, so there is a decent sample size there. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, parrothead said:

He seems like one of those guys who (and maybe this is the spotlight of NY too) but that he has failed to run with the opp in the 9th when he has had it, and seems destined to be an elite lights out 7th or 8th inning guy.   Looking at his career splits, his career ERA in the 7th inning 1.78, in the 8th its 2.18, both of those are elite, in the 9th inning his ERA is 3.69, he has more innings in the 9th than the 7th, so there is a decent sample size there. 

I don't really get caught up in the "he's not a 9th inning guy" stuff.  To me, he hasn't been a 9th inning guy because he's been stuck behind great relievers in New York. He's one of the top relievers in the game when he's healthy.  If I need a strikeout in a clutch situation then I can't think of many guys in baseball that I would rather have on the mound.

Watch Kirby Yates pitch and then watch Betances...and then tell me who is the more dominant reliever. If Betances lands in the right situation, I think he could be really, really valuable.

1 hour ago, Coach George said:

I don't really get caught up in the "he's not a 9th inning guy" stuff.  To me, he hasn't been a 9th inning guy because he's been stuck behind great relievers in New York. He's one of the top relievers in the game when he's healthy.  If I need a strikeout in a clutch situation then I can't think of many guys in baseball that I would rather have on the mound.

Watch Kirby Yates pitch and then watch Betances...and then tell me who is the more dominant reliever. If Betances lands in the right situation, I think he could be really, really valuable.

He has had some chances - and while I dont like to play drug-store shrink either, especially with closers, I think it is a real thing, those 3 outs because of the finality of it are more difficult for some than the "safety net" of the 7th or 8th - and that in all likelihood is also factoring in the NY aspect as well, so not only the pressure cooker of the closer, but the closer of the Yankees.  

To the Mets...

I think he’s the best reliever in that pen now. He might not be their closer initially but I think he will take over the role eventually.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:11 AM, Coach George said:

I don't really get caught up in the "he's not a 9th inning guy" stuff.  To me, he hasn't been a 9th inning guy because he's been stuck behind great relievers in New York

While this has been true since Chapman was acquired, Dellin was tested out as a closer earlier in his career to no avail.

Mariano retired in 2013, with that David Robertson was next in line and immediately became the closer in 2014. Dellin, recovering from injuries, rose his way up NYY's bullpen, received an All-Star bid, and established himself as a high-K 8th inning set up man. That offseason, Robertson leaves in FA and the Yanks sign Andrew Miller to set up Betances. Miller at this time was a good but not great set up man for Boston and was traded earlier that season to Baltimore in their run for the AL East. This happened at the same time Zach Britton broke out as his first year as a closer and Miller at no point was closing for the O's.

Entering 2015, the Yankees closer spot became open due to Robinson's departure. Betances had every opportunity to take it and run but kept blowing things up in the 9th. Although not signed to become a closer, Miller took over, dominated, and the position was his.

Chapman was acquired the first time in 2016 and then at the trade deadline, him and Miller got dealt to the Cubs and Indians respectively. Betances again couldn't establish himself as the bonafide go to guy in New York, so when the opportunity came to sign Chapman in free agency, the Yankees pounced.

Betances has had opportunity but has never been able to seal the deal. I'd imagine Betances will cost a top 150 or so pick, maybe higher, if there's hype for him taking over for the Mets. Unless things have changed with him mentally, I do not think he is able to close in the 9th given his history with the Yankees.

He does have a 2.01 ERA in save situations. That might be a little misleading because his ERA is substantially higher in the 9th inning than any other inning.

Regardless, I like his talent if he can come back and be healthy.

• Like 2