dschddny

Who gets your vote for non-injury related Bust of the Year?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LoneSoldier said:

OBJ IMO is the biggest bust. Not only was he a high draft pick, you also have to play him weekly thinking you can get points out of him eventually, which doesn't happen. At least with OJ and AB, they will not lose you games cause they should be on the waivers...

So many times earlier in the year I tried to "buy low" on OBJ!  Thankfully I was never successful lol!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sjm76 said:

As soon as I heard about Brown's feet  sexual escapades, I put him on my "do not draft" list.  I just had a feeling that this would be a lost season for him.

 

I fixed it for you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

This is a bad take. Compare him to OBJ. At least Evans has had his blowup games and his floor is basically OBJ’s average. He was also drafted after OBJ lol. 

 

In general, too many people are looking at the season-long totals to figure out who's a bust or not, when we play a weekly game.

Consider a player who catches 10 80-yard TDs in Week 1. Nothing close to this has ever happened in real life, but it's not physically impossible. This hypothetical player would put up a 10-800-10 line in that game, good for 150 fantasy points. Whomever owned this player would certainly win their Week 1 matchup.

Now consider that this player stays healthy and starts the next 15 games, but performs like a WR4, mixing up near-donuts with occasional 2-50-1 type games. At the end of the season they have a 70-1300-13 line, good for 278 fantasy points. That would have been good for a WR10 season-long finish last year.

Is this player really a WR1? They only gave you one good game. The owner of this player would not be guaranteed to make the playoffs. What if they benched them Week 1? They would have been chasing those points all season long while getting only WR4 production in return.

Consistency wins games week-to-week. Not occasional blowups that are impossible to predict. It's fair to label players a bust if they've been inconsistent, even if they're in the top-10 at their position in season-long points.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Mike Evans. Yes, he's the PPR WR3 overall. All of his points have come from 4 nice games, and he's closing out the season in a long, frustrating slump.

I saw him as a safe, boring, low-risk, high-floor pick. He's been held under 50 yards in 7 out of 12 games.

At the same time, a guy like this can kill you more than a player who's injured. You can never bench a healthy guy who's capable of putting up 200 yards and 3 TDs in any given game, whereas we've known for a long time not to start JuJu for a variety of reasons.

I mean, he probably won you four weeks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it has to be AB. If you consider him an outlier, I think the popular answer is going to be Odell/juju/mixon. I’m going to dive a little deeper though with OJ Howard. So many people didn’t get to pick up guys like Waller and Andrews because they thought they were set at TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ryansm11 said:

I mean it has to be AB. If you consider him an outlier, I think the popular answer is going to be Odell/juju/mixon. I’m going to dive a little deeper though with OJ Howard. So many people didn’t get to pick up guys like Waller and Andrews because they thought they were set at TE. 

Spot on

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

You didn't even read my breakdown of your original post. You just chose to skip over it, give me some definition of the word "collective". My point was simply that you need to relax and stop making things so personal on here. Like I said, it's a subjective thread on a fantasy forum.

 

I read your post. I disagree with it.  Nothing personal.  You were wrong in your comprehension and explanation. You are also currently pursuing a basis that it's subjective interpretation and it isnt. There is no subjective interpretation if you understand what the word collective means. My original post was straightforward, so we can't BOTH be correct. 

So why do you keep insisting this is personal?  😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

 

In general, too many people are looking at the season-long totals to figure out who's a bust or not, when we play a weekly game.

Consider a player who catches 10 80-yard TDs in Week 1. Nothing close to this has ever happened in real life, but it's not physically impossible. This hypothetical player would put up a 10-800-10 line in that game, good for 150 fantasy points. Whomever owned this player would certainly win their Week 1 matchup.

Now consider that this player stays healthy and starts the next 15 games, but performs like a WR4, mixing up near-donuts with occasional 2-50-1 type games. At the end of the season they have a 70-1300-13 line, good for 278 fantasy points. That would have been good for a WR10 season-long finish last year.

Is this player really a WR1? They only gave you one good game. The owner of this player would not be guaranteed to make the playoffs. What if they benched them Week 1? They would have been chasing those points all season long while getting only WR4 production in return.

Consistency wins games week-to-week. Not occasional blowups that are impossible to predict. It's fair to label players a bust if they've been inconsistent, even if they're in the top-10 at their position in season-long points.

 

Then this would make Edelman the fantasy wr1 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

 

Consistency wins games week-to-week. Not occasional blowups that are impossible to predict. It's fair to label players a bust if they've been inconsistent, even if they're in the top-10 at their position in season-long points.

Wait, did I stumble into the Aaron Jones thread by mistake? 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah, collectively I'd say the Browns were a bust, but I drafted Myles Garrett as IDP and Landry as WR, so I'm perfectly happy. I'm a Browns fan, and didn't want to go anywhere near OBJ or Njoku. Would have happily taken Chubb or Hunt. One great joy of FF is that we don't have to worry about teams as a whole for the most part. I'd have loved to have drafted Devante Parker.

Words that have never been typed before "I'd have loved to have drafted Devante Parker"! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

OBJ

Also considered: Gurley, Hopkins, 

Gurley was drafted as a low end RB1 and has been a high end RB2.

People love to illogically bash on the dude.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Gurley was drafted as a low end RB1 and has been a high end RB2.

People love to illogically bash on the dude.

 

I said considered. He was drafted as a low-end RB1 because people thought he could be overall RB1 again. He's been nothing exciting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dschddny said:

Words that have never been typed before "I'd have loved to have drafted Devante Parker"! 🤣

 

Yeah, let me rephrase that. I'd love for somebody to have included him as a throw-in in a trade to me after weeks two or three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixon feels like a total bust but if you look at the stats he's been a mid-level RB2.  Given that about 10 RBs were drafted before him that's not a substantial bust.  He's a bust, but a mild one.

Beckham and Juju, on the other hand, have been brutal.  They were drafted as WR7 and WR6, respectively, and at a position that is usually thought to have a lot less volatility than RB.  When you spend a first or mid-to-early second round pick on a WR, it's because of perceived "safety" in the pick.  You are essentially saying "I know that the upside in a RB is higher, but I don't want this flavor of the year type to bust on me like CJ Spiller/Jeremy Hill/etc. did so I'm going to a safe pick like one of these stud WRs... at worse he'll be like WR10 and that won't kill me."  So to me guys like Juju and Beckham are just bust-a-licious.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

I mean it has to be AB. If you consider him an outlier, I think the popular answer is going to be Odell/juju/mixon. I’m going to dive a little deeper though with OJ Howard. So many people didn’t get to pick up guys like Waller and Andrews because they thought they were set at TE. 

 

AB was on a ton of people's DND list. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dmb3684 said:

 

AB was on a ton of people's DND list. 

As a Steelers fan I wasn’t taking him regardless of ADP lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vercrazy said:

Somewhere someone drafted the following team and thought they were going to murder their league:

 

QB - Cam Newton

WR - Antonio Brown

WR - Odell Beckham Jr

RB - David Johnson

RB - Joe Mixon

TE - OJ Howard

Flex - James Conner

 

 

 

Maybe if their draft capital was only 1st and 2nd rd picks?

Edited by ThreadKiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

The top 3 

Bell

OBJ

Mixon 

I would add AB , as I drafted in an auction in mid Aug. The Following week he skips out on OAK. Timing is everything. (In 2018 , I drafted Bell in Mid Aug draft. The rest is .....kiss my a** Bell!

Anyway, You take risks in high stakes leagues because competition is strong.  Swing and a miss on both .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eg4190 said:

 

In general, too many people are looking at the season-long totals to figure out who's a bust or not, when we play a weekly game.

Consider a player who catches 10 80-yard TDs in Week 1. Nothing close to this has ever happened in real life, but it's not physically impossible. This hypothetical player would put up a 10-800-10 line in that game, good for 150 fantasy points. Whomever owned this player would certainly win their Week 1 matchup.

Now consider that this player stays healthy and starts the next 15 games, but performs like a WR4, mixing up near-donuts with occasional 2-50-1 type games. At the end of the season they have a 70-1300-13 line, good for 278 fantasy points. That would have been good for a WR10 season-long finish last year.

Is this player really a WR1? They only gave you one good game. The owner of this player would not be guaranteed to make the playoffs. What if they benched them Week 1? They would have been chasing those points all season long while getting only WR4 production in return.

Consistency wins games week-to-week. Not occasional blowups that are impossible to predict. It's fair to label players a bust if they've been inconsistent, even if they're in the top-10 at their position in season-long points.

I don't know why you're using such extreme examples but at any rate. Evans is and always will be a boom or bust receiver who's numbers are Top 5 at year end. His bad weeks are also getting a bit exaggerated. He's only had what I'd consider two duds (Weeks 1 and 5.) Outside of that hes either won you your matchup or did his part to contribute. 50 yards isn't great, but it sure as hell beats the 0s people have been getting from Lockett or the constant disappointment OBJ has been. 

 

I can handle the couple middling yardage games inbetween his blowup games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dschddny said:

Did you avoid Bell too? :D

With my first pick yes, I really wanted him 2nd round and was upset he went a pick in front of me. 10th pick, 12 team. I like bell, he’s a stud and never did Pittsburgh wrong, just wanted a check. It’s a shame the jets are so bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

Collectively the Cleveland Browns are a bust given the hype and expected production from all of their skills players

Nick Chubb has been damn good for me all year.  He's had some lower games sure but he has had only 1 game I think where he ended the game with less than 9 points.

EDIT: I continued reading the thread and saw you admitted Chubb and Landry as well have not been busts.  Please don't hurt me lol.

Edited by fullonchubb
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fullonchubb said:

Nick Chubb has been damn good for me all year.  He's had some lower games sure but he has had only 1 game I think where he ended the game with less than 9 points.

EDIT: I continued reading the thread and saw you admitted Chubb and Landry as well have not been busts.  Please don't hurt me lol.

Chubb will be interesting - yes he has been good for teams all year but maybe tailed off somewhat since Hunt was activated, let's see how if he's a stud in the playoffs or not.  The fear was he wouldn't be with Hunt sharing the load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dschddny said:

Chubb will be interesting - yes he has been good for teams all year but maybe tailed off somewhat since Hunt was activated, let's see how if he's a stud in the playoffs or not.  The fear was he wouldn't be with Hunt sharing the load.

He had one massive game with Hunt in the offense and two serviceable games, but not great.  But those two games I watched and honestly, Hunt helps Chubb.  It will suck when he vultures the touchdown sure, but without Hunt they might not have even got there.  So Chubb gets more carries and opportunities because Hunt helps out the offense as a whole.  His attempts since Hunt has been in the offense haven't gone down at all, so while he vultures some, he also helps some.  I think it comes up to be about the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...