dashoe

RB HANDCUFFS: Did it payoff?

Everyone says to grab your rb handcuff as insurance . The cost is very high because a rb handcuff will take up valuable bench space and provide zero production to your team, Also there is the opportunity cost of missing out on hot waiver adds because you do not have the roster flexibility. 

Thus year has had numerous injuries or contract issues to starting rb's. Did any of their handcuffs payoff?

Ekler is the only one that i can think of for this season. 

Slats Murray stepped up big time in Kamara's absence - albeit brief, he hung up better #s than the starter 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I wouldn’t consider Ekeler a handcuff.

It really depends on league size, roster size, and patience. Mattison is probably the highest value handcuff. In a 14 team league, it’s conceivable that an owner drafted him and held him the entire season, so essentially playing down one bench spot. In a ten team league, somebody may have just grabbed him during yesterday’s waiver run.

Having a handcuff only works out if the starter goes down. Impossible to predict. 

• Thanks 1

Ask me in a week - I have Cook and Mattison! I just picked up Gallman too.

I think at least part of the attraction is the reduction in stress. I've been more chilled in general having Mattison backing up Cook. Having Latavius Murray helped with Kamara too, and allowed me to trade them as a pair.

There have definitely been a number of occasions where the handcuff has been unclear, or where a committee takes over. One guy in our league did really well for that one Chase Edmonds week, but not so well afterwards.

Not really. If I had an open spot I'd pick up Chase Edmonds here and there. I didn't play him on the blowup week so it didn't help. I typically don't bother handcuffing unless they have some standalone flex value, like an Ekeler, Jamaal Williams, etc. If I had Zeke or Cook, I'd have handcuffed all season without hesitation. Those are high-end cuffs in good running offenses.

Edited by FitzMagic

4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Not really. If I had an open spot I'd pick up Chase Edmonds here and there. I didn't play him on the blowup week so it didn't help. I typically don't bother handcuffing unless they have some standalone flex value, like an Ekeler, Jamaal Williams, etc. If I had Zeke or Cook, I'd have handcuffed all season without hesitation. Those are high-end cuffs in good running offenses.

Detroit and Colts handcuffs are failures in my book. 

I'm not sure how to rate AP+ Gore as successful or failed handcuffs

Too early to tell.  Cook, Zeke, Ingram, etc. go down in the playoffs and you're able to plug in the handcuff successfully, even if it's only for 1 week, I would say that investment paid off.

• Like 1

I picked up Latavius when there was word Kamara could be out and he won me two weeks.

In another league I periodically owned Penny and Mattison but dropped both because I didn’t have the bench space, too bad because I am now playing against Penny this week and am nervous about it.

I've had Mattison since week 2 (and also own Cook), so we'll see.  But yes, I've had to pass on a few players throughout the season to keep from dropping him.

I've had Mattison since draft day and Penny since week 9, but haven't been able to start them yet. However, rostering these two has paid off because now no one else can pick them up and have a potential league winner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrancoJavierM said:

I've had Mattison since draft day and Penny since week 9, but haven't been able to start them yet. However, rostering these two has paid off because now no one else can pick them up and have a potential league winner.

^

great point ... almost as, if not more, valuable than having them as plug n' play options  - KEEPAWAY is a fun game, and all is fair in lust and magick foosball 🤳

Yeah handcuffing has definitely not paid huge dividends this year. Mine sure haven't anyway. Held Pollard all year and now he's somehow the one who's hurt. Samuels for Conner and he fell flat on his face. JWill has definitely paid off but he's not a pure handcuff. Same could be said for Penny. If Cook sits out then the Mattison hold will have all been worth it.

I think the key is making sure the handcuff would take the same role as the starter. We know Penny, JWill, Latavius, Pollard, Ekeler, Edwards, Hunt, Duke, Armstead, Mattison, etc. will. Sometimes you hold a handcuff all year and another RB ends up being the guy. Like with Ware and Damien last year. 

• Haha 1

Just because you don’t have to use your insurance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have any.

I’ve held onto Tony Pollard since draft day in the league where I drafted Zeke, he’s obviously never seen my starting lineup, but I don’t feel like I’ve wasted a roster spot on him. He was simply a contingency in the event Zeke went down which I ended up not needing.

Maybe it’s a little different in shallow leagues where there’s so many startable options on the waivers, but in deeper leagues I think handcuffs are a necessary part of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Everyone says to grab your rb handcuff as insurance . 

Handcuffing is exactly like insurance. And in real life insurance is always a losing venture for people(overall). Otherwise, how would so many insurance companies continue to exist? The usefulness of insurance is protecting yourself against a loss that you can't afford. You should not buy an extended warranty plan on your tv unless the loss of your tv would be catastrophic and you couldn't afford to buy a new one. Obviously this is the reason people typically buy car insurance.

You should only handcuff if your RB depth isn't strong and the loss of your starter would be a catastrophic loss that you cannot afford.

To answer the OP question, it seems like this year all of the starters in front of the prime handcuffs have stayed relatively healthy so far, so yeah not much to be said about it's usefulness this year.

• Like 1

Murray was good for Kamara owners while he was out. Mattison and Penny could be huge down the strech

I do not usually target my RB handcuffs unless they are unusually injury-prone. I look at drafting handcuffs that are behind injury-prone players along with targeting specific backfields where a plug and play is almost assured RB1-2 value (think PIT in years past, DAL, MIN, etc.). It does not matter whether they are on my team or not TBH. I have found I usually get more value out of these picks than only specifically targeting my own handcuffs. 

The tricky thing for me is when you have 2 stud backs e.g. Saquon (I know not much of a stud this year but for example) and Fournette - it's VERY tough to hold BOTH handcuffs for the whole year, so much easier if you get a viable 3rd RB to back up both as your "just in case"

2 hours ago, FrancoJavierM said:

How deep is your bench? 5 or 6? How did you manage bye weeks, etc.? Likely missed out on some pickups this year because of lack of roster flexibility. 

10 minutes ago, dschddny said:

The tricky thing for me is when you have 2 stud backs e.g. Saquon (I know not much of a stud this year but for example) and Fournette - it's VERY tough to hold BOTH handcuffs for the whole year, so much easier if you get a viable 3rd RB to back up both as your "just in case"

Agree. It’s hard. But the guy above has had Penny (at least for 4-5 weeks) and Mattison, so it can be done if your roster construction allows you with bye weeks. But that also means your other guys have to perform, or you just cut and move on because you are down two bench spots. 

I feel like handcuffs (not necessarily of your own RBs) are usually a little easier to roster when you have more of a zero RB draft and they can certainly put your team over the top when you do hit on one.