Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Coach George's Off-Season top 50

One name I left off is Cristian Pache.  I easily could have included him.  He's definitely pretty to watch and should have probably made the list on upside alone.  I know his bat has improved, but it's still hard for me to trust him offensively. There will definitely be bumps along the way with his offensive skills.

thanks for sharing!  you value pitchers higher than I do, but it's hard to deny the value of Luzardo and Gore. They feel relatively safe (talent and skill-wise) as far as pitching specs go.

I think Bohm is overvalued here. I can see him being a fairly run-of-the-mill 3B with some pop... maybe Brian Anderson with a bit more power. a .270/.355/.495 kind of guy with 25 homers. I just don't see particularly exciting bat speed or athleticism. Whereas a guy like Kieboom - whose bat I prefer - will likely end up with MI eligibility. And I think his bat is more explosive. 

What do you like about Abrams? I have a hard time identifying his floor and ceiling. I was watching some Pache video last week and came away really impressed. He seems to be getting stronger, and the athleticism is clearly evident at the dish. An interesting prospect for sure. His future power and stolen base production have huge variations in possible outcome, so he is hard to predict. But he isn't someone I'd want to sell in dynasty, because the athleticism and coordination is there... and if even 85% of his potential "clicks" -- in addition to the stellar defense -- that's a golden dynasty piece. But maybe he'll be "poor man's Starlin Castro in the outfield" -- who knows? 

I'm embarrassed to say I am not familiar with Edward Cabrera. Somehow this player has evaded my radar. Off to the video room! 

The player I would most like your thoughts on is Nico Hoerner. I can't see him very clearly, even after a taste of big league action. What kind of player can he be? 

Thanks for the list 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

2 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

thanks for sharing!  you value pitchers higher than I do, but it's hard to deny the value of Luzardo and Gore. They feel relatively safe (talent and skill-wise) as far as pitching specs go.

I think Bohm is overvalued here. I can see him being a fairly run-of-the-mill 3B with some pop... maybe Brian Anderson with a bit more power. a .270/.355/.495 kind of guy with 25 homers. I just don't see particularly exciting bat speed or athleticism. Whereas a guy like Kieboom - whose bat I prefer - will likely end up with MI eligibility. And I think his bat is more explosive. 

Bohm was one guy that really stood out in the AFL. I don’t love his athleticism but I do think he’s got long levers and can generate power. I think his stock has been on the rise.

Abrams is someone that has seen a boost in value recently. I’ve followed the FYPD guys pretty closely and he’s someone that I’d like to draft. He has a very projectable frame and a power/speed combo that could be great in roto leagues especially.  He showed an advanced approach and looked great according to scouts after being drafted last season. He’s 4th on my first year player draft rankings. I like Abrams a whole lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edward Cabrera really emerged last year after having a tremendous season at A+ and AA. He’s tall and has a very projectable frame to carry more weight. 

His name is popping up more and more on various sites and I think his stock has risen quite a bit recently. Someone to definitely take a look at if your league hasn’t caught up to his name. I could be a little high on him but I really like his upside and potential.

I’ve always been pretty high on Hoerner. He doesn’t have any stand out tool but I think he’s a really good baseball player and has a nice hit tool. He’s just solid all the way around and I think he will prove to be a better player than his tools say he s be...if that makes sense.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Coach George said:

Abrams is someone that has seen a boost in value recently. I’ve followed the FYPD guys pretty closely and he’s someone that I’d like to draft. He has a very projectable frame and a power/speed combo that could be great in roto leagues especially.  He showed an advanced approach and looked great according to scouts after being drafted last season. He’s 4th on my first year player draft rankings. I like Abrams a whole lot.

I have a 4th pick in a FYPD points league and its between Abrams and Witt most likely, I'm leaning Witt and his upside. The power seems really debatable for Abrams. If he's a 15 homer guy, theres going to be a lot of pressure on speed and average for him to be a fantasy star. 15 home runs doesnt really cut it right now unless you're Tre Turner. Witt carries a lot of risk, but he seems like he could potentially near 30-30 if it all clicks, which is very Tatisesque. Still debating, but as of now Im going Witt over Abrams. I generally swing for the fences with prospects because higher floor guys dont do it for me unless the league is just so deep that any every day player is really big.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I have a 4th pick in a FYPD points league and its between Abrams and Witt most likely, I'm leaning Witt and his upside. The power seems really debatable for Abrams. If he's a 15 homer guy, theres going to be a lot of pressure on speed and average for him to be a fantasy star. 15 home runs doesnt really cut it right now unless you're Tre Turner. Witt carries a lot of risk, but he seems like he could potentially near 30-30 if it all clicks, which is very Tatisesque. Still debating, but as of now Im going Witt over Abrams. I generally swing for the fences with prospects because higher floor guys dont do it for me unless the league is just so deep that any every day player is really big.

It's an interesting debate - I personally think Abrams' speed is the safest tool for either player and that there's a good chance he'll compete for the SB crown annually, but if your dynasty team isn't starved for speed I can certainly see taking the prospect with the higher all around combination of tools (though I'm becoming more and more enamored with Abrams' hit tool by the day). I also like what the Padres are doing as a whole more so than the Royals in terms of their respective supporting casts. A year ago I would've taken Witt easily, and likely still would, but it's a much more difficult decision for me now than it once was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark One said:

It's an interesting debate - I personally think Abrams' speed is the safest tool for either player and that there's a good chance he'll compete for the SB crown annually, but if your dynasty team isn't starved for speed I can certainly see taking the prospect with the higher all around combination of tools (though I'm becoming more and more enamored with Abrams' hit tool by the day). I also like what the Padres are doing as a whole more so than the Royals in terms of their respective supporting casts. A year ago I would've taken Witt easily, and likely still would, but it's a much more difficult decision for me now than it once was.

In all honesty, league  I'm deciding between is a points league that promotes hitting/power over speed. Steals are so scarce that your point does make sense. I will also say that it's not like Witt won't be a base stealer either. He stole 9 in 37 games last year whole not hitting that we'll. All of Witt's tools project as above average besides the hit tool, which is the most important for fantasy. I think if you believe Witt can make improvements there, then his upside is pretty damn high.

34 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all honesty, league  I'm deciding between is a points league that promotes hitting/power over speed. Steals are so scarce that your point does make sense. I will also say that it's not like Witt won't be a base stealer either. He stole 9 in 37 games last year whole not hitting that we'll. All of Witt's tools project as above average besides the hit tool, which is the most important for fantasy. I think if you believe Witt can make improvements there, then his upside is pretty damn high.

I have the 5 pick in my league...it’s going to be a tough pick to make unless someone falls that I don’t expect.

That league is extremely pitching heavy so I’d like to take an arm, but I’m not sure there’s an arm valuable enough to warrant that high of a selection. 

3 hours ago, Coach George said:

I have the 5 pick in my league...it’s going to be a tough pick to make unless someone falls that I don’t expect.

That league is extremely pitching heavy so I’d like to take an arm, but I’m not sure there’s an arm valuable enough to warrant that high of a selection. 

Honestly seems like an easy pick for me, Abrams or Witt, whichever falls. I dont think you can take an arm there. Not sure I'd take one in the top 10 picks.

I gotta ask, what in the world makes you trust Jon India or T Trammels offense more than Pache? We know Pache is on another level defensively, and he’s performed better than both offensively, while being younger. What gives? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BAMADEUCE said:

I gotta ask, what in the world makes you trust Jon India or T Trammels offense more than Pache? We know Pache is on another level defensively, and he’s performed better than both offensively, while being younger. What gives? 

Pache looks like an athlete that is trying to learn to hit. I do think he has some upside but not enough to crack my top 50.

I think Trammell and India look much more comfortable and natural at the plate than Pache.

@Coach George

what’s you’re projection if Wander in the big leagues? He’s obviously the best MILB player, and there’s a lot of volatility in how players translate. But what kind of player comp middling case and best case do you see?

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

@Coach George

what’s you’re projection if Wander in the big leagues? He’s obviously the best MILB player, and there’s a lot of volatility in how players translate. But what kind of player comp middling case and best case do you see?

I’d have to say upside is Jose Lindor at the plate...I don’t think he has that type of glove though. That’s the shoot for the moon hopes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coach George said:

Pache looks like an athlete that is trying to learn to hit. I do think he has some upside but not enough to crack my top 50.

I think Trammell and India look much more comfortable and natural at the plate than Pache.

Well I hope you are right but I gotta say I disagree. I will agree Pache is raw, much more so than these 2, but still producing better results at the same level, while being younger and playing gold glove defense. This says to me that Pache is that much more talented, with a much higher ceiling. 
Trammel has a flawed swingpath. He is super quick but doesn’t have great timing. He’s in and out of the zone too fast and leads to weak contact. 
India is extremely polished, he just hasn’t hit. Lack of high end talent? Was his one huge year at UF a mirage? 
I think all these things put Pache much higher than the other two. Remember he’s 21 in AAA

• Like 1

I'm also low on Pache.  

Some rankings I think you nailed:

Franco (1)

Adell (8)

Carlson (16)

Jasson (20)

Abrams (21)

Kiriloff (26)

Some I disagree with:

Luzardo, Gore, Pearson, Mize, Whitley --> Should be lower

Julio Rodriguez and Marco Luciano-> Should be higher

Royce Lewis, Brendan Rodgers-> Lower

Kieboom, Brujan-> Higher

All subjective ofc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BAMADEUCE said:

What’s your high, low, and likely outcomes for Hunter Greene? 

High- good Stephen Strasburg 

Low- injured Stephen Strasburg 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Strike Three said:

Best list I’ve seen so far.  National media goofballs should hire you

Thanks for the kind words.  I always try to get something out early...anyone can just copy a list from a site. Mine should at least be original and fantasy related...even if it is a little pitcher heavy.  Scouting pitching prospects is really hard, but that is one aspect that I really enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1