Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Coach George's Off-Season top 50

25 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

Where do you have Heliot Ramos? 

I think he’s a solid prospect. I’m not overwhelmed by any of his physical tools or his body type. I think he can hit but the plate discipline isn’t great.

I’d put him in the back end of the top 100 or just outside of it. Probably more like 110 range.

What's your take on Jesus Sanchez OF MIA? Seemed like he was gonna be a solid 25-50 top prospect last spring/off-season.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:16 PM, UberRebel said:

@Coach George

what’s you’re projection if Wander in the big leagues? He’s obviously the best MILB player, and there’s a lot of volatility in how players translate. But what kind of player comp middling case and best case do you see?

I will disagree with George here, I think Wander’s offensive upside is unparalleled in recent years. As a purely offensive player, I like him significantly better than Vlad, Jr. at the same age. He is just such a freak offensive talent. He hardly ever strikes out, and when he does, they’re usually looking and never swinging. His ability to put the bat on ball and his plate discipline and eye is the best that has probably come around from a young prospect in over a decade.

Of course prospects are volatile and maybe he never gets better than he does now, but that is highly unlikely. If he isn’t one of the five best offensive players in baseball at some point in his career, I’ll be shocked.

1 hour ago, killa3312 said:

I will disagree with George here, I think Wander’s offensive upside is unparalleled in recent years. As a purely offensive player, I like him significantly better than Vlad, Jr. at the same age. He is just such a freak offensive talent. He hardly ever strikes out, and when he does, they’re usually looking and never swinging. His ability to put the bat on ball and his plate discipline and eye is the best that has probably come around from a young prospect in over a decade.

Of course prospects are volatile and maybe he never gets better than he does now, but that is highly unlikely. If he isn’t one of the five best offensive players in baseball at some point in his career, I’ll be shocked.

He's pretty great for sure, but I'd like to see him at the upper levels of the minors before I anoint him as being a top 5 fantasy player.  I do think he will be awesome and there's a chance that he becomes elite, but there are a lot of factors involved.

I appreciate anyone who takes their time to put out players lists with merit. I'm entering year 3 of my dynasty league so I'm still learning the ropes on how to remain competitive and stashing prospects.

Lists such as this gives a novice owner like myself a database of players to spend hours upon hours researching and reading articles on.

Allows me to draft a player a year early before they become a popular household name throughout the year. Thank you for doing this. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Allows me to draft a player a year early before they become a popular household name throughout the year. Thank you for doing this

I’m not trying to be rude but if you want in on guys a year early, you’re gonna need to look at lists that are a lot deeper than top 50. I love Coach George’s work but I’m not sure there were any names that wouldn’t already classify as household. Not in the leagues I’m in anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dilly3307 said:

I’m not trying to be rude but if you want in on guys a year early, you’re gonna need to look at lists that are a lot deeper than top 50. I love Coach George’s work but I’m not sure there were any names that wouldn’t already classify as household. Not in the leagues I’m in anyway.

Every league is a little different. I could certainly go deeper and I’ve put out top 100 lists in the past. Maybe I need to do a 51-100 list too. That would maybe uncover some names that people haven’t seen. I like to see some new names when I read others’ lists so I can go dig deeper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here's my shot at 51-100. Tell me what I got right and what I got wrong.

51- Brailyn Marquez

52- Riley Greene

53- JJ Bleday

54- Jazz Chisolm

55- Jordan Groshans

56- Ronny Mauricio

57- Aaron Bracho

58- Shane Baz

59- Noelvi Marte

60- Brennan Davis

61- Jordyn Adams

62- Jose Israel Garcia

63- Justin Dunn

64- Cristian Pache

65- George Kirby

66- Robert Pauson

67- Trevor Larnach

68- Keibert Ruiz

69- Jesus Sanchez

70- Oneil Cruz

71- Alek Thomas

72- Francisco Alvarez

73- Seth Beer

74- Daulton Varsho

75- Corbin Carroll

76- Josiah Gray

77- Jairo Pomeras

78- Gilberto Jimenez

79- Braxton Garrett

80- James Kaprielian

81- Heliot Ramos

82- Lewin Diaz

83- Jeter Downs

84- Luis Matos

85- Kyle Lewis

86- Greg Jones

87- Sherten Apostel

88- Erick Pena

89- Maximo Acosta

90- Elijah Tatis

91- Luisangel Acuna

92- Seth Corry

93- Logan Gilbert

94- Kris Bubic

95- Jeferson Espinal

96- Daniel Espino

97- Jake Fraley

98- Estevan Florial

99- Hunter Bishop

100- Hudson Potts

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the top 100 all together...

1- Wander Franco

2- Jesus Luzardo

3- Mackenzie Gore

4- Gavin Lux

5- Luis Robert

6- Nate Pearson

7- Casey Mize

8- Jo Adell

9- Forrest Whitley

10-Adley Rutschman

11- Julio Rodriguez

12- Andrew Vaughn

13- Matt Manning

14- Jarred Kelenic

15- Michael Kopech

16- Dylan Carlson

17- Royce Lewis

18- Brendan McKay

19- Alec Bohm

20- Jasson Dominguez

21- CJ Abrams

22- Kristian Robinson

23- Marco Luciano

24- Ian Anderson                                                              

25- Brendan Rogers

26-Alex Kiriloff

27- Luis Patino

28- Joey Bart

29- Carter Kieboom

30- Sixto Sanchez

31- Dustin May

32- Bobby Witt Jr.

33- Vidal Brujan

34- Matthew Libertore

35- Nico Hoerner

36- Hunter Greene

37-Drew Waters

38- Taylor Trammell

39- Nolan Gorman

40- AJ Puk

41- Grayson Rodriguez

42- Deivi Garcia

43- Daniel Lynch

44- Kyle Wright

45- Mitch Keller

46- Jonathan India

47- Tarik Skubal

48- Triston Casas

49- Edward Cabrera

50- Brusdar Graterol

51- Brailyn Marquez

52- Riley Greene

53- JJ Bleday

54- Jazz Chisolm

55- Jordan Groshans

56- Ronny Mauricio

57- Aaron Bracho

58- Shane Baz

59- Noelvi Marte

60- Brennan Davis

61- Jordyn Adams

62- Jose Israel Garcia

63- Justin Dunn

64- Cristian Pache

65- George Kirby

66- Robert Pauson

67- Trevor Larnach

68- Keibert Ruiz

69- Jesus Sanchez

70- Oneil Cruz

71- Alek Thomas

72- Francisco Alvarez

73- Seth Beer

74- Daulton Varsho

75- Corbin Carroll

76- Josiah Gray

77- Jairo Pomeras

78- Gilberto Jimenez

79- Braxton Garrett

80- James Kaprielian

81- Heliot Ramos

82- Lewin Diaz

83- Jeter Downs

84- Luis Matos

85- Kyle Lewis

86- Greg Jones

87- Sherten Apostel

88- Erick Pena

89- Maximo Acosta

90- Elijah Tatis

91- Luisangel Acuna

92- Seth Corry

93- Logan Gilbert

94- Kris Bubic

95- Jeferson Espinal

96- Daniel Espino

97- Jake Fraley

98- Estevan Florial

99- Hunter Bishop

100- Hudson Potts

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like how aggressive your list is.  You certainly went heavy on your J2 rankings inside the your top 100.  Wrong or right is all subjective.  It's definitely a high ceiling boom or bust type of fantasy list.

• Like 2

Well done @Coach George it is a great read.

I think being a dynasty player, it pays to be hyper-aggressive with upside when you identify it...

I have begun to push Noelvi Marte into the 30 ish range.

I also have Logan Gilbert in the area too, prob because I play points league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, I like baseball said:

I like how aggressive your list is.  You certainly went heavy on your J2 rankings inside the your top 100.  Wrong or right is all subjective.  It's definitely a high ceiling boom or bust type of fantasy list.

I think the back end of a top 100 list should throw out some high upside names that people may have never heard of. Many J2 guys tend to fall in that territory.

• Like 2

I like your list George because you’re not afraid to be aggressive in the back end! Some guys who put out lists are very conservative, and that’s fine. I find the conservative lists tend not point out the high upside guys and those are the guys I’m after.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dilly3307 said:

I like your list George because you’re not afraid to be aggressive in the back end! Some guys who put out lists are very conservative, and that’s fine. I find the conservative lists tend not point out the high upside guys and those are the guys I’m after.

I think there are multiple perspectives on the way to do the back end.  Is your number 80 guy really the 80th best player in the minors or is your number 80 guy the guy with upside that has the best shot at jumping up into the top 30 at some point.

5 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I think there are multiple perspectives on the way to do the back end.  Is your number 80 guy really the 80th best player in the minors or is your number 80 guy the guy with upside that has the best shot at jumping up into the top 30 at some point.

You’re bang on. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do the back end. Like I said, some guys are conservative and that’s fine. I’m more aggressive. My # 80 guy is an upside play that if things click he moves up along way.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Well done @Coach George it is a great read.

I think being a dynasty player, it pays to be hyper-aggressive with upside when you identify it...

I have begun to push Noelvi Marte into the 30 ish range.

I also have Logan Gilbert in the area too, prob because I play points league.

As I ranked Logan Gilbert, I was wondering if I accounted enough for the helium that seems to attached itself to him.  I can tell that a lot of knowledgeable people are really high on him.  I could definitely see that I might have ranked him too low.

Just now, Coach George said:

As I ranked Logan Gilbert, I was wondering if I accounted enough for the helium that seems to attached itself to him.  I can tell that a lot of knowledgeable people are really high on him.  I could definitely see that I might have ranked him too low.

Maybe? I was on him very early, and I just continue to see a lot about the profile that looks so nice. People seem to find more safety with him, using terms like 'solid mid roatation' and 'great floor' but the numbers and reports that surface as they let him make his way up the ladder indicate that there is much more than that imo. Now his proximity has to be taken into consideration, there are still things to work on here, but I think he no more than a year to year and a half away from MLB impact--most of that is simply a function of the needs of the SEA team.

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe? I was on him very early, and I just continue to see a lot about the profile that looks so nice. People seem to find more safety with him, using terms like 'solid mid roatation' and 'great floor' but the numbers and reports that surface as they let him make his way up the ladder indicate that there is much more than that imo. Now his proximity has to be taken into consideration, there are still things to work on here, but I think he no more than a year to year and a half away from MLB impact--most of that is simply a function of the needs of the SEA team.

I do tend to chase upside and that was the thing that kept me from being too bullish on Gilbert.  I think he absolutely has a very high ceiling, but many of the arms listed ahead of him have more upside due to a more dynamic arsenal...even if they aren't as polished as Gilbert.  With as risky as pitching prospects are, there is a lot of value in stability and low floor.

• Like 2

I have these guys much higher

Marco Luciano will be top 10 soon

Noelvi marte

Bobby witt top 10 soon

Jeter downs

Oneil Cruz 

I rank pitchers not as high

3 minutes ago, Steve gar said:

Nice work on the rankings coach, just curious were you have Spencer Howard at?

Howard is a nice arm. I think he’s fairly safe for a pitching prospect. I really love his pinpoint control. He could’ve easily been included in the top 100...maybe even as high as the 50-60 range. I like him. I’d definitely add him in the next few spots.

• Thanks 1

Where do you put Jorge Mateo? With speed being such a hard thing to find in the MLB I thought he might still hold onto a 90-100 spot.

16 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Where do you put Jorge Mateo? With speed being such a hard thing to find in the MLB I thought he might still hold onto a 90-100 spot.

I don't think that Jorge Mateo is a very good baseball player.  I do think that speed is very, very legitimate, but his lack of hit tool should only be more exposed if he does move to the major league level. He had some pop with the juiced AAA balls which does make him intriguing. He would be a guy that probably has more fantasy potential that real life potential...due to that speed.  If I were making a list specifically for roto leagues (where speed matters a lot) then I would have to include Mateo.  

I've followed him for years and I have always been enamored by what he could be. I think his potential has gotten to be less and less as time goes by.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coach George said:

I don't think that Jorge Mateo is a very good baseball player.  I do think that speed is very, very legitimate, but his lack of hit tool should only be more exposed if he does move to the major league level. He had some pop with the juiced AAA balls which does make him intriguing. He would be a guy that probably has more fantasy potential that real life potential...due to that speed.  If I were making a list specifically for roto leagues (where speed matters a lot) then I would have to include Mateo.  

I've followed him for years and I have always been enamored by what he could be. I think his potential has gotten to be less and less as time goes by.

I can't quit him either....lol

• Like 1