Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Coach George's Off-Season top 50

2 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I can't quit him either....lol

Honestly, I’ve held out hope for years. He and James Kaprielian have always had a special place in my heart. Kaprielian has a lot of talent if he can ever get over the health issues. 

I had thrown in the towel on both guys but I added Kaprielian again in my main dynasty league.

No X-man Xavier Edwards at all? Clearly you must be looking at real life baseball over fantasy purposes?

Elijah Tatis in the top 100 is incredibly aggressive! I haven't found many publications that rank him as a serious prospect, let alone at the level you've got him. What have you heard about him as a player that is motivating the rank? 

1 hour ago, lobsterback said:

Elijah Tatis in the top 100 is incredibly aggressive! I haven't found many publications that rank him as a serious prospect, let alone at the level you've got him. What have you heard about him as a player that is motivating the rank? 

I’ve read a few positive reports about Tatis. Plus, his last name is Tatis. I really think he has some upside and potential but he’s just a baby. Regardless that name will carry value in fantasy leagues and could at very least give him trade value.

@Coach George I love the list. I play in a deep dynasty league. We roster 50 players. You obviously have to roster a current MLB roster, but there is no limit to the amount of players you roster whether they have major league experience or not. For instance you can roster major league players, minor league, international, college, or high school. Every year we have a "Rookie Draft", and you can draft any player, regardless of level. Everyone is always looking for the next big thing. Several years ago there was a site that was putting out a top 100 prospect ranking that included current eligible prospects, J2 guys, college guys, and high school kids. I loved those lists, but they quit doing them. I wish someone would do them again. It would be awesome to see where guys like Emerson Hancock, Spencer Torkelson, & Kumar Rocker, etc. would stack up against the guys on your top 100 list. 

Every rookie draft these types of guys are hot commodities, but you never know where they will rank till the following year, when they're actually signed or prospect eligible. I want to know where they rank a year in advance lol. Thanks again for your list, and all of the input not only from you, but everyone else that posts on this site. Love it.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, dilly3307 said:

I’m not trying to be rude but if you want in on guys a year early, you’re gonna need to look at lists that are a lot deeper than top 50. I love Coach George’s work but I’m not sure there were any names that wouldn’t already classify as household. Not in the leagues I’m in anyway.

No offense taken. The Dynasty I'm in is 14 teams with 26 player rosters and 12 prospect slots.

We are expanding to 15 prospect slots in 2021 then discussing the idea of adding more prospect slots after the 2021 season. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, Coach George said:

Here's my shot at 51-100. Tell me what I got right and what I got wrong.

51- Brailyn Marquez

52- Riley Greene

53- JJ Bleday

54- Jazz Chisolm

55- Jordan Groshans

56- Ronny Mauricio

57- Aaron Bracho

58- Shane Baz

59- Noelvi Marte

60- Brennan Davis

61- Jordyn Adams

62- Jose Israel Garcia

63- Justin Dunn

64- Cristian Pache

65- George Kirby

66- Robert Pauson

67- Trevor Larnach

68- Keibert Ruiz

69- Jesus Sanchez

70- Oneil Cruz

71- Alek Thomas

72- Francisco Alvarez

73- Seth Beer

74- Daulton Varsho

75- Corbin Carroll

76- Josiah Gray

77- Jairo Pomeras

78- Gilberto Jimenez

79- Braxton Garrett

80- James Kaprielian

81- Heliot Ramos

82- Lewin Diaz

83- Jeter Downs

84- Luis Matos

85- Kyle Lewis

86- Greg Jones

87- Sherten Apostel

88- Erick Pena

89- Maximo Acosta

90- Elijah Tatis

91- Luisangel Acuna

92- Seth Corry

93- Logan Gilbert

94- Kris Bubic

95- Jeferson Espinal

96- Daniel Espino

97- Jake Fraley

98- Estevan Florial

99- Hunter Bishop

100- Hudson Potts

Do you see any one who could explode up your ranks by midseason? Brennan Davis?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

Would you say the same about Luisangel Acuna? 

Yes he’s all about upside and potential and his last name. Pedigree matters in this business, just look at the Blue Jays infield.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, Coach George said:

Here's my shot at 51-100. Tell me what I got right and what I got wrong.

51- Brailyn Marquez ✔️

52- Riley Greene✔️

53- JJ Bleday

54- Jazz Chisolm

55- Jordan Groshans

56- Ronny Mauricio

57- Aaron Bracho✔️

58- Shane Baz

59- Noelvi Marte✔️

60- Brennan Davis✔️

61- Jordyn Adams

62- Jose Israel Garcia✔️

63- Justin Dunn

64- Cristian Pache

65- George Kirby

66- Robert Pauson✔️

67- Trevor Larnach

68- Keibert Ruiz

69- Jesus Sanchez

70- Oneil Cruz✔️

71- Alek Thomas

72- Francisco Alvarez

73- Seth Beer

74- Daulton Varsho

75- Corbin Carroll

76- Josiah Gray

77- Jairo Pomeras✔️

78- Gilberto Jimenez✔️

79- Braxton Garrett

80- James Kaprielian✔️

81- Heliot Ramos

82- Lewin Diaz

83- Jeter Downs

84- Luis Matos✔️

85- Kyle Lewis

86- Greg Jones

87- Sherten Apostel✔️

88- Erick Pena✔️

89- Maximo Acosta✔️

90- Elijah Tatis✔️

91- Luisangel Acuna✔️

92- Seth Corry

93- Logan Gilbert

94- Kris Bubic

95- Jeferson Espinal

96- Daniel Espino

97- Jake Fraley

98- Estevan Florial

99- Hunter Bishop

100- Hudson Potts

The guys with check marks are the most boom/bust guys listed. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

@Coach George I love the list. I play in a deep dynasty league. We roster 50 players. You obviously have to roster a current MLB roster, but there is no limit to the amount of players you roster whether they have major league experience or not. For instance you can roster major league players, minor league, international, college, or high school. Every year we have a "Rookie Draft", and you can draft any player, regardless of level. Everyone is always looking for the next big thing. Several years ago there was a site that was putting out a top 100 prospect ranking that included current eligible prospects, J2 guys, college guys, and high school kids. I loved those lists, but they quit doing them. I wish someone would do them again. It would be awesome to see where guys like Emerson Hancock, Spencer Torkelson, & Kumar Rocker, etc. would stack up against the guys on your top 100 list. 

Every rookie draft these types of guys are hot commodities, but you never know where they will rank till the following year, when they're actually signed or prospect eligible. I want to know where they rank a year in advance lol. Thanks again for your list, and all of the input not only from you, but everyone else that posts on this site. Love it.

I have seen Rocker more than Hancock— but I would make Rocker a very highly ranked prospect immediately. I would say Rocker would be top 20 and Hancock top 40.

Torkelson’s bat is the real deal. I guess I’d treat him like Andrew Vaughn with a little more power. I could see him debuting inside the top 10-15.

• Like 2

Just want to say that the list and especially the feedback that @Coach George continues to give in this thread are top notch. Not many people put out a list and actually interact for months with the people who read and comment. Even in the few spots where I don't agree with the ranking, I can't fault any of the reasoning provided. Well doe sir.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Just want to say that the list and especially the feedback that @Coach George continues to give in this thread are top notch. Not many people put out a list and actually interact for months with the people who read and comment. Even in the few spots where I don't agree with the ranking, I can't fault any of the reasoning provided. Well doe sir.

Thank you, sir! I put a lot of work in all year long, researching and watching videos. I get to see a few minor league games too...I wish I had a chance to see more. 

I’ll never let my ego get in the way of the reality of these types of exercises. There is no right or wrong answer when creating a prospect list. We don’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t claim to make the best picks or all the best pickups in my leagues. I do know that I put in a lot of work and enjoy the process. That allows me to make the most educated decisions at any given moment. 

A lot of times when people say “you are too low on player A” I will agree with them or at least be able to justify why I ranked them where I did. It’s a very subjective exercise that can generate some good discussion. Hopefully we can all learn something and get better. That’s the whole point of coming to a fantasy baseball forum. 

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Coach George said:

Thank you, sir! I put a lot of work in all year long, researching and watching videos. I get to see a few minor league games too...I wish I had a chance to see more. 

I’ll never let my ego get in the way of the reality of these types of exercises. There is no right or wrong answer when creating a prospect list. We don’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t claim to make the best picks or all the best pickups in my leagues. I do know that I put in a lot of work and enjoy the process. That allows me to make the most educated decisions at any given moment. 

A lot of times when people say “you are too low on player A” I will agree with them or at least be able to justify why I ranked them where I did. It’s a very subjective exercise that can generate some good discussion. Hopefully we can all learn something and get better. That’s the whole point of coming to a fantasy baseball forum. 

I think there's really two lists in the way I think about prospects. There's one that's centered around market value and another one that centered around my own personal opinions, irrespective of the market.

Just as an example, I see Nate Pearson ranked #6 and Jo Adell ranked #8. My personal opinions aside, I think most fantasy league marketplaces will put more value to Jo Adell than Nate Pearson. But I don't think the purpose of your list is a market value barometer, right?

Prospects are like stocks, are we planning to buy and sell or ride the distance?

So I don't have any issues with your calls, thanks for the content, it's easy enough to figure out the barometer of the market, I'm more interested in seeing where people deviate and where less heralded prospects are brought to my attention. I think the biggest gains are when you're mining guys outside the t100 and then they blow up. Like getting Luis Robert on the ground floor would be like buying Tesla at $170, and it's now over $500.

Edit: I usually end up selling my high value stocks/prospects, the ones I'm currently investing in are largely unheralded. Like Coach George I've got Luisangel Acuna high on my personal list even though the market isn't there yet.

Just for kicks, my owned guys: Luisangel Acuna, Miguel Hiraldo, Gabriel Arias, Olrevis Martinez, Braden Shewmake, Brice Turang, Ryan Vilade, Mauricio Dubon, Kevin Alcantara, Gilberto Celestino, Gilberto Jimenez, Brandon Marsh, Edward Cabrera, Joe Ryan, James Karinchak.

Karinchak is MLB reliever, Dubon MLB 2B and think both could be 2020 ready. Turang, Cabrera, Marsh, Vilade, Martinez are gonna flirt with some publications' t100s, and the other guys are probably more off the radar but I like to possibly make huge gains. I don't particularly like Turang, but this is another case of where I'm treating specs like stocks, I hope to trade him.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I think there's really two lists in the way I think about prospects. There's one that's centered around market value and another one that centered around my own personal opinions, irrespective of the market.

Just as an example, I see Nate Pearson ranked #6 and Jo Adell ranked #8. My personal opinions aside, I think most fantasy league marketplaces will put more value to Jo Adell than Nate Pearson. But I don't think the purpose of your list is a market value barometer, right?

Prospects are like stocks, are we planning to buy and sell or ride the distance?

So I don't have any issues with your calls, thanks for the content, it's easy enough to figure out the barometer of the market, I'm more interested in seeing where people deviate and where less heralded prospects are brought to my attention. I think the biggest gains are when you're mining guys outside the t100 and then they blow up. Like getting Luis Robert on the ground floor would be like buying Tesla at $170, and it's now over $500.

Edit: I usually end up selling my high value stocks/prospects, the ones I'm currently investing in are largely unheralded. Like Coach George I've got Luisangel Acuna high on my personal list even though the market isn't there yet.

Just for kicks, my owned guys: Luisangel Acuna, Miguel Hiraldo, Gabriel Arias, Olrevis Martinez, Braden Shewmake, Brice Turang, Ryan Vilade, Mauricio Dubon, Kevin Alcantara, Gilberto Celestino, Gilberto Jimenez, Brandon Marsh, Edward Cabrera, Joe Ryan, James Karinchak.

Karinchak is MLB reliever, Dubon MLB 2B and think both could be 2020 ready. Turang, Cabrera, Marsh, Vilade, Martinez are gonna flirt with some publications' t100s, and the other guys are probably more off the radar but I like to possibly make huge gains. I don't particularly like Turang, but this is another case of where I'm treating specs like stocks, I hope to trade him.

Honestly, I think I mix in a little bit of the market value and my personal opinion. It’s very important to identify the “fast risers” quickly—even if you just want to use them for trade bait. 

I’ve been rebuilding a dynasty team for a few years and I ran into more trouble with pitching than I expected. I wanted to be young but that’s hard to do with arms. By nature, these young arms are so volatile and trading for pitching in that league is very, very difficult. My offense looks awesome right now, but my pitching is behind, but should be great later this year and beyond.

C- Jansen, Bart, Mejia

1B- Alonso, Bell, Beer, Lewin Diaz 

2B- Hiura, Brujan, Cano 

SS- Bregman, Corey Seager, A. Rosario, Orelvis Martinez, Jose Israel Garcia, Ronny Mauricio, Dansby Swanson

3B- Rendon

OF- Betts, Soto, Benintendi, Robles, Braun, Cutch, Kelenic, Kyle Lewis, Jordyn Adams, Jairo Pomeras, Gilberto Jimenez

SP- Buehler, Strasburg, Montas, Paddack, Cease, Manaea, Luzardo, T. Walker, Whitley, Gore, Y. Chorinos, Yarbrough, Maeda, Kopech, Deivi Garcia, Kyle Wright, Ian Anderson, Reynaldo Lopez, Matt Manning, Nate Pearson, M. Liberatore, Braxton Garrett, James Kaprielian, Matt Tabor, Luis Medina 

RP- Osuna, Carlos Martinez, Clase, Karinchak, Betances 

40 minutes ago, Coach George said:

Honestly, I think I mix in a little bit of the market value and my personal opinion. It’s very important to identify the “fast risers” quickly—even if you just want to use them for trade bait. 

I’ve been rebuilding a dynasty team for a few years and I ran into more trouble with pitching than I expected. I wanted to be young but that’s hard to do with arms. By nature, these young arms are so volatile and trading for pitching in that league is very, very difficult. My offense looks awesome right now, but my pitching is behind, but should be great later this year and beyond.

C- Jansen, Bart, Mejia

1B- Alonso, Bell, Beer, Lewin Diaz 

2B- Hiura, Brujan, Cano 

SS- Bregman, Corey Seager, A. Rosario, Orelvis Martinez, Jose Israel Garcia, Ronny Mauricio, Dansby Swanson

3B- Rendon

OF- Betts, Soto, Benintendi, Robles, Braun, Cutch, Kelenic, Kyle Lewis, Jordyn Adams, Jairo Pomeras, Gilberto Jimenez

SP- Buehler, Strasburg, Montas, Paddack, Cease, Manaea, Luzardo, T. Walker, Whitley, Gore, Y. Chorinos, Yarbrough, Maeda, Kopech, Deivi Garcia, Kyle Wright, Ian Anderson, Reynaldo Lopez, Matt Manning, Nate Pearson, M. Liberatore, Braxton Garrett, James Kaprielian, Matt Tabor, Luis Medina 

RP- Osuna, Carlos Martinez, Clase, Karinchak, Betances 

I'm treading dangerously into bench coach waters, but that team is loaded on young talent, I'd flip one or two sexyish bats for the Verlanders and Scherzers of the world and go win it all while maintaining a great dynasty position.

I think TINSTAAP is a BS acronym, but I definitely do prefer having more bats than pitchers in my minors.

That said I'm a fan of Matt Manning having that inning eater workhorse frame (+good talent I think), and earlier ITT you mentioned Edward Cabrera who I think has a real opportunity and is a pitching spec riser.

Agree on having to catch the fast risers, that's why I never really care (anymore) all that much about most publications' actual placement of the majority of the t100. I'm more interested in the t100 newcomers and guys on the outside looking in, and the quality of the blurbs of course.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you think any of these could be top 10 at some point?

Erick pena

Luis matos

Orelvis martinez

I'm thinking of getting them for long term upside

2 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Erick pena

Luis matos

Orelvis martinez

Not Coach George, but I'm targeting all 3 of those as well. I really wanted Noelvi Marte, but someone snatched him up in our Rookie Draft last year. I've researched these 3 quite a bit, and from what I've read Pena & Martinez are pretty close, and Matos is behind the other two. All 3 very high ceiling prospects that would be studs if they reach their potential. I'd love to hear @Coach George opinion, and some others on this site as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Erick pena

Luis matos

Orelvis martinez

Those guys are all super long term upside gambles. I own Orelvis Martinez and should have included him in the top 100.

Pena is a guy that I have targeted in my FYPDs. Luis Matos screams potential but all these guys are still emerging and pretty mysterious. I like what I’m hearing about them. Certainly, all 3 of them belong in the “potential fast riser” category.

• Thanks 1