Fbaseballgod

Franmil Reyes 2020 Outlook

What are people's opinions on Franmil?  Somehow feel like he went under the radar this year because of his hot and cold streaks, but ended up with a very positive resulting line:

249/310/512 with a cool 37 HR.  

He's bound to have consistent playing time in Cleveland, and can hold down the DH spot.  

Looking at his xstats, he underperformed last year as well- with an XBA of 264 compared to 249, an Xslg of 539 instead of 512, and an XWOBA of 360 compared to a WOBA of 330. 

If he gets slightly more playing time, his average normalizes to 260 (280 first year, 240 this year), and his slugging increases, are we looking at a 260 hitter with 37-45 HR?  He's only 24, (wtf! I thought he was much older), so definitely room to improve as well.

Seems to be going heavily under the radar.  I thought a nice comparison was Eloy Jimenez, another streaky player who seems to be going much, much higher in drafts than him despite similar stats (and also dominating the minors).  Eloy is 22 and Franmil is 24, but still, try to guess who is who (not hard, as I just described Franmil in the opening paragraph): 

504 PA, 267 BA, 315 OBP, 513 SLG, 6% BB, 26.6% K, 0 SB, 268 XBA, 521 XSLG, 349 XWOBA.

548 PA, 249 BA, 310 OBP, 512 SLG, 8.6% BB, 28.5% K, 0 SB, 264 XBA, 539 XSLG, 360 XWOBA.

Pretty similar for such drastically different ADP.  For example, in the rotoworld mock draft, we have Eloy at 69 and Franmil not even being taken through 141.

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 3

I was a big fan of Franmil and he didn't got a bit unlucky with average. The problem is he is a low average power hitter at a time when there's so many of those type of players. If I can get him after many of the similar type players I will give another shot but there are probably 10+ guys who can produce similar numbers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I was a big fan of Franmil and he didn't got a bit unlucky with average. The problem is he is a low average power hitter at a time when there's so many of those type of players. If I can get him after many of the similar type players I will give another shot but there are probably 10+ guys who can produce similar numbers.

I tend to agree.  Now, if he can pull that average up to .260 with 40+ hrs hitting 4-5th in that lineup (hopefully with Lindor in it) then he becomes a real bargain in the likely rounds he'll be going.

45 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

I tend to agree.  Now, if he can pull that average up to .260 with 40+ hrs hitting 4-5th in that lineup (hopefully with Lindor in it) then he becomes a real bargain in the likely rounds he'll be going.

Xstats indicate thats where he’s headed 

• Like 1

Is he a utility or a OF in yahoo leagues for 2020?

Edited by BxBOMBERs28

On 1/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Is he a utility or a OF in yahoo leagues for 2020?

He’s an OF on every platform in 2020. He played nearly 2/3 of the season in San Diego last season. 

• Like 1

I hope he gets 500+ABs this year.  IF so, I think he has a chance to lead the AL in home runs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

He’s an OF on every platform in 2020. He played nearly 2/3 of the season in San Diego last season. 

We thinking he keeps the OF eligibility for the future in Cleveland? or are we looking at him as a util guy after this year? 

I'm sure he will get at least 5 starts in the field at sometime to qualify on Yahoo for 2021.  I mean even David Ortiz qualified yearly thanks to inter-league play.  So it is almost impossible NOT to re-qualify yearly on Yahoo.

3 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

We thinking he keeps the OF eligibility for the future in Cleveland? or are we looking at him as a util guy after this year? 

I think it's a certainty in Yahoo leagues that he'll retain OF eligibility each year, and it's probable in 10-game/start leagues. But those that require 20 games to earn a position in-season or to retain it the following season are probably looking at purely a DH/UT guy at the beginning of each season. If I had to wager a guess. 

My worry with Franmil is his ghastly contact rate.  It got worse as 2019 went along.

If he can get it back closer to 2018, we are talking a .260, 40HR guy.  But I could see him becoming a .230 30HR guy if the contact% stagnates.

spacer.png

• Like 3

With power becoming easier and easier to find, bad AVG and/or zero speed guys like this have almost no appeal to me anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dislimb said:

With power becoming easier and easier to find, bad AVG and/or zero speed guys like this have almost no appeal to me anymore.

Exactly, I just don't see it in Franmil, will not be drafting 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Dislimb said:

That's not a real strong strategy, imo.  I agree, power is becoming easier, but that doesn't mean you should just ignore him.  It just means that you will need a higher average/speed in other position categories.  Point being, I understand the logic but I still think it depends on the price you are paying for same.

offseason smoke or fantasy fire?

Reyes says he dropped 18 pounds while working out at the Tribe’s Dominican academy and training facility in San Antonio de Guerra. 

Francona sounds like he’s committed to finding out whether or not Reyes is a viable option defensively.

"If he’s able to play the outfield on a fairly consistent basis, that opens us up to do some different things with our roster where you can move the DH around a little bit and keep guys off their feet but keep their bat in the lineup."

Reyes said he went on a strict diet while cutting out sweets, which he “misses a lot.”

Reyes, who clubbed 37 total home runs last year, said he was worried about losing some of his pop along with the weight, but when he returned to the cages in January, he was surprised at the way he was driving the ball.

“I never hit it like that before,” he said. “I feel really powerful right now.”

source: cleveland.com

• Thanks 2

Will cutting out sweets help him actually hit the ball?

This guy is a points league stripper. He rubs his HRs all up in your face and then you draft him and his strikeouts just empty your wallet before the Motley Crue song is over. All you're left with is some glitter and a story about the time you had your first Irish Car Bombs and fell in love with Franmil from Cleveland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

No argument to the Ks and glitter butt. 

But I have a hard time ignoring the potential in the middle of the CLE lineup. Tido has said his bat will be in the lineup, and the lost weight/non-disaster in RF this preseason has ensured he is will keep his OF eligibility. More DH starts the better, but our concerns as managers should be that he reaches the bare minimum of starts to keep the RF and I think that's guaranteed.

In this interview he mentions a specific instance of Carlos Santana pulling him aside in the locker room last year after the trade. Since that date Franmil says he made some adjustments to his approach and that he feels much more comfortable at the plate. 

Is the turning point he is talking about Aug 12th weekend at home versus the Red Sox? From that date forward:

1963886256_ScreenShot2020-03-09at10_09_55PM.thumb.png.6ee1871facf4f85ab84fb8df15757566.png

Strikeouts remain scary, but the 18 XBH really stand out. Just trying to find other stats to talk about other than his beautiful exit velocities. 

His .270 after Aug 12th is also closer to Fangraphs projected .258 for 2020, and I might be okay with the Ks if I think he can produce 40 HRs with middle of the lineup RBIs and runs. This kid is younger than Pete Alonso believe it or not. His AVG is tied to how he hits RHP, as he hit .280 with .881 OPS 11.8% BB against LHP in 2019 overall. Although his ISO was higher against RHP, I am still hoping the adjustments from Carlos stick and can add a few more hits and improve on the deadly .238.

2 more homers tonight yall know the Franmillionaire:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/25/2020 at 11:37 PM, Dislimb said:

So 40 Hrs in the rd 20-21or 22  range has no appeal to you? Its not like he will hit .155 like Chris Davis does. J Gallo .220 45 hrs  going 15 rds ahead of him  He can do that .240 with 40 hrs

Edited by Trexpenniebaker

On 3/5/2020 at 12:27 PM, GrapeJuice said:

This guy is a points league stripper. He rubs his HRs all up in your face and then you draft him and his strikeouts just empty your wallet before the Motley Crue song is over. All you're left with is some glitter and a story about the time you had your first Irish Car Bombs and fell in love with Franmil from Cleveland.

The K's is the reason he is still sitting out there in points leagues. If the HR could negate the K's is there another counting stat that would put him on the plus side of the points ledger?

1 hour ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

So 40 Hrs in the rd 20-21or 22  range has no appeal to you? Its not like he will hit .155 like Chris Davis does. J Gallo .220 45 hrs  going 15 rds ahead of him  He can do that .240 with 40 hrs

Round 20-22 range? Nah man hes going ADP of 120 in NFBC. 

Personally I'm grabbing him earlier then that in all my leagues. Guys a stud. This will be the last season you'll be able to draft him this late. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, octapuss said:

The K's is the reason he is still sitting out there in points leagues. If the HR could negate the K's is there another counting stat that would put him on the plus side of the points ledger?

Gallo bats .210 with 200 ks and 40 jacks Reyes can do that