svtballa

Anthony Rendon 2020 Outlook

On 1/13/2020 at 10:17 PM, Magoo said:

No. I get that your argument is that he's slightly overvalued relative to 2nd round.  Certainly lots of chatter right now about the power pullback.  But players tend to increase power as they age.  You could be right about him being a reach but it's splitting hairs imo. Lots of people want top 40 floor in their 2nd round pick. It's a matter of roster construction.

I disagree about "significantly worse."  The main reason he'll probably dip a little bit is that this career year was somewhat AB driven (extra 4-5 HRs). Hence the Steamer power numbers. But to project him having a worse avg than Vlad and in the .280s?  Not sure I buy that given that he's hit .300 for 3 years in a row 

For every argument about significant regression / overvaluation I can counter:

Hard contact elite. Big jump from last year.  xBA uber elite.  wRC+ elite. BB% elite. .300 BA three years in a row. Power well above average and has been steadily climbing.  Literally the best person to hit behind in Trout.  Has improved every year in his prime. Still in prime.  With a full season (not a given) 30 likely.

The four you labeled as should be going ahead of him already are (maybe Devers close). 

The four you listed as should be going after (all around pick 50) cannot touch him in average. Not even close.  That's the main reason they all go after and there's no argument.  His floor is significantly better than the four you listed.  Since he hit his prime Rendon has gotten better every year. Other four you listed have yo yo'd. Consistency, elite avg, and above average power.  That's top 30 even with a little regression.

Well I see your point but I just think that 2019 was a major outlier. His HR/FB was 15.9%, his career is 11.4%. His exit velocity actually went down from 90.6 in 2018 to 90.4 in 2019. 

I also trust Steamer when it comes to their projections which give us this list of top fantasy 3B based on their stats:

1. Nolan Arenado .296 40 HR 114 RBI 100 R 3 SB

2. Jose Ramirez .277 31 HR 101 RBI 95 R 23 SB

3. Rafael Devers .300 32 HR 103 RBI 95 R 9 SB

4. Alex Bregman .287 32 HR 103 RBI 106 R 6 SB 

5. Manny Machado .272 37 HR 102 RBI 93 R 7 SB

6. Kris Bryant .273 31 HR 91 RBI 100 R 4 SB

7. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. .295 25 HR 87 RBI 85 R 3 SB

8. Anthony Rendon .284 28 HR 99 RBI 93 R 4 SB

Wouldn’t you prefer the stat lines above Rendon’s? Vlad’ did worse but he has upside.

Edited by Thenewwildone8

I would be careful.  Not without risk.

Has an injury history.  New team with big contract can cause a player to try too hard and struggle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Well I see your point but I just think that 2019 was a major outlier. His HR/FB was 15.9%, his career is 11.4%. His exit velocity actually went down from 90.6 in 2018 to 90.4 in 2019. 

I also trust Steamer when it comes to their projections which give us this list of top fantasy 3B based on their stats:

1. Nolan Arenado .296 40 HR 114 RBI 100 R 3 SB

2. Jose Ramirez .277 31 HR 101 RBI 95 R 23 SB

3. Rafael Devers .300 32 HR 103 RBI 95 R 9 SB

4. Alex Bregman .287 32 HR 103 RBI 106 R 6 SB 

5. Manny Machado .272 37 HR 102 RBI 93 R 7 SB

6. Kris Bryant .273 31 HR 91 RBI 100 R 4 SB

7. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. .295 25 HR 87 RBI 85 R 3 SB

8. Anthony Rendon .284 28 HR 99 RBI 93 R 4 SB

Wouldn’t you prefer the stat lines above Rendon’s? Vlad’ did worse but he has upside.

No especially bc Steamer is only one system.  Not that it matters much since I'm cherry picking but lol at their Vlad numbers last year. We're still going in circles but your major outlier argument simply doesn't hold weight.  xHR/FB has now been repeated two years in a row which is logical in that he's in his prime years. Exit velocity data point is minimized by hard hit rate going the other way. The most likely reasons for regression imo are a) AB driven counting stats and extra HRs and b) New team/league.

Edited by Magoo

17 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

A couple of things. 

1) I think his hr/fb rate vs his career is largely irrelevant. How does it compare to the last idk 2 years? More guys are trying to hit the ball in the air more and put it out. I think this could be why and that it could be here to stay. 

2) no way you take most of those guys over Rendon. There's an argument to be made to be above them all except devers and joram  IMO. I buy into devers completely. We don't know how arenado does outside of coors. Was bregman benefitted by the sign stealing? No way you take machado. Vlad has upside - so does Rendon, and we've seen it. 

• Like 2

Just consider the following:

1.)Turns 30 early in the season

2.)Had BY FAR his career year in his free agent year (it's not even CLOSE)

3.)Just got a massive 7 year contract that is 100% guaranteed assuming tragedy or horrific stupidity doesn't strike

4.)Is not only switching leagues, but is switching coasts

5.)Over six full years (during his 20s when he should have been in the best shape of his life and when he was working towards a massive payday) he averaged close to 26 missed games a year.  

6.)Given his age and the performance trends in MLB in the "post-roids" era, this will likely be the last significant multi-year contract he ever signs

7.)Has already won a World Series

Seems like an absolute prime candidate for the dreaded malady of Justgotpaiditis(tm), to me.  

I mean, I live in Orange County and would love for him to dominate, but he's got an asterisk next to him on my draft list.  It's not as big of an asterisk as I'd hang over the 2017-2018 Astros and Red Sox, but it's pretty sizable.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

A couple of things. 

1) I think his hr/fb rate vs his career is largely irrelevant. How does it compare to the last idk 2 years? More guys are trying to hit the ball in the air more and put it out. I think this could be why and that it could be here to stay. 

2) no way you take most of those guys over Rendon. There's an argument to be made to be above them all except devers and joram  IMO. I buy into devers completely. We don't know how arenado does outside of coors. Was bregman benefitted by the sign stealing? No way you take machado. Vlad has upside - so does Rendon, and we've seen it. 

I’d argue Vlad’s upside is Rendon. Let’s see Vlad hit .310 plus (very possible) before we say his upside is more than current Rendon.

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

Seems like an absolute prime candidate for the dreaded malady of Justgotpaiditis(tm), to me.  

I feel like most guys who sign a huge contract are still very good, people just remember the really bad ones and forget the ones who are basically the same player. Most of the guys do earn poorly on the latter half of the contract, but almost every team is expecting that and paying more for the earlier years.  For those teams its worth to overpay for a very good player than not have a very good player.

Obviously its best to just keep cranking them out of your farm, but not every team is great at that. At some point you just have to overspend on guys in your window. When the Royals won the World Series, they had a top 10 team salary. The Royals. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Overlord said:

1.)Turns 30 early in the season - so in his prime years still

2.)Had BY FAR his career year in his free agent year (it's not even CLOSE) - By surface stats or underlying skills?

3.)Just got a massive 7 year contract that is 100% guaranteed assuming tragedy or horrific stupidity doesn't strike - High character guys are less likely to play differently once they get paid.  Plus this is a narrative so kind of nebulous.

4.)Is not only switching leagues, but is switching coasts - The former could result in a slow start; Not sure what relevance the latter has

5.)Over six full years (during his 20s when he should have been in the best shape of his life and when he was working towards a massive payday) he averaged close to 26 missed games a year.  So the fact that he's been healthier more recently in the last few years despite being older doesn't matter? Massive selection bias here

6.)Given his age and the performance trends in MLB in the "post-roids" era, this will likely be the last significant multi-year contract he ever signs? So what?

7.)Has already won a World Series. See my answer to point 6

Seems like an absolute prime candidate for the dreaded malady of Justgotpaiditis(tm), to me. Where do I find this on Pub Med?  

I mean, I live in Orange County and would love for him to dominate, but he's got an asterisk next to him on my draft list.  It's not as big of an asterisk as I'd hang over the 2017-2018 Astros and Red Sox, but it's pretty sizable.  To each their own.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2

There’s so much shade in this thread for one of the best bats in the MLB...can’t wait for the season to start already.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Overlord said:

3.)Just got a massive 7 year contract that is 100% guaranteed assuming tragedy or horrific stupidity doesn't strike

5.)Over six full years (during his 20s when he should have been in the best shape of his life and when he was working towards a massive payday) he averaged close to 26 missed games a year.  

6.)Given his age and the performance trends in MLB in the "post-roids" era, this will likely be the last significant multi-year contract he ever signs

I mean, I live in Orange County and would love for him to dominate, but he's got an asterisk next to him on my draft list.  It's not as big of an asterisk as I'd hang over the 2017-2018 Astros and Red Sox, but it's pretty sizable.

so? We're still talking about 4-5 years of production like what he's been doing. 

again, so? He's had 3 straight years of a .900+ OPS (.937, .909, 1.010) and this year a lot of offensive #'s were up. I'd say Rendon was the exact same guy this year, but also benefited from the happy happy fun ball. His #'s weren't insanely high or out of nowhere, the most gaudy #'s were his huge R and RBI #'s, which combined for 243. Can say that's probably not happening again in his career, but also two stats that are really hard to project. 

i just don't get what this has to do with Rendon and his performance this year. Arenado got paid and just had his best year.  You know money isn't the biggest driving factor with these guys? The guys who make it (IMO) are generally guys who outwork everyone else and are world class athletes and competitors. He was already rich. He's now richer, I don't see that curbing his desire to be a top competitor. 

Are you worried his bowel movements won't synchronize and he'll have to go during the games or something? I'm struggling to understand why being on the opposite coast matters. 

Really reaching back in the archives for those numbers, consider 2015 he missed half a year. Do you also care that he played 153 the year before, and 156 and 147 the years after? Or the last 3 years he's played 146, 136, 147. Yeah, he's not cranking out 162 games or anything, but we're not talking about Tulo (who topped 130 games played 3 times by the time he was 30) or Correa here. This is more of a concern in weekly leagues as opposed to roto. Even in daily leagues this isn't much of a factor as you can (generally) switch him out with a bench bat. 

What. Does. This. Have. To. Do. With. His. 2020. Outlook? 

Great, so he's a champion. 

I can't imagine passing on an elite bat because of some of these criteria. The guy has been a stud bat and should continue to be a stud bat. Many bats outside the top of the top have their warts and concerns. As far as on field the production, though, there's fewer guys I worry about less than Rendon. 

As far as why he probably had the best year of his career - guys are pursuing increasing launch angle. Rendon put up a career high at 19.5. His exit velocity was right in line with career norms. He barreled balls at a career high also. It's not like his batting profile didn't improve but his #'s did, he barreled more balls with a higher launch angle and more balls left the park. I don't see why this significantly changes or goes down. 

Since 2015

Barrel % - 4.9, 5.9, 6.5, 10.3, 12.0 

Exit Velocity - 89.8, 90.8, 89.8, 90.6, 90.4 

Launch Angle - 10.0, 16.9, 18.0, 17.7, 19.5 

Last year he was in the top 2% of XBA, XSLG, WOBA, XWOBA. The year before he was in the top 4% of all. The guy is just a stud. High floor, moderate ceiling, and in his prime years. 

Screenshot from 2020-01-16 09-07-19.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Rendon is projected to hit behind THE MIKE TROUT, an on-base machine.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 9:06 AM, Magoo said:

No especially bc Steamer is only one system.  Not that it matters much since I'm cherry picking but lol at their Vlad numbers last year. We're still going in circles but your major outlier argument simply doesn't hold weight.  xHR/FB has now been repeated two years in a row which is logical in that he's in his prime years. Exit velocity data point is minimized by hard hit rate going the other way. The most likely reasons for regression imo are a) AB driven counting stats and extra HRs and b) New team/league.

Other systems such as ATC all project roughly the same things. Not one major projection system expects Rendon to even come close to his 2019 numbers. They all project him for an average around .284 and to hit less than 30 HR and drive in less than 100 RBI. Add to that low steals and he isn’t much to write about.

I’m not sure why you think that you know better than every respected projection system, while they all agree with me.

Rendon’s exit velocity went down but he hit more home runs due to the juiced ball and his contract year. He had a career year, but he’ll never repeat it.  He’s a bust at his current price. Case closed.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Haha 3

Just now, Thenewwildone8 said:

Other systems such as ATC all project roughly the same things. Not one major projection system expects Rendon to even come close to his 2019 numbers. They all project him for an average around .284 and to hit less than 30 HR and drive in less than 100 RBI. Add to that low steals and he isn’t much to write about.

I’m not sure why you think that you know better than every respected projection system, while they all agree with me.

Rendon’s exit velocity went down but he hit more home runs due to the juiced ball and his contract year. He’s a bust at his current price. Case closed.

Case reopened lol 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:06 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

There’s so much shade in this thread for one of the best bats in the MLB...can’t wait for the season to start already.

He’s not one of the best bats. I guarantee anyone who thinks that will be disappointed with him this season. You can quote me on that in October 2020.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, sngehl01 said:

so? We're still talking about 4-5 years of production like what he's been doing. 

again, so? He's had 3 straight years of a .900+ OPS (.937, .909, 1.010) and this year a lot of offensive #'s were up. I'd say Rendon was the exact same guy this year, but also benefited from the happy happy fun ball. His #'s weren't insanely high or out of nowhere, the most gaudy #'s were his huge R and RBI #'s, which combined for 243. Can say that's probably not happening again in his career, but also two stats that are really hard to project. 

i just don't get what this has to do with Rendon and his performance this year. Arenado got paid and just had his best year.  You know money isn't the biggest driving factor with these guys? The guys who make it (IMO) are generally guys who outwork everyone else and are world class athletes and competitors. He was already rich. He's now richer, I don't see that curbing his desire to be a top competitor. 

Are you worried his bowel movements won't synchronize and he'll have to go during the games or something? I'm struggling to understand why being on the opposite coast matters. 

Really reaching back in the archives for those numbers, consider 2015 he missed half a year. Do you also care that he played 153 the year before, and 156 and 147 the years after? Or the last 3 years he's played 146, 136, 147. Yeah, he's not cranking out 162 games or anything, but we're not talking about Tulo (who topped 130 games played 3 times by the time he was 30) or Correa here. This is more of a concern in weekly leagues as opposed to roto. Even in daily leagues this isn't much of a factor as you can (generally) switch him out with a bench bat. 

What. Does. This. Have. To. Do. With. His. 2020. Outlook? 

Great, so he's a champion. 

I can't imagine passing on an elite bat because of some of these criteria. The guy has been a stud bat and should continue to be a stud bat. Many bats outside the top of the top have their warts and concerns. As far as on field the production, though, there's fewer guys I worry about less than Rendon. 

As far as why he probably had the best year of his career - guys are pursuing increasing launch angle. Rendon put up a career high at 19.5. His exit velocity was right in line with career norms. He barreled balls at a career high also. It's not like his batting profile didn't improve but his #'s did, he barreled more balls with a higher launch angle and more balls left the park. I don't see why this significantly changes or goes down. 

Since 2015

Barrel % - 4.9, 5.9, 6.5, 10.3, 12.0 

Exit Velocity - 89.8, 90.8, 89.8, 90.6, 90.4 

Launch Angle - 10.0, 16.9, 18.0, 17.7, 19.5 

Last year he was in the top 2% of XBA, XSLG, WOBA, XWOBA. The year before he was in the top 4% of all. The guy is just a stud. High floor, moderate ceiling, and in his prime years. 

Screenshot from 2020-01-16 09-07-19.png

The faster you realize you’re overrating a contract year player, the faster you get better at fantasy baseball.

8 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

The faster you realize you’re overrating a contract year player, the faster you get better at fantasy baseball.

curious, are you drafting only contract year players? and always avoid players who just got new contracts?

I’ve been playing fantasy for 15 years, and typically finish in the top 3 in 95% of my leagues every year on Yahoo and ESPN. I’ve been following baseball even longer.

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but only amateurs and Angels fans can possibly call Rendon an elite player or expect him to come close to his 2019. I mean you have every single respected projection system such as Steamer, ATC, Depth Charts... ALL predicting exactly the same results as I am: .280+ 20+ HR 80+ RBI 80+ R and 6 or less steals. That is NOT elite production or even great production. It’s good production but nothing special. 

He was the same player for a decade, then in his contract year at 30, years into his prime suddenly became elite thanks to trying extra hard in his contract year and being aided with a juiced ball. He got his money and who knows about the juiced ball. Anyone thinking otherwise is either a wishful thinking Angels fan or a bad/new fantasy player.

The fact is every single major  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I’ve been playing fantasy for 15 years, and typically finish in the top 3 in 95% of my leagues every year on Yahoo and ESPN. I’ve been following baseball even longer.

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but only amateurs and Angels fans can possibly call Rendon an elite player or expect him to come close to his 2019. I mean you have every single respected projection system such as Steamer, ATC, Depth Charts... ALL predicting exactly the same results as I am: .280+ 20+ HR 80+ RBI 80+ R and 6 or less steals. That is NOT elite production or even great production. It’s good production but nothing special. 

He was the same player for a decade, then in his contract year at 30, years into his prime suddenly became elite thanks to trying extra hard in his contract year and being aided with a juiced ball. He got his money and who knows about the juiced ball. Anyone thinking otherwise is either a wishful thinking Angels fan or a bad/new fantasy player.

The fact is every single major  

You can bump your statement up to .290+, 25 + HR, 90+ RBI, 90+ R and 5 SB because every projection I see has that....

Edited by cdd10

12 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

curious, are you drafting only contract year players? and always avoid players who just got new contracts?

For what it's worth:  Baseball HQ (which, IMO, is the creme of the crop) conducted a study a few years back concerning performance in the first year of a "large" FA signing.   Below is text from their 2020 Baseball Forecaster.   (For those unfamiliar with Baseball HQ, "BPV" is an acronym for 'base performance value', which is a formula that combines a player's raw skills for contact/K rate, power, speed, and 'batting eye'.)

Contract year performance (Tom Mullooly)
There is a contention that players step up their game when they
are playing for a contract. Research looked at contract year players
and their performance during that year as compared to career
levels. Of the batters and pitchers studied, 53% of the batters
performed as if they were on a salary drive, while only 15% of the
pitchers exhibited some level of contract year behavior.

How do players fare after signing a large contract (minimum
$4M per year)? Research from 2005-2008 revealed that only
30% of pitchers and 22% of hitters exhibited an increase of more
than 15% in BPV after signing a large deal either with their new
team, or re-signing with the previous team. But nearly half of the
pitchers (49%) and nearly half of the hitters (47%) saw a drop in
BPV of more than 15% in the year after signing.

Although the text states that the research occured between 2005-2008, Im fairly certain that their studies such as this one, are validated every few years.   Not certain about that, however.    Regardless, at least during this 05-08 period, there appeared to be a measurable difference in performance for players signing large FA deals.

28 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

No because not every player improves in their contract year or declines after. The players that decline after signing a contract are the ones who turn into a significantly better player in their contract year. They tend to go back to how they were before the following season. I do give extra consideration to contract year players.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I’ve been playing fantasy for 15 years, and typically finish in the top 3 in 95% of my leagues every year on Yahoo and ESPN. I’ve been following baseball even longer. You keep saying you are smarter than most when it comes to fantasy baseball.  I'm fairly certain most posting on a baseball message board in January think similarly. Not sure how that applies to Rendon or strengthens your previously debunked arguments or self-serving conclusions about him being overrated.

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but only amateurs and Angels fans can possibly call Rendon an elite player or expect him to come close to his 2019. You pretty much are claiming to be an expert especially based on your first statement and the qualifying statements preceding every conclusion.  Also, debating over the "elite" label in a vacuum seems pointless at this point.  Lots of things in his profile are elite as previously stated. 

I mean you have every single respected projection system such as Steamer, ATC, Depth Charts... ALL predicting exactly the same results as I am: .280+ 20+ HR 80+ RBI 80+ R and 6 or less steals. That is NOT elite production or even great production. It’s good production but nothing special. Most expert players I know actually do their own projections and use the commercial systems to spot potential mispricing in ADP or flaws in those systems or evaluate potential flaws in their own projections as opposed to relying on the them to calculate needed statistics.  I previously argued that a player who hit over .300 3 years in a row should not be projected to hit around .280 compared to others that haven't even done it once. One example. 

He was the same player for a decade, then in his contract year at 30, years into his prime suddenly became elite thanks to trying extra hard in his contract year and being aided with a juiced ball. He got his money and who knows about the juiced ball. Anyone thinking otherwise is either a wishful thinking Angels fan or a bad/new fantasy player. This is essentially a rehashing of your conclusion and completely abstracts the counters based on skills development in his prime years.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

No because not every player improves in their contract year or declines after. The players that decline after signing a contract are the ones who turn into a significantly better player in their contract year. They tend to go back to how they were before the following season. I do give extra consideration to contract year players.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

If you feel Rendon is overpriced this year and you're staying away, cool. Nothing wrong with that. But I do think you're going out of your way to hate on Rendon for some reason, and maybe discounting what he did last year a little. Maybe he finally felt 100% healthy last year, and saw a window to win the WS and stepped up, on top of the contract year. Now he's with a new team out in sunny CA, playing with Mike Trout. It's possible he has another great year.

• Like 4

Of all the threads for heated debates, I would have expected it over a guy with a .400 BABIP like Tatis or Hiura with exciting power/speed and sky high expectations, not a steady bat like Rendon.

I don’t have a magic crystal ball. Every single player in the MLB has bust potential, due to freak injury, freak aberration from the norm, playing through injury, distractions in personal life, any number of things. Players are human.

I’ll have fun revisiting this one later, but just about everything in Rendon’s profile points to an elite bat. 154, 139, 141 wrc+ last three years. .300+ last three years. OPS over .900 all three years. K% < 14% all three years. BB% close to the K%.

Of all the people to yell, scream, and pout about bust risk, Rendon is an odd pick.

Who cares about average exit velocity or average launch angle? Those numbers get skewed by ground balls, what matters are the balls that get barreled, and Rendon has been great at doing that.

I don’t care about the ball. If the ball is de juiced, it is for everyone else too, and Rendon is gonna hit regardless. Why is it that juice ball arguments are only used for some players and not others? Everyone will be using the same damn ball.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 5

The fat contract = regression is a myth too. Remember when Scherzer got paid?  $210 million at the time was insane. He’s outperformed that contract. Michael Thomas was made the richest WR and just had a record breaking year.

deGrom just got a massive extension too and got another cy young, no big deal. 

There’s dozens of other examples on either side of the spectrum, I just don’t give a f***. Superstar athletes want to do well. It’s in their DNA, the money isn’t what drives it.

We aren’t talking about someone with effort issues here. Have you ever heard anything about Rendon not hustling or not being a team player or being lazy or being selfish? He seems like Mike Trout in that he low key just wants to play baseball and isn’t focused on much else outside that and his family.

For fantasy purposes, is anyone really concerned about his R and RBI potential with Trout and Ohtani around him?

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1