svtballa

Anthony Rendon 2020 Outlook

BTW when we talk about bust, I don’t consider a player to be a bust if they finish a dozen or two spots lower than their draft spot. That would never lose you your league. As far as picks go, Rendon is a high floor guy. 

For some levity, Rotoworld never should have gotten rid of the confused emoji. I guess the 😂 one will have to do. A poo emoji would be especially great, there’s a lot of opinions in this thread worthy of it.

Tony I love you. I’m talking about Rendon, not the mod. Jk, love you too boo. Don’t delete or ban. Thx.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

BTW when we talk about bust, I don’t consider a player to be a bust if they finish a dozen or two spots lower than their draft spot. That would never lose you your league. As far as picks go, Rendon is a high floor guy. 

For some levity, Rotoworld never should have gotten rid of the confused emoji. I guess the 😂 one will have to do. A poo emoji would be especially great, there’s a lot of opinions in this thread worthy of it.

Tony I love you. I’m talking about Rendon, not the mod. Jk, love you too boo. Don’t delete or ban. Thx.

Great point. It’s important to distinguish a potential reach pick vs a bust pick. This whole debate seems to have devolved from one or two peoples point that he’s a reach in the second (maybe) into him being a likely bust (dumb).

Of all the players in FB that I think are least likely to bust Rendon night be near the top of that list lol. That’s what makes this shade so silly to me.

• Thanks 1

This is even better than the Gallen thread. I don't think Rendon will repeat last year's numbers but I do think we're still looking at a top 50 player. He hits for average, has 25-30 HR power, should be able to drive in 90-100 runs and score 85-90 himself. The top of this lineup is pretty nice looking. La Stella has averaged an OBP north of .350 over the last 4 seasons and we all know Trout will be on base roughly 40% of the time. That shift provide plenty of RBI opps for Rendon. Then he's got Ohtani and Upton hitting behind him. Ohtani is a great hitter and Upton, though being on the tail end of his career, is still capable of driving runs. 

On 1/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, Thenewwildone8 said:

I mean you have every single respected projection system such as Steamer, ATC, Depth Charts... ALL predicting exactly the same results as I am: .280+ 20+ HR 80+ RBI 80+ R and 6 or less steals. That is NOT elite production or even great production. It’s good production but nothing special. 

No they don't.

You always round down your stats to try to make a point?

Probably beating a conspicuously dead horse, but listening to Chris Towers on CBS podcast he said the following fwiw.

-Rendon best value in 3rd (implying appropriate in 2nd)

- Sees him even value wise with Bregman

- Breakout (not counting stat based naturally) was fully supported by batted ball data (as most have pointed out)

Edited by Magoo

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

No they don't.

You always round down your stats to try to make a point?

I have no idea where he got those numbers from either. To say he rounded down would be generous. All three of the sources he cited project him to hit at least 28 homeruns, score at least 93 runs, and drive-in at least 99 runs.All this with a .284 average.

3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

This is even better than the Gallen thread. I don't think Rendon will repeat last year's numbers but I do think we're still looking at a top 50 player. He hits for average, has 25-30 HR power, should be able to drive in 90-100 runs and score 85-90 himself. The top of this lineup is pretty nice looking. La Stella has averaged an OBP north of .350 over the last 4 seasons and we all know Trout will be on base roughly 40% of the time. That shift provide plenty of RBI opps for Rendon. Then he's got Ohtani and Upton hitting behind him. Ohtani is a great hitter and Upton, though being on the tail end of his career, is still capable of driving runs. 

To be fair to WildOne his premise was essentially that Rendon is most likely a top 50 player as opposed to top 30.  My counter was somewhat based on his floor being top 50 at worst.  

A difference in average between .280 and .300 probably accounts for 20 or so draft spots imo.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tm426 said:

In a points league I take him everywhere I can.

In any league I would take him everywhere I can

I'm all-in on Rendon this season. He walks, doesn't strike out, hits for power, hits for average, and will even throw in a handful of stolen bases. He's projected to hit behind Trout and in front of Ohtani and Upton, so his counting stats should be through the roof again. Nationals Park is definitely more hitter-friendly than Angel Stadium, but I don't see his numbers suffering much from the change of scenery. 

Looking at Statcast, Rendon's xBA, xSLG, wOBA, xwWOBA, hard%, and exit velocity were all excellent in 2019. As long as he can stay healthy and give us 145+ games, he's well worth the second round price tag. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, Thenewwildone8 said:

He’s not one of the best bats. I guarantee anyone who thinks that will be disappointed with him this season. You can quote me on that in October 2020.

He’s very much one of best bats in mlb. He’s a roll out of bed and hit .300 guy.  There’s not many of those type of talents in majors.  Some I’ve seen in my day, Edgar Martinez, Manny Ramirez, Chipper Jones, Lance Berkman.  Those guys could come into camp a bit hefty, run 5.5 40’s and still poke 200 hits a year to hit .300.  Rendon is that type of hitter.  Injuries are only thing that hold him back.  He’s an amazing natural hitting talent.  

• Like 3

I know I know....Pre season.... Still hes hitting .667 and just looks phenomenal, hitting behind Trout I think Rendon is in line for another monster year. 

• Like 2

hitters going to hit. im intrigued. late 2nd would be nice pairing with any of the top 3.

Posted (edited)

I agree. One of the best hitters in the game. A pure natural. Biggest pause, IMO with this guy if he gets hurt he can be a slow healer. Hitting behind Trout, probably wins the batting title this year, and Rendon and Trout go 1 & 2 in the MVP voting this season.

Edited by Z06vette

No way he lasts to late 2nd...he didn't in my ten teamer

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

No way he lasts to late 2nd...he didn't in my ten teamer

All leagues are different but he just lasted to pick 20 in the 4th forum mock we're doing. I have no issue with any of the picks that went before him either. 

Mr Rendon should be back today, likely at DH. He has been taking BP and on field grounders the past two days in Oakland. Seems like they were being very cautious with his return so I’m thinking he’s near 100%.

27 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Mr Rendon should be back today, likely at DH. He has been taking BP and on field grounders the past two days in Oakland. Seems like they were being very cautious with his return so I’m thinking he’s near 100%.

Still out.  I'm thinking Thursday at the earliest. 

I haven't actually seen any angels games.  Is he taking a bat with him when he steps up to the plate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what to do with this guy besides hope he turns it around and keep putting him out there every day. What a disappointment so far.