Sign in to follow this  
SadFaceHappy

League innovation

3 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

That's such a low point total though so why even bother? At that point all kickers are negligible and basically an afterthought so who cares?

I ran a league one year with kicker points cut in half.  I liked it.  Did make kickers pretty obsolete. 

Problem with kickers is that their output is so variable. Look at the Jets vs Dolphins game last week.  You really can't peg a guy getting 7 fgs.  I mean, I've benefited from it - got 18 out of Younghoe last week.  But it at least seems flukier than other positions.  It's almost all situation dependent rather than player.  Good offense, maybe struggles in red zone, plays in dome or Denver, then ability from distance is the only attribute you can put on the player.

I dunno, I've come to accept it - but absolutely should be fractional scoring.  All my leagues have fractional scoring at other positions, should be kicker as well.

59 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Sounds unique but what’s the point of the first 12 weeks then?

There was a really complex playoff structure that meant that there were more chances for the top two to win than the next four, and much less chance for the Battle Royale winner.. Can't remember the exact details, but there were byes and second chances. In addition, I think that every money league should allot at least some percentage of the money for performance in the regular season (say, sliding scale 1-3 with a bonus for the top scorer).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, parrothead said:

I am proposing to my league for 2020 that we turn a component of our total points payout into a Guillotine style contest.   The problem with points is that its the same good or lousy teams battling it out.  One of the things Im pretty proud of is that in the ten years we have had our league I think 6 of the 10 the Championship game winner and total points leader were one and the same.  But for those teams that kind of stink - or have that crushing injury or whatever - or didnt have great keepers, its kind of a lost season in total points and head to head. 

The Guillotine side would be 12 teams, probably start week 3 so each team gets two weeks "preseason" 

Each week, the team with the lowest total points gets eliminated until we are down to 1 - who is the winner. 

The wrinkle that I think changes the dynamic on the Guillotine side is that when a team is eliminated, their players are dropped back into the free agent pool.  

I really like this idea. It definitely adds a new element to fantasy. The only problem would be the real life bye weeks. I’m picturing a dominant fantasy team with 5-6 players on a bye all the same week. Where a single loss wouldn’t make a difference in the big picture, it would matter a lot with a guillotine-style elimination. You’d have to drop valuable assets just to survive the week. This format would only work in leagues with really deep benches.

2 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I ran a league one year with kicker points cut in half.  I liked it.  Did make kickers pretty obsolete. 

Problem with kickers is that their output is so variable. Look at the Jets vs Dolphins game last week.  You really can't peg a guy getting 7 fgs.  I mean, I've benefited from it - got 18 out of Younghoe last week.  But it at least seems flukier than other positions.  It's almost all situation dependent rather than player.  Good offense, maybe struggles in red zone, plays in dome or Denver, then ability from distance is the only attribute you can put on the player.

I dunno, I've come to accept it - but absolutely should be fractional scoring.  All my leagues have fractional scoring at other positions, should be kicker as well.

I disagree. Guys in strong offenses (Butker, Tucker, Greg, etc) are always up there. Plus we made PATs worth 2 which removes the drastic difference between FG and PAT. IMO it’s no more a roll of the dice outside the top 3-5 options than TE is these days.

Edited by ThreadKiller

2 hours ago, Hacksawjimduggan said:

What fantasy platforms allow this scoring adjustment in league settings? I know ESPN doesn't allow this.

we use Sleeper and use this format.

I wouldn't be surprised in the future if there was a way to make live substitutions during H2H matchups. If Julio goes out w a hypertension in Q1 or Mixons gamescript tanks, you sub in who you want and only get scored by active points. A lot of the luck in H2H will go down the drain. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Playing in leagues with no kickers, defenses or tes or whatever sounds incredibly retarded. This year in our league we made missed kicks minus one, i liked it 

Getting rid of TE makes no sense unless they're still allowed in the FLEX so the Kelce's of the world don't go to waste. Kicker is just an inherently dumb position. A position shouldn't be dependent on an offense not finishing a drive in the redzone. And with the current volatility of extra points it's just a shot in the dark every week unless you have the top guys.

51 minutes ago, Mr Rourke said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the future if there was a way to make live substitutions during H2H matchups. If Julio goes out w a hypertension in Q1 or Mixons gamescript tanks, you sub in who you want and only get scored by active points. A lot of the luck in H2H will go down the drain. 

I really like this one...Plus its add an extra layer of having bench depth.  I think it would be better for injury related subs more so than just subbing players in and out depending on game script changes. That would reward constant active monitoring too much and put guys at a disadvantage who actually have to get things done on the weekends.  An injury sub would be quick and cut and dry with a pop-up notification on the phone. 

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

Getting rid of TE makes no sense unless they're still allowed in the FLEX so the Kelce's of the world don't go to waste. Kicker is just an inherently dumb position. A position shouldn't be dependent on an offense not finishing a drive in the redzone. And with the current volatility of extra points it's just a shot in the dark every week unless you have the top guys.

Lets just remove kickoffs and pats while we're at it too 

12 hours ago, DaileyPrayer said:

I really like this idea. It definitely adds a new element to fantasy. The only problem would be the real life bye weeks. I’m picturing a dominant fantasy team with 5-6 players on a bye all the same week. Where a single loss wouldn’t make a difference in the big picture, it would matter a lot with a guillotine-style elimination. You’d have to drop valuable assets just to survive the week. This format would only work in leagues with really deep benches.

Well its just a side component of the pot, so if an owner is concerned with it, then dont draft 5-6 guys on the bye, however that said, we do have 16 player rosters for 8 starters with no K or DEF, so most teams have depth, but also remember that star studded team probably didnt use much FAAB to that point the Byes happen and a team will be eliminated and all their players go into the FA pool each week, so would be some decent guys 

On 12/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, ThreadKiller said:

For all you who do IDP, what are your scoring setups?

I'd like to find perfect balance to where they contribute enough to where it's a possibility to actually keep a defensive player if you do keeper. I think it's pointless to bother if DTs are useless and they are drafted in the last round with kickers. Then what's the point? I also think it's stupid in IDP leagues where you see guys like Khalil Mack as an unowned player because the IDP settings reward tackles the most.

So I ask, what settings do you guys use?

We had 3 IDP guys - DL, LB and Secondary - we were .5 tackle, 1 point tackle for loss, 2 point sack, forced fumble, pick, fumble recovery  1 point pass defensed.   My hope was that having IDP would create some different strategy with how to build a team, but in our auction other than a few guys, they were all $1-2 guys, essentially they were individual versions of team defenses.  We tried to create more "scarcity" and perhaps change value and differentiation by only doing 1 conference for defensive players, but that didnt help.  In the end we got rid of IDP and now just straight offense.  

3 minutes ago, parrothead said:

We had 3 IDP guys - DL, LB and Secondary - we were .5 tackle, 1 point tackle for loss, 2 point sack, forced fumble, pick, fumble recovery  1 point pass defensed.   My hope was that having IDP would create some different strategy with how to build a team, but in our auction other than a few guys, they were all $1-2 guys, essentially they were individual versions of team defenses.  We tried to create more "scarcity" and perhaps change value and differentiation by only doing 1 conference for defensive players, but that didnt help.  In the end we got rid of IDP and now just straight offense.  

Right. Because with that setup you just described, IDP players are negligible. Sacks, INTs, fumbles should be close to or equal to a TD for an offensive player.

With the setup you described and the most common setups, players like Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, etc are basically worthless.

I'm of the mind that if you're going to do IDP, then do it all the way and have them be an afterthought. During the draft, as en example you should debate "Do I draft Chris Godwin here or a LB." Just my $.02.

someone mentioned Battle Royale style playoffs?  I have been thinking about that as well.  So 6 teams would make the playoffs, as we normally do, but instead of seeding, the top 2 teams in week 14 would have Byes as they normally do - then of the 4 remaining, the top 2 scores advance.  Next week same thing, the two teams who advances and the two team with byes - the top 2 teams move into the Championship the next week. 

In one of my two leagues - whoever ends up losing our game tonight in the 1 vs 4 matchup will have one of the largest point totals for a loser this season, I think it will likely be second by 1 point, 168 points.   The other matchup actually ended in a tie, good luck to the new commish on that, at 122 each. 

I think the fantasy football season is just such a narrow margin that determines wins and losses - that "seeding" is somewhat of a flawed process.  

33 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Right. Because with that setup you just described, IDP players are negligible. Sacks, INTs, fumbles should be close to or equal to a TD for an offensive player.

With the setup you described and the most common setups, players like Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, etc are basically worthless.

I'm of the mind that if you're going to do IDP, then do it all the way and have them be an afterthought. During the draft, as en example you should debate "Do I draft Chris Godwin here or a LB." Just my $.02.

Absolutely right - we were not a huge fan of "tackles" because that kind of had the same issues in that a bunch of middle linebackers nobody had heard of played pivotal roles, but each team had some who had nearly similar tackle totals, so again there was not that much "value" there.  I wanted to up the tackle total point a little bit and also add a couple more IDP guys more like 6 in the lineup - I almost wanted them to be like the pitching equivalent to hitters in how one might value players in fantasy baseball.   Just couldnt get the rest of the league to expand it, so when we took vote on "what to do with IDP"  Expand, keep same or get rid of - get rid won out.  

I joined a league this year where the winner every year gets to change a league setting and the winner of the consolation bracket gets to change a scoring setting for the next year only.

12 team league set up as 2 QB / 3 WR / 2 RB / 1 TE / 1 W/R/T / 1 K / 1 DST with 1 PPR

Last year's winner changed it so you could only roster 2 qb's at any given time and the consolation winner made it so that carries are worth 0.66 points. 

It's actually been really fun and a cool change of pace. I slightly under-estimated the impact of the .66 points per carry going into the auction draft but still managed to secure some good RBs (would have fought harder for a CMC-type instead of settling for Gurley as my RB1). That said, there's been a lot of complaints as the person who made that change locked up Zeke/CMC/Cook/Conner in the draft and cruised through the regular season but all in all I like it and the others should have done more research. 

Only being able to roster 2 QB's has been interesting, too. I had playoffs locked up around week 10-12 so I was able to trade out my awful QBs (started with Jameis/Big Ben and had Stafford/Rudolph at one point) for Dak and Matt Ryan. They were dropped on their byes by teams fighting for playoff spots so I was able to get them on the cheap and hold them through their byes because I could afford to take a loss or two. Made for some interesting strategic decisions and if I win the league I might keep that rule in place, to be honest. 

Edited by Edgeraid

I've been playing in different leagues now for 20 years. By far the league that interests me the most is my IDP/Keeper/ Auction League

We get $200 to draft a 12 team, 20 player roster. You ONLY have 10 pick ups and zero drops throughout the season with a max of 30 players. ---this makes a huge difference on the WW and makes adds/trades much more strategic.

Starting roster is QB 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, K, 2 DL, 2 DB, 2 LB. 2 flexes, you can flex any player except a QB. 2 points a tackle and 4 points a sack or int. The top LB's score close to the top RB's and since usually the top 30-36 come off the board, you play more then just the top 12 each week. (1 player position IDP's water it down too much)

We can keep as many players as we like as long as they don't go over the $200 cap and you have at least $1 to fill any of the remaining roster spots.

Players kept the following year go up in cost by 30%. Except $1 goes to $3, $2 to $4 and $3 to $5. FA's are kept at the value they were picked up from a $50 FAB budget. 

Leagues with more choices for starting positions are much better IMO. Leagues that award you picking deep sleepers IMO are better. Leagues that allow the most draft strategies IMO are better. 

We are voting to remove the K from the league this year. IMO instead of kickers, It'd be more interesting and just as random to spin a numbered wheel and get from 1 - 15 pts each week.

Someone mentioned that one time substitution during the season. Like if one of your players gets declared OUT early in the game due to injury you're allowed to slot in someone from your bench one time only. Thought that was pretty interesting but not sure how feasible it would be for the commish of a league.

2 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Someone mentioned that one time substitution during the season. Like if one of your players gets declared OUT early in the game due to injury you're allowed to slot in someone from your bench one time only. Thought that was pretty interesting but not sure how feasible it would be for the commish of a league.

I think some people like the concept of lineup choices, but I also like the concept of Bestball formats - I wish there was some sort of hybrid, where like 1 or 2 lineup spots were best-ball 

Add O Lines, punters, and a party bill for whoever finishes second to last.

Last place chops his  cock off

I would love to get rid of kickers in my main league. It feels like their scoring is just so fluky. Maybe drop the kicker and add a flex position?

One I'd also like to push for is letting the number 1 seed pick their opponent in the playoffs. Assuming a 12 team league the top seed gets a bye the first week, picks their opponent the 2nd week, and then the finals, so the 1 seed basically picks their opponent for one round. On top of rewarding the 1 seed I think the inverse of that, them picking their opponent and then losing just opens up so many more possibilities for both strategy and ****-talking in a league. 

Another good one might be doing "point per 1st down" instead of "point per reception". I think I read that somewhere, not sure where and I like it. PPR gets a bit ridiculous sometimes with players getting a point for a negative yard completion or a bunch of 1 or 2 yard completions. I think rewarding guys who are good at getting a 1st down which is also really valuable in an actual game, is a positive. 

I'm also interesting in replacing DST with some sort of IDP--maybe dline, linebacker, secondary--something like that. 

I always thought it would be really cool to get a little more into the micromanaging part of FF.

I thought it'd be cool to bench a player at half time for someone else on the bench if your starter was doing terrible or got injured. 1) You could only use the new player's 2nd half points or 2) This player would replace your other player totally and you would get all of the points scored by your guy on the bench. Think I prefer #1.

You may only be able to do this once a week during your matchup. Of course it would take some dedicated owners to utilize this feature. This helps with getting screwed over by an injury, or starting someone with a Q tag that leaves the game early, or benching a player putting up a dud. The fun thing would be, you never know if a player has 2 points by halftime, you bench him, and then he goes off for 15+ in the 2nd half...bad choice to bench him. This would add some new strategy on the WW too.

best innovation, cut out fantasy football. At that point, i may watch a game in peace. Until then its all rage.

Some years I am really into FF and like to think about all the little details to tweak and make it more competitive, but there have been a couple of years that I have had too much stuff going on and wish it were simpler. In those down times I think It'd be nice to have a league where you just start Teams at each position, not just defense. Team QB, WR, RB, TE, K and D.   etc. That way you don't have to worry about injuries or holdouts tanking your season. Everyone I've mentioned this to HATES this idea, and it would drive the nerdier/more serious among us mad, but sounds like a totally fun casual way to do things.

12 hours ago, yossarian said:

I would love to get rid of kickers in my main league. It feels like their scoring is just so fluky. Maybe drop the kicker and add a flex position?

One I'd also like to push for is letting the number 1 seed pick their opponent in the playoffs. Assuming a 12 team league the top seed gets a bye the first week, picks their opponent the 2nd week, and then the finals, so the 1 seed basically picks their opponent for one round. On top of rewarding the 1 seed I think the inverse of that, them picking their opponent and then losing just opens up so many more possibilities for both strategy and ****-talking in a league. 

Another good one might be doing "point per 1st down" instead of "point per reception". I think I read that somewhere, not sure where and I like it. PPR gets a bit ridiculous sometimes with players getting a point for a negative yard completion or a bunch of 1 or 2 yard completions. I think rewarding guys who are good at getting a 1st down which is also really valuable in an actual game, is a positive. 

I'm also interesting in replacing DST with some sort of IDP--maybe dline, linebacker, secondary--something like that. 

I'm going to suggest removing kickers in my long time keeper league for a w/r/t flex. I'd rather lose to someone making the right flex call than because their kicker who averages 9 a week just happened to put up 18.

I'd like to get rid of defense too for an additional flex but that might be too much change at once for them to get behind. 

• Like 1