sngehl01

Gerrit Cole 2020 Outlook

The evil empire strikes again. 

Cole to NY - 9 years 324 mil

Don't expect anything less than pure dominance still. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

horrible deal for yanks

but yea i dont think it changes his fantasy value

Eh idk that I even believe it's a horrible deal. They may be eating caca at the end of it, but look at what guys like scherzer and Verlander are doing in their late 30's. 

It's VERY rich, but man, what an arm.

As far as luxary tax implications, those are more long term type concerns than the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

When you have all the money in the world, what's a little more? Evil Empire indeed.

4 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Eh idk that I even believe it's a horrible deal. They may be eating caca at the end of it, but look at what guys like scherzer and Verlander are doing in their late 30's. 

As far as luxary tax implications, those are more long term type concerns than the next couple of years. 

guess youre right.  only time will tell

awful deal. 

52 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

and how many countless others have broke down? understand cole is a horse but damnnnnnn

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/IP_active.shtml

• Like 1

Its a deal that needed to be done. When was the last time the Yankees had a true ace? 10 years ago with Sabathia still in his prime? They have wanted Cole since he was 18 years old and at least for the next 3 to 4 years hes going to be dominant and like stated above with people like scherzer and verlander still dominating in their mid to late 30s you never know he might keep it up. He also has an opt out deal after 5 years so he might take that if he does indeed stays Gerrit Cole. Either way who else was there? Bumgarner whose already showing regression? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Its a deal that needed to be done. When was the last time the Yankees had a true ace? 10 years ago with Sabathia still in his prime? They have wanted Cole since he was 18 years old and at least for the next 3 to 4 years hes going to be dominant and like stated above with people like scherzer and verlander still dominating in their mid to late 30s you never know he might keep it up. He also has an opt out deal after 5 years so he might take that if he does indeed stays Gerrit Cole. Either way who else was there? Bumgarner whose already showing regression? 

2017 with severino and the first half of 2018 with severino

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

2017 with severino and the first half of 2018 with severino

And 0 world series championship s with Severino. Also have you seen Severino pitch in the postseason? Not exactly a comfortable situation as a yankee fan to see.

33 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

And 0 world series championship s with Severino. Also have you seen Severino pitch in the postseason? Not exactly a comfortable situation as a yankee fan to see.

how many did cole win in houston?

small sample size for sevy.  and his start against houston sure he gave up 2 solo homers, then ended up striking out 8 or 9 in 4.2 innings and he was basically in spring training mode...

Edited by jfazz23

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I agree - great deal to fill a position of need, and perhaps the last piece lacking.  Between this move and the incoming penalties for the Cheatros, the Yanks look to be SB favorites entering 2020.

Obviously giving anyone that much money is a risk, especially an SP, but it’s not a terrible risk for the Yankees to take.

Cole has produced 13.4 WAR over the last 2 years, which at the $8M/WAR rate I’ve heard, would be $107.2M. If he maintains that level of performance for the next 6 years, he’s earned his contract with 3 seasons to spare. I doubt that happens, but there’s a lot of ways he could be worth that much.

And the math matters a lot less if he’s worth a ring or two. David Price isn’t going to produce close to $217M of WAR on his current deal, but Red Sox fans can probably live with that given what he did in the 2018 postseason.

The Yankees had everything but an ace, and now they’ve got that. Playoff baseball can be pretty random, but it’s hard to see them not being the favorite to win it all the next few years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Obviously giving anyone that much money is a risk, especially an SP, but it’s not a terrible risk for the Yankees to take.

Cole has produced 13.4 WAR over the last 2 years, which at the $8M/WAR rate I’ve heard, would be $107.2M. If he maintains that level of performance for the next 6 years, he’s earned his contract with 3 seasons to spare. I doubt that happens, but there’s a lot of ways he could be worth that much.

And the math matters a lot less if he’s worth a ring or two. David Price isn’t going to produce close to $217M of WAR on his current deal, but Red Sox fans can probably live with that given what he did in the 2018 postseason.

The Yankees had everything but an ace, and now they’ve got that. Playoff baseball can be pretty random, but it’s hard to see them not being the favorite to win it all the next few years.

his last 2 years are about as elite as they come now days in the al. expecting the same result or better is not wise imo especially moving to al east no more laa or sea or oak ballparks. you want 6 more years of that? or even close ha cmon on now.

Kershaw had 16.5 war for 2 seasons. then took him 4 more years during his late prime to get another 17.

Kershaw only 2.5 years older than cole.

Edited by colepenhagen

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

awful deal. 

and how many countless others have broke down? understand cole is a horse but damnnnnnn

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/IP_active.shtml

Neither of us are able to look into a crystal ball and knowing whether he does or doesn’t follow this trajectory. I’m only pointing out it’s not inconceivable. 

assuming he does this is a bad assumption, and I’m not, but it’s not like it’s unheard of. 

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

horrible deal for yanks

but yea i dont think it changes his fantasy value

if they win a couple championships all is good. They will need to pay judge and torres in a few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

I agree - great deal to fill a position of need, and perhaps the last piece lacking.  Between this move and the incoming penalties for the Cheatros, the Yanks look to be SB favorites entering 2020.

Hmm, while I think Cole would do better at QB than David Jones or Sam Darnold, I don't know if the Yankees have enough size to compete in the NFC East or AFC East. Yet.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrWannaBee said:

if they win a couple championships all is good. They will need to pay judge and torres in a few years.

couple?! It's been 10 years since the Yanks won a WS..let's start with going after 1 before we lock in a couple. 

As a baseball fan - I can't see how this deal doesn't hurt the Yankees in the end. Sure, he is the best pitcher in baseball right now, but it's a 9 year contract, and he is 29. Unless he is a Verlander or Scherzer and produces until he is 38, that is an expensive check to write. I think it's way to early to say if it is a smart investment or not, but I just can't see a 9 year deal being worth it unless Cole was this much of an ace at age 23-26. 

As a Red Sox fan - @#$%%&.

Yanks did what they needed to do. I'm sure I won't have Cole in any of my leagues as he'll probably get snagged in the first by the Yankee homers in my league. Thanks for the Chip last year Cole. 

4 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

couple?! It's been 10 years since the Yanks won a WS..let's start with going after 1 before we lock in a couple.

As a baseball fan - I can't see how this deal doesn't hurt the Yankees in the end. Sure, he is the best pitcher in baseball right now, but it's a 9 year contract, and he is 29. Unless he is a Verlander or Scherzer and produces until he is 38, that is an expensive check to write. I think it's way to early to say if it is a smart investment or not, but I just can't see a 9 year deal being worth it unless Cole was this much of an ace at age 23-26.

As a Red Sox fan - @#$%%&.

And as a Red Sox fan I am thrilled the Yankees just got the ultimate albatross pitching contract put around their necks.  Now the Sale re-signing and especially the Price one don't look as bad in comparison.  Time for Yankee fans to really REALLY suffer from stupid pitching contracts as well.  And will they ever.

24 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And as a Red Sox fan I am thrilled the Yankees just got the ultimate albatross pitching contract put around their necks.  Now the Sale re-signing and especially the Price one don't look as bad in comparison.  Time for Yankee fans to really REALLY suffer from stupid pitching contracts as well.  And will they ever.

I sure hope so, but Cole seems like a better investment than Price

11 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

how many did cole win in houston?

small sample size for sevy.  and his start against houston sure he gave up 2 solo homers, then ended up striking out 8 or 9 in 4.2 innings and he was basically in spring training mode...

Cole should have pitched in game 7. Not saying they would have won, but obviously the Yankees as of right now would never even consider Severino if they were in that same situation. Yes small sample size, but thats all we got so you got to work with what you got. Yeah sure the strikeouts were nice.....after like 10-15 pitches per at bat to what seemed like every hitter.

3 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I sure hope so, but Cole seems like a better investment than Price

Sure he is.  So he got a much MUCH M-U-C-H bigger contract.  That was the point I am making.  His contract is totally insane compared to Sale's let alone Price's.