4th and 9ers

Kevin Porter Jr. 2019-2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, AB2323 said:

Probable for tomorrow, 4 games this week, could he be a gook pickup?

Doubt it. 1st game back from a long layoff. Wasn't consistent even before he got hurt.

Could be worth a stash in 2 weeks though. After the deadline, the Cavs need to heavily limit TT and Love, and play all the young guys the vast majority of the minutes

36 minutes ago, Dominator83 said:

Doubt it. 1st game back from a long layoff. Wasn't consistent even before he got hurt.

Could be worth a stash in 2 weeks though. After the deadline, the Cavs need to heavily limit TT and Love, and play all the young guys the vast majority of the minutes

problem is.. apart from KPJ theres not really promising bigs they need to get mins into - just average players that have bounced around as backups like Henson, zizic.. so if love and TT do end up staying im not so sure they'll be limited that much

2 minutes ago, beejay6020 said:

problem is.. apart from KPJ theres not really promising bigs they need to get mins into - just average players that have bounced around as backups like Henson, zizic.. so if love and TT do end up staying im not so sure they'll be limited that much

You forget Nance,bruh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kane said:

You forget Nance,bruh

yeh thats a given but hes only two years younger then TT so I think those will just remain the main 3 for most of the year (TT and nance might alternate a bit more moving forward as they have recently) 

Anyone else feel like KPJ could be the sneaky upside guy for the second half on the Cavs? 

Yes, especially if his 3s continue to fall.

Surprised not many are talking about him at the moment. Good stash who is a candidate to receive significant minutes if Love and/or Thompson are traded.

• Like 1

Yeah I just made the add in a 14t dropping Miles Bridges. Getting 26 minutes in just his second game back is huge.

The way I see it, once the minutes restrictions are lifted, he should be playing at least 25 minutes a game in the foreseeable future with more minutes likely after the ASB. The Cavs are invested in playing youth now judging by Nance's recent uptick in minutes, and we should see the same for KPJ.

Edited by Espoiral

Yeah the Clarkson trade was a good sign. Remember also that when Love was out one night they shifted Cedi to the four and started KPJ at the three, so he definitely is a priority.  

What I really like though is that the guy was a projected top 5 pick before he got suspended last year. Check the mocks from last Dec/Jan. He may be too aggressive and prone to fouls/turnovers, but I'd rather have someone aggressive than not. Add in the high ceiling and the PT and maybe you strike gold. 

That all said... it's also possible he turns to dust, like many of my other waiver wire pickups.

So close to picking him up. I'm almost certain that the Cavs will trade one or both of Love/TT and would be a nice stash anyway even if they don't get traded since the Cavs aren't playing for much at this point. KPJ has post-ASB breakout written all over him.

Edited by m1dday

5 minutes ago, m1dday said:

So close to picking him up. I'm almost certain that the Cavs will trade one or both of Love/TT and would be a nice stash anyway even if they don't get traded since the Cavs aren't playing for much at this point. KPJ has post-ASB breakout written all over him.

Yeah at this point it's basically a 9 day stash. If nothing changes then you have to see what his minutes and role look like in the post deadline rotation. 

Big thanks to @AB2323 for bumping this thread, was able to grab him entirely due to your help. 

It helps that Beilein has been talking about how he's improved his defense over the season and every team needs a guy like him.

Cavs fans have clamoured for him to start over Cedi or Sexton for a while now.

If stressing over minutes or rotation concerns is what prevents you from making the add, don't. Talent always rises to the top and this rings especially true in teams that have nothing to play for. It's why I missed out on guys like Siakam last year, or Norm this year. He's outplaying Cedi, and I'm confident Cavs will find PT for him regardless if any trades are made.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Espoiral said:

It helps that Beilein has been talking about how he's improved his defense over the season and every team needs a guy like him.

Cavs fans have clamoured for him to start over Cedi or Sexton for a while now.

If stressing over minutes or rotation concerns is what prevents you from making the add, don't. Talent always rises to the top and this rings especially true in teams that have nothing to play for. It's why I missed out on guys like Siakam last year, or Norm this year. He's outplaying Cedi, and I'm confident Cavs will find PT for him regardless if any trades are made.

I was already pretty convinced to pick him up since the upside is tantalising, but since Delon dropped a dookie I decided why not. Taking that chance in case he blows up against the Raps on Thursday.

my prediction is love gets traded, they keep TT in a leadership role but will reduce his mins and increase KPJ and nance 

2 hours ago, m1dday said:

I was already pretty convinced to pick him up since the upside is tantalising, but since Delon dropped a dookie I decided why not. Taking that chance in case he blows up against the Raps on Thursday.

Raps have very good D and Garland will be back. Be patient. 

22 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Raps have very good D and Garland will be back. Be patient. 

In a keeper league so he's definitely going to be one of them. A lost week anyway for me since I have both PG and AD, so might as well take the plunge.

1 hour ago, m1dday said:

In a keeper league so he's definitely going to be one of them. A lost week anyway for me since I have both PG and AD, so might as well take the plunge.

Curious, how many teams are in your league and how many keepers can you pick for the following year?

Why would a TT or Love trade affect Porter at all? He's fighting for minutes with Sexton and Garland. All 3 do on occasion share the floor but it's not like they're going to start playing one of these 6'1" - 6'4" dudes at PF or C

40 minutes ago, markdash said:

Why would a TT or Love trade affect Porter at all? He's fighting for minutes with Sexton and Garland. All 3 do on occasion share the floor but it's not like they're going to start playing one of these 6'1" - 6'4" dudes at PF or C

When Love sat out they moved Cedi to the four and started Porter at the three. Also a Love trade opens up a lot of usage. Sexton can only chuck so much in any single game. 

Agree that a TT trade doesn't move the needle. 

• Like 1

This dude makes a lot of bad decisions. Not sure if rookie mistakes or low bbiq. 

Those TOs hurt. but then again that was the Raps plus his decision making. Think I'll hold for the next week.

Edited by m1dday

38 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

This dude makes a lot of bad decisions. Not sure if rookie mistakes or low bbiq. 

He'll figure things out. He's improved a ton over the year.

Encouraging that he's allowed to play through his mistakes and play down the stretch.

The blowup potential is still real post trade-deadline.

42 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

He'll figure things out. He's improved a ton over the year.

Encouraging that he's allowed to play through his mistakes and play down the stretch.

The blowup potential is still real post trade-deadline.

Yeah closing the game over Cedi was eye opening. Next couple matchups are easier so will wait to see if he improves in those. 

What do you guys think about his fantasy-friendliness? The 3s and steals should be nice but even in college he seemed to have poor assists relative to his turnovers. 

1 minute ago, Eltoro said:

Yeah closing the game over Cedi was eye opening. Next couple matchups are easier so will wait to see if he improves in those. 

What do you guys think about his fantasy-friendliness? The 3s and steals should be nice but even in college he seemed to have poor assists relative to his turnovers. 

I think he can get it in control eventually. TOs are usually a rookie problem but nothing to worry about with some more coaching and development. This is a guy who was projected as high as top 5 for the draft so I'd think he can only get better with growing opportunity.