Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Emmanuel Clase 2020 Outlook

Maybe Clase is better than most realize...myself included. I researched him recently and added him in a dynasty league, but I think he might have more upside and potential than I thought.

Sounds like he could have a fast track to the Indians’ closer job. Interesting guy now.

He’s got great stuff and impressive command for a 21 year-old that throws that hard (average FB velo of 99.4mph). It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s pitching high leverage situations for Cleveland before May.

Everybody throws hard.  I can't believe this deal right now

13 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Everybody throws hard.  I can't believe this deal right now

Not this hard, with this command.

That being said, I don’t like the deal. 

The stuff looks great but he hasn't had the elite strikeout rates you'd expect in the minors with that. With that being said he was a fast riser who finished 2018 in Low A and finished 2019 in the MLB. Definitely some potential but Brad Hand hast the closer job held pretty strongly I would think and maybe Wittgren is next in line.

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

The stuff looks great but he hasn't had the elite strikeout rates you'd expect in the minors with that. With that being said he was a fast riser who finished 2018 in Low A and finished 2019 in the MLB. Definitely some potential but Brad Hand hast the closer job held pretty strongly I would think and maybe Wittgren is next in line.

Karinchak is probably next in line, or at least the biggest long-term obstacle to Clase becoming the Indians closer.

Bullpen pictures can change rapidly but I don’t see Clase as very likely to get saves in 2020.

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Has he even made an appearance in the majors yet or if he still a prospect?

There's a video of him pitching in the majors 8 posts above

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

There's a video of him pitching in the majors 8 posts above

Here’s another:

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Has he even made an appearance in the majors yet or if he still a prospect?

Even in my 12 team Dynasty League (my shallowest one) he got picked up after he was garnering hype in the majors last year. 

Easy velo - that strikeout pitch to Fraley was absolutely lethal. I believe the Tribe could have gotten more enticing prospect(s) for Kluber, but I like Clase. I think DeShields has untapped offensive potential too (he is 27), but after dancing the Add-Drop-Shuffle with him for seemingly five straight seasons I'm feeling a bit scornful. But let's check back on this deal in two years and see where the dominos fell. 🤓  It's not inconceivable that Kluber fades away quickly and Clase becomes an elite closer. 

I am confused by what Cleveland is doing. I disliked the return for Bauer (they need prospects! not freaking Puig and Franmil). I was okay with dealing the long-overrated Francisco Mejia. But what are their core pieces now?  Lindor, Ramirez, Clevinger, Bieber, Carrasco, Mercado, Santana, Hand, Nolan Jones?, Clase, Franmil?, Karinchak, McKenzie...  It's an odd mishmash and if I had this roster in fantasy I'd probably tear it all down. Can someone more enlightened explain what is happening?  Am I being too cynical? Are they about to claim the AL Central and make me look like a moron?     Ya know, after listing some of their pieces... Lindor/Ramirez + Bieber/Clevinger is a pretty sweet foursome of offense and pitching. Maybe it's not so bad. Corey Kluber sure would be a nice addition! 

5 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Easy velo - that strikeout pitch to Fraley was absolutely lethal. I believe the Tribe could have gotten more enticing prospect(s) for Kluber, but I like Clase. I think DeShields has untapped offensive potential too (he is 27), but after dancing the Add-Drop-Shuffle with him for seemingly five straight seasons I'm feeling a bit scornful. But let's check back on this deal in two years and see where the dominos fell. 🤓  It's not inconceivable that Kluber fades away quickly and Clase becomes an elite closer. 

I am confused by what Cleveland is doing. I disliked the return for Bauer (they need prospects! not freaking Puig and Franmil). I was okay with dealing the long-overrated Francisco Mejia. But what are their core pieces now?  Lindor, Ramirez, Clevinger, Bieber, Carrasco, Mercado, Santana, Hand, Nolan Jones?, Clase, Franmil?, Karinchak, McKenzie...  It's an odd mishmash and if I had this roster in fantasy I'd probably tear it all down. Can someone more enlightened explain what is happening?  Am I being too cynical? Are they about to claim the AL Central and make me look like a moron?     Ya know, after listing some of their pieces... Lindor/Ramirez + Bieber/Clevinger is a pretty sweet foursome of offense and pitching. Maybe it's not so bad. Corey Kluber sure would be a nice addition! 

I don't claim to be more enlightened but I believe ownership has given the front office the directive of lowering payroll but not approving a full rebuild. I think they're just trying to trade an expensive piece (Kulber at $17.5 million) from an area of surplus (Bieber, Clev, Carrasco, Civale, Plesac, and Putko is still a top 5 rotation) for 2 cheap assets that can contribute in 2020 and will be cheap for several more years beyond. I'm in the boat that Clase can develop into an elite closer while Kluber is declining, but it's mid-December and they should've been more patient holding out for a better deal - Clase and Solak would've made a lot more sense.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

. But what are their core pieces now?  Lindor, Ramirez, Clevinger, Bieber, Carrasco, Mercado, Santana, Hand, Nolan Jones?, Clase, Franmil?, Karinchak, McKenzie...  It's an odd mishmash and if I had this roster in fantasy I'd probably tear it all down.

Seems like a pretty good core for a 30 team league honestly . Their lower minors is pretty stacked too.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Seems like a pretty good core for a 30 team league honestly . Their lower minors is pretty stacked too.

to be honest, once I listed the assets I realized it's not too shabby. But at that point I had already gone too far.
Farewell - I'm off to BetOnline to throw down $100 on the Tribe winning the pennant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, Sidearmer said:

Definitely some potential but Brad Hand hast the closer job held pretty strongly I would think and maybe Wittgren is next in line.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Indians move Hand. He's due 7 mil this year, which is not much on the surface, but is a shitton of money for a team that just dumped Kluber to shed salary. (Also has a club option for 10mil next year, which a big market team might like?)

Clase hitting the IL:

(10 mins ago) The Indians announced Thursday that Clase's MRI revealed a moderate strain of the teres major muscle in his upper back, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports. The reliever is expected to miss 8-to-12 weeks of activity.

Cleveland intends to evaluate Clase weekly before pinpointing a more precise timetable for his return, but the 21-year-old won't be ready to even start a throwing program until May at the earliest while he remains shut down from activity. It's a disappointing development for Clase, the main prize Cleveland took back in the offseason trade that sent Corey Kluber to the Rangers. The hard-throwing righty was expected to vie for a key setup role for the Tribe in 2020, but the injury now makes it tough to justify drafting him even in AL-only leagues that count holds as a category. With Clase on the shelf, James Karinchak seemingly profiles as the clear top handcuff to closer Brad Hand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

Clase hitting the IL:

(10 mins ago) The Indians announced Thursday that Clase's MRI revealed a moderate strain of the teres major muscle in his upper back, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports. The reliever is expected to miss 8-to-12 weeks of activity.

Cleveland intends to evaluate Clase weekly before pinpointing a more precise timetable for his return, but the 21-year-old won't be ready to even start a throwing program until May at the earliest while he remains shut down from activity. It's a disappointing development for Clase, the main prize Cleveland took back in the offseason trade that sent Corey Kluber to the Rangers. The hard-throwing righty was expected to vie for a key setup role for the Tribe in 2020, but the injury now makes it tough to justify drafting him even in AL-only leagues that count holds as a category. With Clase on the shelf, James Karinchak seemingly profiles as the clear top handcuff to closer Brad Hand.

Still going to put him on my IL in my league that uses holds(we have 5 IL slots)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Clase the door.  It’s over.

This isn’t the Mariners, they will be fine.

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, charger_ss24 said:

This isn’t the Mariners, they will be fine.

Their bullpen has sucked for years. Losing a key reliever who could have been their 2nd best one is a big deal for them.

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Their bullpen has sucked for years. Losing a key reliever who could have been their 2nd best one is a big deal for them.

I was making a joke directed @Cmilne23.

• Like 1

An 80 game suspension this season pretty much kills him in any redraft league. Actually he is pretty shaky in any league as a hold. Maybe him and his owners get lucky and The Indians bullpen is awful. They may actually need him back after his 80 game vacation after his Covid quarantine vacation and after his injury vacation, he should be rested anyway