Motown_Magic

Mike Boone 2019 Outlook

I can agree on some level with the narrative that the guy may just be bad to mediocre, hence 3rd string but...you gotta think that had he gotten any where near Dalvin's typical touches, he wouldve produced decent flex numbers yesterday.  8-10 points is well within reach for any back with a pulse getting that kind of workload.

Edited by CletisVanDamme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

I can agree on some level with the narrative that the guy may just be bad to mediocre, hence 3rd string but...you gotta think that had he gotten any where near Dalvin's typical touches, he wouldve produced decent flex numbers yesterday.  8-10 points is well within reach for any back with a pulse getting that kind of workload.

This is exactly the point. Not the guy getting absolutely benched for no reason. Offense was looking for some kind of spark and the real problem was cousins not pushing the ball at all

• Like 1

I read on twitter (cant remember the analysts name) the Vikes oline was absolutely horrendous all night and it wasn’t really Boone’s fault. Regardless it sucks that he bombed so badly but I think there was an important lesson to be learned here. Start your studs and don’t get cute if you made it to championship week. I get starting Boone if you were ravaged by injuries but benching someone who’s been a reliable rb2 all year and hoping Boone was Cook 2.0 was a terrible decision.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Im going to try to do a better job of tuning out the noise next season and listen to my own gut. 

This is the best advice anyone of us should follow. I try my best to stick with this even though it's hard to remember to do so consistently. Especially if it fails you a couple times

• Like 1

Kids are asleep, so now I'm just waiting to hear Santa and the reindeer land on my roof.

Thinking more about the bust known as Mike Boone and how we all got it wrong.

He took over after Dalvin went down and got most of the rushes and 2 TDs.  So I watch the TDs...ok, nothing really special, scored from 8 yards and 2 yards out.  But the takeaway was that he was the red zone and goal line back, so that was a positive.

So then as it seems like he's going to get the start as the week progresses, and all the fantasy experts are talking about him, it's time to do a little research.  Googling Mike Boone, we see many references to how he was a "preseason superstar".  So I pull out some highlight reels of him.  He looks electric.  He looks fast.  He looks powerful.  He looks - almost - as good as Dalvin Cook.  So I get pumped about this guy and convince myself that everybody is right and this guy is going to win ships.

So where did it go wrong?  He looked great in those preseason highlights.  But that's the thing - they were PRESEASON highlights.  Some of the guys he was running through, around, and away from maybe even aren't on an NFL roster now.  Not to mention, these were the HIGHLIGHT videos.  Anybody can look like a HOFer if you're able to pick and choose only the best plays.

He will go down as one of the biggest busts in championship week.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

This is the best advice anyone of us should follow. I try my best to stick with this even though it's hard to remember to do so consistently. Especially if it fails you a couple times

Exactly...I would almost always go down with my best(better players) because you did what you should have done...Hype is great but a sample size is much better IMO

11 hours ago, CooL said:

On this show, the expert said Jones very time. Yet people kept calling and asking. But you have to remember that Jones season, although remarkable, wasn’t consistent. We aren’t the ones who owned him and had to sit through his disastrous weeks. So it’s the actual Jones owners that are calling in for advice, not us sitting from the outside. Easy for us to laugh at even raising the question but again we are not walking in those guys’ shoes.

Was it Evan Silva that tweeted something like “this is why we watch preseason tape...it’s to win yiu championships”. If it wasn’t Silva, it was some well know fantasy expert. 

Im going to try to do a better job of tuning out the noise next season and listen to my own gut. 

Silva is a pro at going back and deleting any tweets where he hyped up a player who busted. He REALLY wants the world to believe he is infallible.  (Yes, he of course did hype up Boone on Twitter.)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CooL said:

On this show, the expert said Jones very time. Yet people kept calling and asking. But you have to remember that Jones season, although remarkable, wasn’t consistent. We aren’t the ones who owned him and had to sit through his disastrous weeks. So it’s the actual Jones owners that are calling in for advice, not us sitting from the outside. Easy for us to laugh at even raising the question but again we are not walking in those guys’ shoes.

Was it Evan Silva that tweeted something like “this is why we watch preseason tape...it’s to win yiu championships”. If it wasn’t Silva, it was some well know fantasy expert. 

I know Bobby Sylvester of Fantasy Pros was touting Mike Boone since the preseason.

You are spot on about being a Jones owner. I walked in those shoes and it was hard not to get wrapped up into the hype machine.  With all the marbles at stake for one start and Booneamania going wild you can't help but second guess a little bit. 

18 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

He put up 17.60 fantasy points the week prior on 13 carries and 0 targets.

Week 16 he puts up 3.3 fantasy points on 11 carries and 1 target.

The difference was a lack of touchdown opportunities in week 16. 

11 carries should be enough to do more than 3.3 fantasy points. Their blocking/his running was just trash. And also yes, Cousins sucks. 

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

Silva is a pro at going back and deleting any tweets where he hyped up a player who busted. He REALLY wants the world to believe he is infallible.  (Yes, he of course did hype up Boone on Twitter.)

Silva is a hack.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

This is exactly the point. Not the guy getting absolutely benched for no reason. Offense was looking for some kind of spark and the real problem was cousins not pushing the ball at all

If you watched the game you can’t blame Kirk Cousins ... blame the o line. 

Mike Boone gave out many gifts this season to opposing fantasy managers. And coal to all those that started him.

I don't doubt that this week Ameer Abdullah will probably see the majority of the workload, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Mike Boone ironically fall into the end zone.

[...] I knew all of us that started him was in trouble on the Vikings second play down near the goal line after the turnover.  Vikes were on the 10, Boone got the rock and took it to the 5.  And then on 2nd and 5, stupid Kirk Cousins tried to throw the ball.  If that were Dalvin Cook at the 5, you know they would have handed it off to him to let him punch it in.  When Boone didn't get it, I knew there was trouble ahead.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 12/22/2019 at 9:36 AM, devaster said:

My main concern is Ameer. Ameer was clearly the least impressive RB during their preseason, but they kept him around instead of cutting him. I'm wondering if Boone won't have the entire backfield to himself.

28 minutes ago, CooL said:

I don't doubt that this week Ameer Abdullah will probably see the majority of the workload, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Mike Boone ironically fall into the end zone.

[...] I knew all of us that started him was in trouble on the Vikings second play down near the goal line after the turnover.  Vikes were on the 10, Boone got the rock and took it to the 5.  And then on 2nd and 5, stupid Kirk Cousins tried to throw the ball.  If that were Dalvin Cook at the 5, you know they would have handed it off to him to let him punch it in.  When Boone didn't get it, I knew there was trouble ahead.

I wasn't really surprised to see Ameer involved. They kept him around instead of cutting him. Which meant they weren't fully convinced of Boone as the 3rd RB. And they kept Ameer the entire season.

I considered starting Boone. But it would have been an absolute desperation play if the early games didn't pan out for me. I'm just surprised how many started Boone over reliable options.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, BMcP said:

See, thats wack. At least own up to it and vent like everyone else. People will respect him for it.

Just now, Gryfter said:

See, thats wack. At least own up to it and vent like everyone else. People will respect him for it.

Particularly if you style yourself an “analyst.”  At least make some effort to not lionize certain teams and hate others - and also make an effort to admit when you’re wrong.  People will appreciate you more for it, and trust you more when it comes to your said analysis.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, CooL said:

Today Boone fell into his own endzone (ironically).  But he's having a heck of a game outside of that.