Sidearmer

Yoenis Cespedes 2020 Outlook

So...he spent the last couple years trying to get healthy enough to play baseball, then finally came back but realized he still has to play for the Mets and lolnoped out of there?

Not really the end of the world for the mets they should just slot dom smith as their everyday DH now 

Just so weird.  Bad enough he opts out, but why not just tell the team and leave?  Something is going on that we do not know about imo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Just so weird.  Bad enough he opts out, but why not just tell the team and leave?  Something is going on that we do not know about imo.

I mean we are talking about a grown a$$ man who broke both ankles riding a horse and who insists on wearing day-glo protective sleeves. 

17 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

He does not get along with the Mets GM, who is his former agent. 

There was a Post article about how they weren't playing him everyday (and he was disappointed with this) even though they restructured his contract to be incentive laden. I sense some bad blood between the mets FO and ces after they cut his pay. 

Sad how things ended with this guy. Single handedly got the Mets into the playoffs in 2015. Once Mets gave him his contract it was downhill from there. What he pulled today was totally unprofessional but no one from the Mets org should be surprised. 

• Like 2

As a Mets fan - I remember that 2015 run and how Ces was a noteworthy part of it. There's debate among fans that had he been healthy during the playoffs, the Mets would've been more competitive vs. the Royals. Just need new ownership and a shakeup. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

There was a Post article about how they weren't playing him everyday (and he was disappointed with this) even though they restructured his contract to be incentive laden. I sense some bad blood between the mets FO and ces after they cut his pay. 

I don't care what issues he had with the FO (not coming at you, fredo).  Play the part of an adult, and inform management, you're opting out.  This childish nonsense, of disappearing without a word, is so low grade.  I hope no organization, pays this piece of garbage, another nickel.  

• Like 2

He only sat out one game he showed up to, so the playing time argument seems bogus.

• Like 1

We won't see him back in the MLB. Probably in prison pinstripes in 20 years after he blew his fortune.

20 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

He only sat out one game he showed up to, so the playing time argument seems bogus.

Yeah what is the whiner's problem?

According to Mike Puma and Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Yoenis Cespedes twice "confronted Mets officials" over playing time before opting out of the 2020 season.

Cespedes apparently felt like Mets management was trying to prevent him from triggering certain contract bonuses and became increasingly disgruntled when he was not written into the lineup for Sunday afternoon's series finale in Atlanta. He didn't board any of the team buses to Truist Park and instead packed his bags and had his agent contact the Mets to inform them of his decision to opt out over concerns related to COVID-19. That notice from the agent didn't reach Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen until Sunday's game was well underway, which led to hours of concern and speculation around the baseball industry. Never a boring day in Mets land.

Source: New York Post           Aug 2, 2020, 7:43 PM ET

The very definition of prima dona.  If you got what it takes you seize your opportunity and either force the Mets to play you due to how great you are doing or you put up good stats and collect with a nice signing in the off season with some other team.  But no.  He takes his ball and bat and quits.

32 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

I don't care what issues he had with the FO (not coming at you, fredo).  Play the part of an adult, and inform management, you're opting out.  This childish nonsense, of disappearing without a word, is so low grade.  I hope no organization, pays this piece of garbage, another nickel.  

Couldn't agree with you more. For someone who got paid tens of millions just to sit out for the majority of his contract (which of course is not 100% his fault), this sure was an immature and entitled move. I think this will backfire if he tries to sign with another team this offseason. 

• Like 2

More Cespedes drama - even in a deformed season. Some things can be counted on.

• Haha 1

Dude struck out in like half his ABs. Has two homers and that's the extent of his 2020 offense. Cannot run either. Not exactly a must-start everyday.

he had a weird contract.  lowered to $6m but i think $11m if he came back.  

I'm not sure if there was a bonus or he just gets $11m prorated for 9 games.  

well, good riddance. 

9 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Dude struck out in like half his ABs. Has two homers and that's the extent of his 2020 offense. Cannot run either. Not exactly a must-start everyday.

In fairness, he has missed the better part of 2 years and we are only a week and a half into 2020.  If teams gave up on every player that gets off to a slow start in the first couple of weeks, there would be a lot of major leaguers unemployed lol.  That said, obviously this guy has some major attitude issues and they are probably better off with him not around at this point.

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

In fairness, he has missed the better part of 2 years and we are only a week and a half into 2020.  If teams gave up on every player that gets off to a slow start in the first couple of weeks, there would be a lot of major leaguers unemployed lol.  That said, obviously this guy has some major attitude issues and they are probably better off with him not around at this point.

...but it's the team/manager's call right? And it's not like he's a young rookie who's still learning the ropes. He's a 34 year old man who acted like a petulant child. And I doubt we see him on a MLB team again anytime soon. He's past the point of his talent outweighing all the negativity that comes along with him.   

54 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Drop city? 

You think? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1