murraygd13

2020 Offseason Closer Thread

17 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Would have to think he's the favorite. Not much upside with strikeouts and probably a trade candidate if he does well, but if he does win the job he should have a pretty long leash with no one else really being a significant threat. This is speculation, but have to wonder if the Marlins promised him anything to get him to sign with them.

Yeah, they promised him $3.25 million

• Like 1

Jeremy Jeffress signs with the Cubs - looking at their bullpen he'd probably be second in line for saves behind Kimbrel. Was untouchable in 2018 then struggled last year. Has closer experience.

Orioles situation appears to be weak but to me Givens actually got the job for the first time at the end of last year. Harvey has the prototypical makeup but is still untested. Curious to get peoples thoughts.

I’m reading a lot of rumors that strop is going to sign in Miami. That makes a lot more sense. He would immediately close

30 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I’m reading a lot of rumors that strop is going to sign in Miami. That makes a lot more sense. He would immediately close

Would he?  They already signed Brandon Kintzler.  I'd think he would be in the mix and maybe they even promised him first shot to sign him for all we know.  I think the best case for Strop in Miami is that he would battle it out with Kintzler in spring training.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Would he?  They already signed Brandon Kintzler.  I'd think he would be in the mix and maybe they even promised him first shot to sign him for all we know.  I think the best case for Strop in Miami is that he would battle it out with Kintzler in spring training.

Report yesterday was Stop close to a deal with Reds.  Nothing new since.

Assuming he goes to the Reds (and forgive me if this was already discussed), then he loses all potential value imo given Lorenzen is better and the clear cuff at least last year.

For Miami, while Kintzler has a real shot he really doesn't have a closer makeup especially in today's climate.  He's a groundballer more than anything.  Just doesn't miss enough bats

To me, Urena was and is trash so I'm disregarding him. 

My money is on a ST competition between Garcia, Stanek, and Kintzler.  Garcia's got the best stuff and best control / throws the most strikes, Stanek best K upside but iffy control and Kintzler safest floor. So between Garcia and Kintzler.  That's how I would hedge. I lean Garcia.

Mattingly has said it’ll be a competition in the spring for closer.  I’d reluctantly put Kintzler as the favorite but don’t have a great deal of confidence in him or that prediction 

• Like 1

According to Hector Gomez of Z101 Digital in the Dominican Republic, the Reds have signed Pedro Strop to a one-year, $1.825 million contract.

The deal will also come with $1.5 million in performance-based bonuses, per Gomez. Strop was said to be down to the Marlins and Rangers late last week, but the Reds apparently swooped in with the most attractive offer to the veteran reliever. He figures to operate somewhere between middle relief and a setup role for Cincinnati in 2020 after pitching to a 4.97 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, and 49/20 K/BB ratio over 41 2/3 innings (50 appearances) last season with the Cubs. Strop had a 2.61 ERA in 296 1/3 innings with Chicago between 2014-2018.

Source: Hector Gomez on Twitter                      Jan 30, 2020, 1:52 PM ET

Strop is off the board.

Going into February here's what I have

Locked in: 

NYY:  Chapman

Toronto: Giles

CWS:  Colome

Twins:  Rogers

KC:  Kennedy

Indians:  Hand

Phillies:  Neris

Padres:  Yates

Astros:  Osuna

A's:  Hendricks

Cubs:  Kimbrel

Red:  Iglesias

Angels:  Robles

Probably locked in:

TB- Pagan - if anyone remembers this situation from last year, it was incredibly frustrating

Boston - Workman - did well towards the end of last year

LAD - Jansen - can't imagine they won't start with him

Dbacks - Bradley but some scuttlebutt Rondon may get it (ala Holland)

Brewers:  Hader, Top 2 RP but can't ever be sure how they'll use him

Rangers:  LeClerc, they seem to want him to close.  

Tigers:  Jimenez,  recorded 9 saves after the deadline.  Lack other options.

50/50

Braves:  Melancon/Smith - They say it'll be Melancon but who knows

Nats:  Doolittle/Hudson - Does Hudson want to close?  

NYM:  Diaz, but not sure this is as a slam dunk as everyone thinks.  He was terrible at times last season and Betances and Lugo are perfectly capable

Anyone's Guess

Pirates:  Kela -  somewhere in between the probably locked in and this tier but not the 50/50.  Feel like the Pirates will go with him as long as he's not traded.

Orioles:  Givens - mainly due to lack of options 

Marlins:  Kintzler - will have a competition in ST

Mariners:  Magill - closed towards the end of last year.  Lack other options

Cardinals:  Don't think Martinez is closing.  Gallegos, Miller, Briebba, Reyes who knows

Rockies:  Oberg.  Probably the favorite if healthy, but they could pivot to Davis if he looks good in ST.

Giants:  Tony Watson?  Shaun Anderson?  Yuck.  I could see a failed starter (Gausman, Beede) in this role by the end of the season.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Mariners signed RHP Yoshihisa Hirano to a one-year, $1.6 million contract.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic passed along the financial details and adds that the deal will include some performance-based bonuses. The 35-year-old Hirano struggled to a 4.75 ERA in 53 innings with the Diamondbacks in 2019 after posting a sharp 2.44 ERA across 66 1/3 innings for Arizona in 2018. He'll try to bounce back in Seattle and could potentially take on a high-leverage role -- maybe even the closer gig -- if he achieves steady results with his new club.

Source: Seattle Mariners on Twitter              Jan 30, 2020, 3:08 PM ET

Seattle signs someone for their bullpen.  Well really that is all I got here but given he was suppose to be a closer eventually with the D-Backs according to some but never got the gig maybe he will be in Seattle because, why not.  He has as much of a chance as anyone else on that team I guess.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Going into February here's what I have

Locked in: 

NYY:  Chapman

Toronto: Giles

CWS:  Colome

Twins:  Rogers

KC:  Kennedy

Indians:  Hand

Phillies:  Neris

Padres:  Yates

Astros:  Osuna

A's:  Hendricks

Cubs:  Kimbrel

Red:  Iglesias

Angels:  Robles

Probably locked in:

TB- Pagan - if anyone remembers this situation from last year, it was incredibly frustrating

Boston - Workman - did well towards the end of last year

LAD - Jansen - can't imagine they won't start with him

Dbacks - Bradley but some scuttlebutt Rondon may get it (ala Holland) -Ginkel if anyone I think

Brewers:  Hader, Top 2 RP but can't ever be sure how they'll use him

Rangers:  LeClerc, they seem to want him to close.  

Tigers:  Jimenez,  recorded 9 saves after the deadline.  Lack other options.

50/50

Braves:  Melancon/Smith - They say it'll be Melancon but who knows

Nats:  Doolittle/Hudson - Does Hudson want to close?  

NYM:  Diaz, but not sure this is as a slam dunk as everyone thinks.  He was terrible at times last season and Betances and Lugo are perfectly capable

Anyone's Guess

Pirates:  Kela -  somewhere in between the probably locked in and this tier but not the 50/50.  Feel like the Pirates will go with him as long as he's not traded. Crick if Kela goes but I have a gut feeling both get moved and job goes to Feliz

Orioles:  Givens - mainly due to lack of options 

Marlins:  Kintzler - will have a competition in ST

Mariners:  Magill - closed towards the end of last year.  Lack other options

Cardinals:  Don't think Martinez is closing.  Gallegos, Miller, Briebba, Reyes who knows Gut says Miller since they sort of gave him chances even with Gallegos dominating

Rockies:  Oberg.  Probably the favorite if healthy, but they could pivot to Davis if he looks good in ST. Rockies have millions of reasons incentive-wize to give to anyone but Davis

Giants:  Tony Watson?  Shaun Anderson?  Yuck.  I could see a failed starter (Gausman, Beede) in this role by the end of the season.  Read some stuff of Gausman but can't remember where and I may be guessing

Great list.  My thoughts in red.

• Like 1

I've seen Diaz ranked as the top closer going into season in some spots, I'd say he is certainly top 5.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I've seen Diaz ranked as the top closer going into season in some spots, I'd say he is certainly top 5.

FYI Yahoo's pre-ranking (5 x 5 with S+H instead of Saves only) has him as the 9th closer.  Ahead of him are Yates, Hader, Chapman, Osuna, Hand, Hendriks, Jansen and Rogers.

Diaz probably will get drafted around top 5, but he lost the job at the end of last season.  Struck out a ton but gave up too many long balls and was wild.  I think he has to win it back, which may be easier with a new manager.

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Seattle signs someone for their bullpen.  Well really that is all I got here but given he was suppose to be a closer eventually with the D-Backs according to some but never got the gig maybe he will be in Seattle because, why not.  He has as much of a chance as anyone else on that team I guess.

Good points. The one year contract + Incentives if traded + lack of good options + stated desire to close when signed with Dbacks = why the heck not lol.

Texas situation.  Another ringing endorsement from a manager about his closer.  Well unless this that and the other that is.  Hedging your bets much are you Mr Woodward?

Rangers manager Chris Woodward confirmed that Jose Leclerc will enter spring training as the team's projected closer.

Leclerc lost his hold on the Rangers' ninth-inning gig in the early part of the 2019 season before grabbing on to it again down the stretch. "I’d like [Leclerc] to be the closer; that would be ideal," Woodward told the Dallas Morning News. "I don’t think he has anything to prove as a good, elite reliever, but finishing games is a different story. As long as he’s executing pitches and has good command of his body and emotions, I’ll be really comfortable." Rafael Montero is probably second in line for the job as it stands here in early February, though he has zero career saves.

Source: Dallas Morning News                           Feb 5, 2020, 8:53 AM ET

21 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Texas situation.  Another ringing endorsement from a manager about his closer.  Well unless this that and the other that is.  Hedging your bets much are you Mr Woodward?

Every manager could say that about every closer. Leclerc finished the year as closer and there was nothing to suggest he wouldn’t start this year in the same role.

Love the discount so far but probably gone now sigh. 

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Every manager could say that about every closer. Leclerc finished the year as closer and there was nothing to suggest he wouldn’t start this year in the same role.

Love the discount so far but probably gone now sigh. 

Actually managers usually give more ringing endorsements instead of wondering if their projected closer can finish games or keep his emotions in check.  They might all think stuff like this but mention all this to the press?  Not so much.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Actually managers usually give more ringing endorsements instead of wondering if their projected closer can finish games or keep his emotions in check.  They might all think stuff like this but mention all this to the press?  Not so much.

Agree they don’t normally say that hence the word “could.” 

I just think this is stating the obvious is all. I can’t read Woodward’s mind but all closers need that extra mental edge and Woodward’s comments at most highlight the disappointment of last year.

Leclerc obv has some downside a la Diaz but like Diaz will be given every chance given what the teams paid (either in trades or contract) to get both.

This is Kirby Yates and Ken Giles last year of control. If the Jays and Padres fall out of the race (likely for the Jays). Could see either of them getting traded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

This is Kirby Yates and Ken Giles last year of control. If the Jays and Padres fall out of the race (likely for the Jays). Could see either of them getting traded.

If Yates gets traded and is still performing like he has the last two years he will still remain closer no matter where he is traded, IMO. Giles good chance to remain at closer as well unless he is already struggling. I wouldn't knock any value off either of these guys due to trade potential. This is reasonable for some others, lower tier guys like Kintzler or Kela. Maybe Brad Hand becomes a trade victim that's not a closer, he's only legitimate guy I can think of that I would knock down a few picks.

10 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Is Anthony Bass the handcuff?  Seems so but no one wants him even in the super deep drafts.  Can't think of anyone else no?

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Is Anthony Bass the handcuff?  Seems so but no one wants him even in the super deep drafts.  Can't think of anyone else no?

I wonder if Andres Munoz will have a crack at it.

Rays just traded Pagan to the Padres. Was this move to put Nick Anderson firmly in as the main closer? With a 42% K-rate and 15k/9, it seems like many believe he’s a top closer once given the shot. Thoughts?