murraygd13

2020 Offseason Closer Thread

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

In the world of closers, you can't guarantee anything. Lol. 

Alright, a bit of hyperbole. I feel like the odds are high though! 

There’s been a decent amount of moves this week with some surprises sent down.  

Provides a little more clarity to situations like St Louis. If we have a season 

9 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

There’s been a decent amount of moves this week with some surprises sent down.  

Provides a little more clarity to situations like St Louis. If we have a season 

What clarity do you see in St.Louis based off the moves?

14 minutes ago, jonninho said:

What clarity do you see in St.Louis based off the moves?

they shipped reyes and junior Fernandez down.  Miller is hurt. They had Gallegos close two games in ST.  I know they often use the closer in the 5th inning in spring but this seems different.  Despite talks of using him as a fireman role, it looks like he’s the heavy favorite again with Helsley the dark horse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

they shipped reyes and junior Fernandez down.  Miller is hurt. They had Gallegos close two games in ST.  I know they often use the closer in the 5th inning in spring but this seems different.  Despite talks of using him as a fireman role, it looks like he’s the heavy favorite again with Helsley the dark horse. 

Probably a good sign for a guy like Gallegos, but I wouldn't put too much stock in moves being made today in general. I think a lot of them are procedural and have to do with keeping players around that are out of options as long as possible before final cuts. Bunch of guys sent down that I'm guessing would have been on MLB rosters if today would have actually been opening day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

Probably a good sign for a guy like Gallegos, but I wouldn't put too much stock in moves being made today in general. I think a lot of them are procedural and have to do with keeping players around that are out of options as long as possible before final cuts. Bunch of guys sent down that I'm guessing would have been on MLB rosters if today would have actually been opening day.

I’m guessing that you granting of one year of service time doesn’t apply to guys in minors. If so, then holding them down may be service time shenanigans but I don’t know.