brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

10 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

I can't help but wonder if his stats were effected by potentially having stolen pitcher/catcher signs. The Astros claimed to stop recording in 2019...but can you really believe that? 

Before someone jumps down my throat...I'm not taking anything away from Yordan and his talent. Just bringing up the question.

Not worried about it

22 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

I can't help but wonder if his stats were effected by potentially having stolen pitcher/catcher signs. The Astros claimed to stop recording in 2019...but can you really believe that? 

Before someone jumps down my throat...I'm not taking anything away from Yordan and his talent. Just bringing up the question.

I came here to post because the same thing crossed my mind. 

However, he also hit 23 HR in 56 games in AAA last year to go with his 27 in MLB. 

1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I came here to post because the same thing crossed my mind. 

However, he also hit 23 HR in 56 games in AAA last year to go with his 27 in MLB. 

Yeah but nobody goes to minor league games.  They probably had a band behind home plate drumming and snipers out in center scoping signs.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, hailfire4 said:

Yordan has a MLB track record of poor defense. God invented the Util spot for guys like Yordan and Ortiz who can't field a lick. I remember when Wil Myers had some catcher games in the minors and Yahoo had him with a Catcher tag in preseason. They took it away before the season started since he was an outfielder. I used to win leagues in the old days when josh Phelps and the Hammer had a Catching tag playing real positions.

I feel like I had Josh Phelps every year he was available and I can't remember him winning me a day never mind an entire league...

As far as Yordan goes I'm seriously considering keeping him [...] in my league. I just love the guy and I'm not worried about eligibility as I think he gets in one way or another even if it takes a few inter-league series (my league is 5 games) .

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content
  • Like 1

In auction leagues I can see spending about 10% of the budget on Air Yordan.

Yordan is for real. His stats will drop a bit with that babip, but I fully expect him to be a top 20 bat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tm426 said:

Yordan is for real. His stats will drop a bit with that babip, but I fully expect him to be a top 20 bat.

Agree 100%...Kinda reminds me of David Ortiz

Anyone else excited for all the additional RBI chances this year for Air Yordy with other unnamed Astros hitters batting in front of him that will be getting beaned all season? Leggo 130 RBI’s!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dfstout said:

Yordys being let go by the manager in my league so he will be in the first rd (4) that we pick after the three keeper rds (so rd4)

What pick do you think he goes? 1st, top 5, 6-10?

I would pick him up with the first pick I had in round 4, he should go first IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Where are people in ESPN leagues placing him round wise with him being DH only?

My ESPN league has 2 utility spots so I don't care about him being DH only. I like that others care, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Where are people in ESPN leagues placing him round wise with him being DH only?

That wouldn’t bother me as my usual strategy is BPA. Looking at guys with similar ADPs according to Fantasy Pros (picks 34-44) (Marte, Sale, Clevinger, Boegarts, Springer, Baez, Albies) I'd rather have Alvarez over all those guys. 

10 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

My ESPN league has 2 utility spots so I don't care about him being DH only. I like that others care, though.

Same here, give me the talent and I will find him a spot

Posted (edited)

Now that I know my draft order I know this guy will never make it back to me in round 3. Is the 2nd round too much of a reach for Yordan? I really want him this year.

Edited by DFWSooner

On 3/1/2020 at 8:15 PM, DFWSooner said:

Now that I know my draft order I know this guy will never make it back to me in round 3. Is the 2nd round too much of a reach for Yordan? I really want him this year.

I think you answered your own question. If you really want him, grab him in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

Yordan Alvarez was scratched from the Astros' Grapefruit League lineup on Tuesday.

No word yet on the reason for the change. The Astros will surely provide an update soon.

Mar 3, 2020, 10:23 AM ET

Posted (edited)

Lol..."are you worried about him?"

"No. I heard he's [had this problem] for a long time."

Not exactly comforting words as someone who has Yordan. I think I'll be rooting for him to stick at DH, despite wanting that OF eligibility back.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

Posted (edited)

Old man at age 22, come on Yordy!

As long as he's bombing HR's and raking RBI's, I don't care if they have to push him around the bases in a wheelchair.

Maybe he's like Benjamin button and started out old and is getting younger...

giphy.gif?w=353&h=141

Fast forward to Yordan in 15 years...

source.gif

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

He needs to play 10 games this year in LF to gain OF eligibility?

Any guess on when he would hit that mark... June / Julyish?

25 minutes ago, clarkevii said:

He needs to play 10 games this year in LF to gain OF eligibility?

Any guess on when he would hit that mark... June / Julyish?

Adam Aizer I believe it was on CBS Fantasy Baseball today said if he just plays OF in interleague play he would hit that total around the all star game, but there is a chance he plays the odd game in the OF in a AL park but there is also a chance it takes longer if he only plays 2 of 3 in a NL park type deal.

Adam Aizer was clearly wrong though as Houston only plays 10 road interleague games all year with 7 of them before the all star break, he must have been counting all interleague games even the ones when they were at home.So after all that your guess is as good as myne.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

There is talk of him getting OF reps to give the other guys regular rest and to keep his OF skills developing.  I think he could have 10 by June if that’s the case  

https://climbingtalshill.com/2020/02/16/astros-yordan-alvarez-play-outfield/

not if he’s got chronic knee pain