brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

How can sore knees keep you out a MONTH

Better that than try to play through it.  No way to know if it's the same thing but Utley's numbers fell off a cliff in 2010 when a chronic condition started flaring up.  

The fact that a 22 year-old DH has issues in both knees keeping him sidelined before the season and can't even bat is about as big a red flag as possible for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Better that than try to play through it.  No way to know if it's the same thing but Utley's numbers fell off a cliff in 2010 when a chronic condition started flaring up.  

The fact that a 22 year-old DH has issues in both knees keeping him sidelined before the season and can't even bat is about as big a red flag as possible for me.

Im not too worried about his long term prognosis honestly (especially with his absurd stat cast numbers), and I’m glad that this happened in spring training, I’m just kinda shocked at how long sore knees take lol

did dusty affirmatively say he wasn’t sure whether he’d be ready by opening day? Or just avoided the question? 

Also, I feel like “can’t bat” is different in the regular season and spring training.  I assume the threshold to sit out is MUCH lower 

4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Im not too worried about his long term prognosis honestly (especially with his absurd stat cast numbers), and I’m glad that this happened in spring training, I’m just kinda shocked at how long sore knees take lol

did dusty affirmatively say he wasn’t sure whether he’d be ready by opening day? Or just avoided the question? 

"Dusty Baker is unclear when he’ll return to play or if he’ll be ready for opening day."

"Dusty Baker tells us Alvarez, who has been dealing with a sore knee, is not ready to play yet."

Posted (edited)

How much access does a player have to rehab/trainers in the offseason compared to when they're closer to the team in spring training/the regular season? I can only hope Alvarez is receiving treatment he didn't attempt during the winter (perhaps because he went back home to Cuba and the Astros were confident simple 'rest' would do him well...because the issue wasn't considered significant enough) and he's now on a positive trajectory.

Sounds unlikely of a professional athlete's offseason, but it's not a good thing to imagine Alvarez has been rehabbing since last October and still hasn't found resolution. 

Only positive is that it might be a minor issue and the Astros just want to get it to a 'non-issue.' Also encouraging (if that's the right word) is that he might have already been hampered by his knees last year and still put up MVP numbers.

But please, keep him out for the first few weeks or month. I'd far prefer a 100% Alvarez for 4-5 months than an Alvarez at 75% the whole year.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ugh hate early drafts...this guy should now be drafted outside the top 100. No way he lasts a full season on his geriatric knees

Edited by Dr. Whom

59 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Ugh hate early drafts...this guy should now be drafted outside the top 100. No way he lasts a full season on his geriatric knees

This seems like an overraction, but okay. he might even be ready by opening day, and missed zero time last year lol

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

giphy.gif

That's a pretty big overreaction to generic soreness.

Since it is both knees and there's nothing objective that's been reported, I would speculate there's some sort of mechanical source to the problem.  If I had to guess, this guy has bad squat form (or some other lower body exercise) and he's overdoing it in offseason workouts.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

This seems like an overraction, but okay. he might even be ready by opening day, and missed zero time last year lol

What does not missing time last year have anything to do with it?  This may be the beginning of something.  No way to know at this point.

1 minute ago, Magoo said:

What does not missing time last year have anything to do with it?  This may be the beginning of something.  No way to know at this point.

I'm saying that it's not we are sure this is a chronic thing since it's the first time we've heard of it.  Thus the overraction 

Dude is only 22 years old (!!) and is only just beginning his journey in the major league 162 game grind. Red flag imo. No longer buying unless there’s a discount. 

Posted (edited)

yep knees are shot, DND, avoid unless steep discount

Image result for evil patrick

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I'm saying that it's not we are sure this is a chronic thing since it's the first time we've heard of it.  Thus the overraction 

That’s fair my point was only that this is an ominous sign looking forward. Hopefully nothing big. But both knees? More indicative of something chronic vs. acute imo

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

giphy.gif

That's a pretty big overreaction to generic soreness.

Since it is both knees and there's nothing objective that's been reported, I would speculate there's some sort of mechanical source to the problem.  If I had to guess, this guy has bad squat form (or some other lower body exercise) and he's overdoing it in offseason workouts.  

A result of bad squat technique? I’ll give you +20 on the creativity there. 

6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

A result of bad squat technique? I’ll give you +20 on the creativity there. 

Bro, do you even lift?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Overlord said:

Bro, do you even lift?

LOL. Bro, do you watch Alvarez lift? +40 for the double down.

Posted (edited)

This has got to be a major red flag, right?  Knee soreness at age 22 that may keep him out for over a month? At the very beginning of the season?  What the hell has be been doing during the offseason?  Was he playing winter ball?    

I'll still be happy to take him if he falls but it's just another guy I had planned on reaching for who's dealing with question marks.

I'll be the jackass who ends up with Yordan, Snell, Judge, Stanton, etc.. saying to myself all season long,  "just wait until my team gets healthy."

Edited by DFWSooner
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

This has got to be a major red flag, right? 

They're being super cagey with the diagnosis, but since it sounds like identical symptoms in both knees my guess is Patellofemoral pain syndrome.

While I haven't experienced it myself, I can think of at least one friend of mine who played Rugby in college who dealt with it. If you're susceptible to it you need to improve lower body weightlifting form and strengthen the supporting muscles or you're going to keep aggravating it over and over again.  

I should also mention I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 3

We should all just assume his career is over. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

We should all just assume his career is over. 

I like the optimism.  I was thinking they should start scheduling his wake.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Overlord said:

They're being super cagey with the diagnosis, but since it sounds like identical symptoms in both knees my guess is Patellofemoral pain syndrome.

While I haven't experienced it myself, I can think of at least one friend of mine who played Rugby in college who dealt with it. If you're susceptible to it you need to improve lower body weightlifting form and strengthen the supporting muscles or you're going to keep aggravating it over and over again.  

I should also mention I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

How long was your Rugby friend sidelined?

2 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

How long was your Rugby friend sidelined?

He wouldn't lift lower body or run for a week or two every time it flared up.  

I saw somebody mention he missed no games last year from it. That I know for a fact is not true. I owned him everywhere and remember him getting rest days for the knees even last year. Can’t say how many(and think it was just a few) but it certainly happened. 

• Like 2

Would anyone be surprised if this guy is Nelson Cruz 2.0 

Good  for 10-20 missed days a year but is gonna put up the insane Power numbers with a good AVG when he plays