brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

A wise man once said "Injuries are going to find you during the season, why seek them out in the draft?" or something like that.

If you play in daily leagues, it's easy to swap him in and out. In weekly leagues, I don't need the headache. 

4 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

How did Big Papi's knees survive all those years?

Seriously. These guys are getting softer. 

Roids.  Guy was more juiced than Maximum security at the Kentucky derby.  Baseball needs to allow roids back.  I miss those days.

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

'General soreness' is pretty vague.   Color me skeptical, but knee pain isn't generally something without an underlying issue so this may be more serious than initially thought.  Could be meniscus related or some kind of tendinits/bursitis issue.

Edited by BigPapi44

Over under on 15 games missed in 2020?

There was some kind of "injury" last June...not sure what or if that is still part of the lingering issue.

Blurb from July-2019:

Astros' Yordan Alvarez: Knee remains bothersome

Manager AJ Hinch said Wednesday that Alvarez isn't completely recovered from the left knee injury he sustained at the end of June, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Alvarez missed only a couple games before returning to the lineup as the designated hitter -- though he did sit two games in an NL park -- but he's apparently still battling the knee issue. The 22-year-old is out of the lineup Wednesday, but Hinch indicated it's just a scheduled off day. It seems as though the young slugger will continue to play through the injury, but Hinch said he may require "a day off here and there" to help manage things.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

and a quote from the man himself today:

"It's very similar to the same pain I was feeling last year," he said.

Tweet from June 2019

and found what I couldn't remember on the injury from last year, fouled a ball off the knee...

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Thanks 2

Well, mystery solved.  The guy has some type of knee problem, he's probably playing it cautious but can ultimately play through it with a few rest days here and there.  Obviously no need to push with spring training (and even at the start of season)

4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Well, mystery solved.  The guy has some type of knee problem, he's probably playing it cautious but can ultimately play through it with a few rest days here and there.  Obviously no need to push with spring training (and even at the start of season)

is this a situation where he is 22 but hes really 28?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

'General soreness' is pretty vague.   Color me skeptical, but knee pain isn't generally something without an underlying issue so this may be more serious than initially thought.  Could be meniscus related or some kind of tendinits/bursitis issue.

Yeah,General Soreness is better than Corporal Punishment. That dude will mess you up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

is this a situation where he is 22 but hes really 28?

Either that or he's Benjamin Button and getting younger as he ages...The picture above ^ is from when he was a toddler.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Probable to start the season on the DL? I sure hope not!

On an unrelated note if Alvarez is 22 then Pujols already has his AARP card.  Actually the latter may be true regardless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Magoo said:

On an unrelated note if Alvarez is 22 then Pujols already has his AARP card.  Actually the latter may be true regardless.

It's always kind of annoyed me that Pujols lying about his age has been kind of glossed over when discussing his legacy.*  I understand why he did it (mama wanted him to be able to play high school sports and give him a chance at a better life, which would not have been otherwise possible) but the truth of the matter is that it violates a number of laws and is blatantly unethical.  The guy "talks the talk" and virtue signals while simultaneously living a lie and collecting millions of dollars based, in part, upon that lie.  

*Pujols is 2-4 years older than his listed age.  I base this not only upon the fact that I have eyes and have seen his high school photograph (I would note that H.S. coaches agree with me as they intentionally walked Pujols over and over again in protest) but also comments that Pujols himself has made in regards to his age.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Roids.  Guy was more juiced than Maximum security at the Kentucky derby.  Baseball needs to allow roids back.  I miss those days.

I agree, I want to see Yordan chugging the clear and rubbing in the cream while he's in the on-deck circle! Juiced Ball and Juiced Players...heck he may hit 150 homers!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

Pujols is 2-4 years older than his listed age.  I base this not only upon the fact that I have eyes and have seen his high school photograph

I did a little research and....

cd8323136f4c21d43a22a82d1ecb2e0b.jpg

You weren't joking man!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Mickey Mantle played with bad knees and was drunk most the time still hit 536 home runs and he didn;t have the DH had to play the field . Get out there and Hit Yordan you old man.

• Like 1

last I heard YA had a knee issue, but the Astros plan on playing him in the field even more this season.

The Astros are planning to play Yordan Alvarez in the field more frequently this season than last.

Alvarez played the field in just 10 of his 87 games last year. All of those 10 defensive appearances came in left field, although he did play some first base in the minor leagues early in the season. The lumbering slugger seems destined to play most of his career at designated hitter while also getting occasional duty at first base. For now though the Astros would like to keep him active in the outfield. All three of the team's current starting outfielders and their first baseman could be lost to free agency after this season -- neither Michael Brantley, George Springer, Josh Reddick nor Yuli Gurriel are signed beyond the 2020 season. Alvarez has battled tender knees throughout spring training and if that soreness persists beyond the COVID-19 delays they may be forced to use him solely at DH.

Dudes a complete beast, i play in yahoo pro leagues and he has OF eligibility already , I fully expect him to lead the league in HR’s this year and have a 290 or greater average , with 120+ rbis easy , and over 100 runs , for this cat in the 3rd round before the corona virus news , he will feel a lot better by then

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brye said:

Dudes a complete beast, i play in yahoo pro leagues and he has OF eligibility already , I fully expect him to lead the league in HR’s this year and have a 290 or greater average , with 120+ rbis easy , and over 100 runs , for this cat in the 3rd round before the corona virus news , he will feel a lot better by then

back up the bus.  so you are either unaware or completely writing off Alvarez's struggles in the post season?

in 58 ABs (1/5 of his regular season ABs) he hit .241 with 1 HR and 3 RBI to go along with 21 Ks.  Ugly 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jb_power said:

back up the bus.  so you are either unaware or completely writing off Alvarez's struggles in the post season?

in 58 ABs (1/5 of his regular season ABs) he hit .241 with 1 HR and 3 RBI to go along with 21 Ks.  Ugly 

Check the minor league numbers broski I’ll go by that track record , he’s a career 311 hitter in the minors , last year between minor ab’s and Mlb ab’s he combined for 50 Homer’s over 140 something rbis, I’ll take him all day at a 3rd to 4th round price tag, for a good chance at close to 50 homers , 125+ rbis in that lineup he’ll prolly have 140ish rbis, but yeah man I should be scared 😱 of 50 ab’s when he was dealing with an injury 

Edited by Brye

20 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Full time DH role coming up...

He’s already OF eligible for yahoo 

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

Well, it's not like he wasn't facing great pitching in the playoffs.  Regular season, the majority of ABs are coming against guys that are, well, not exactly elite....

21 hours ago, Brye said:

Check the minor league numbers broski I’ll go by that track record , he’s a career 311 hitter in the minors , last year between minor ab’s and Mlb ab’s he combined for 50 Homer’s over 140 something rbis, I’ll take him all day at a 3rd to 4th round price tag, for a good chance at close to 50 homers , 125+ rbis in that lineup he’ll prolly have 140ish rbis, but yeah man I should be scared 😱 of 50 ab’s when he was dealing with an injury 

I'll take the under this season.

if Alvarez is dealing with a knee issue I would think the team wouldn't want to commit to him playing the OF. unless they are not concerned.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2