brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

On 3/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, Brye said:

Dudes a complete beast, i play in yahoo pro leagues and he has OF eligibility already , I fully expect him to lead the league in HR’s this year and have a 290 or greater average , with 120+ rbis easy , and over 100 runs , for this cat in the 3rd round before the corona virus news , he will feel a lot better by then

This guys feels to me like a Juan Gonzalez in his prime type hitter profile...

• Like 1

With numbers like these projections he is going to be at least as good as trout, maynr pujols level of hitting?

What a steal

Are his knees still garbage? I can't find any updates

19 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Are his knees still garbage? I can't find any updates

Why wouldn't they be garbage? His long term outlook is going to be DH - at least I think so. I did look and did not find any knee updates either.  I wish his knees were not garbage as I own him everywhere ( 2 of 2 long term keeper and dynasty leagues) but I think it is what it is. 

yea got that. was hoping for covid confirmation or update on health. hes been missing for 10 days atleast. so hopefully wont miss much time

Extremely worried. The full range of outcomes are possible. He could be ridden with COVID in a country with no flights to the US. 

41 minutes ago, BeanMelvin said:

Just a gut feeling that we won't be seeing Yordan on the field this year. Bummer. 

Wow. Mr. Negativity. They say they're "doing everything they can to get him back on the field". That makes me optimistic. 

Ahh he will be fine. Unless he has some bizarre reaction to COVID and has it for months. Seems like the majority of these guys test negative in a few weeks

He's been cleared to play ball.

I'd guess he's with the club by the end of next week.

Obviously anything we say right now is pure speculation, but ASSUMING* that it is virus related, it could actually be viewed as a good thing. If he had it and has already quarantined and beat it, that means we likely won't have to worry about any future shutdown the rest of the season. In a year where players are going to be dropping like flies with no notice, it will be huge to have a guy like Yordan to anchor down the lineup as the season goes on.

There's definitely still some concern about him not being here, but I think it's outlandish to jump straight to "we won't see him on the field this season". If missing a week or two right now keeps him on the field the rest of the season, I'm okay with that trade.

If we're getting to mid to late August and still no Yordan, then it's time to panic... but realistically, what can you do about it then?

🤙Yordan will be 🍃🍂🍃🍂🍃🍂in no time...

16 minutes ago, dfstout said:

🤙Yordan will be 🍃🍂🍃🍂🍃🍂in no time...

...leaving?

• Haha 2

I'd be more concerned for pitchers and position players after seeing reports of the two Red Sox COVID lefties being gassed after bullpen sessions. TBH, I was so wrapped up in BASEBALL BASEBALL BASEBALL that I kinda forgot these guys were humans who were battling serious infections. 

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke said Wednesday that Darwinzon Hernandez (COVID-19) is "a ways away."

The same goes for Josh Taylor. Both pitchers are currently on the injured list following COVID-19 diagnoses, and Roenicke told reporters that they were "gassed" after throwing recent 20-pitch bullpen sessions.

Theoretically, the handful of DH-onlys would be less affected by COVID than any other player type. Of course, this is absent any other information about pre-existing stuff. 

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

...leaving?

Raking lol

And the time looks like 3 weeks or less...if you have IL pop em in til he is back...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Raking lol

And the time looks like 3 weeks or less...if you have IL pop em in til he is back...

😂 I was just joshing with you!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

😂 I was just joshing with you!

O yea man all good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

If we're getting to mid to late August and still no Yordan, then it's time to panic... but realistically, what can you do about it then?

Looking like it will be exactly then, according to Dusty 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Looking like it will be exactly then, according to Dusty 

Yep.  Details:

Astros manager Dusty Baker indicated Friday that it will be a while before Yordan Alvarez (undisclosed) and Jose Urquidy (undisclosed) return.

Neither player was allowed to do any baseball activities since the beginning of summer camp on July 3. "They missed a lot of time," Baker said. "It's going to take probably almost equal time that they've missed to get back." If Baker sticks to that timetable, it sounds like it could be as long as three weeks before Alvarez and Urquidy are activated. They were cleared to resume baseball activities Friday.

Source: Chandler Rome on Twitter          Jul 24, 2020, 5:42 PM ET

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep.  Details:

Yeah, that's trouble. Well, hope anyone with him in redraft can buckle down and survive.

All I know is that if Dusty Baker says it, it's definitely wrong. Unless it's about toothpicks.

• Haha 1