brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

Astros manager Dusty Baker said Sunday that Yordan Alvarez (undisclosed) only recently resumed hitting and he has no timetable for when the designated hitter will return.

“I really don’t know how long it’s going to be,” Baker said. 

Alvarez was cleared to return to activities over two weeks ago, but obviously the Astros are bringing him along slowly following an absence for undisclosed reasons.

What in the world is going on here...this bum's only job is to swing a bat and trot around the bases. On Aug 1 they said he would be 10 days to 2 weeks away, now it's no timetable, and they still won't "disclose" why he needs to miss half of a season that started at the end of July. 

13 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Yordan is 4-6 2 doubles a homer and 4 walks in the astros intrasquad games.

Think he's ready Dusty

Excited for Alvarez to come back.  My own personal guess is that he's back in a week.  He might be ready hitting wise right now, but maybe not, he hasn't been hitting for super long.  Dusty said that he's worried about him injuring himself (running or LOL his obliques from swinging/rotating), and considering how glass-like Alvarez has been so far, I can't blame him.  But I do think at some point they're going to get too tempted and pull the trigger.  Tey are trying to be disciplined but the offense really needs him badly and they are conscious of it.  I trust them to do a good job and not bring them back early- if you think we want him on our fantasy teams, they want him on their lineup a lot more with millions on the line.

Would have been nice to know that today was going to be the day, last night...he will undoubtedly hit at least 1 HR before most people can get him back into their lineups.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, exaulz said:

Would have been nice to know that today was going to be the day, last night...he will undoubtedly hit at least 1 HR before most people can get him back into their lineups.

Yup. Please save some homers for tomorrow.

Let’s review. 

DH only but had bad knees last season, bad knees in spring training, season starts in late July but still misses 3 weeks. Comes back, plays 2 games and sits out with sore knee. 

Yeah, this is going to be a problem. 

Great draft pick...will win many leagues

Chronic knee problems are not good for hitting.

They need I institute pinch runners, allow DH guys to remain in the game. 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:29 AM, Sonny_D said:

They need I institute pinch runners, allow DH guys to remain in the game. 

Ghost runners, let's go!

• Haha 1

Really curious what is wrong with his knee since there's no damage to his knee according to the several MRIs he's had on it since he fouled a ball off of it last season.  Beginning to wonder if he has a really horrible pain tolerance or what exactly is up there.

Getting hard not to be tempted to move on (as in trade) in keeper leagues despite being a great power hitter since this continues to be an issue even though he's been able to rest it plenty in the past and still can't play through it long term.

Apparently he played through the injury his rookie year and still managed to win rookie of the year and dominate.  I think that as the season gets closer to the playoffs, and he gets more time to readjust from being out from Covid, they'll let him play through the more minor pains 

Looks like he's done for the year. For those of us who have him in dynasty, it might be for the best. I'd rather the Astros figure out his knee problem than risk further injury. I'm a bit pessimistic but hopefully next time spring training arrives, Yordan will have solved the issue. Better to hold than sell low, at this point.

His knees should continue to be a problem his entire career, especially considering nothing is showing up on MRI.

He's on my do not draft list going forward.

• Like 1

Can someone with any medical knowledge explain how someone can have such knee problems without it showing up on an MRI.  Like, it has to be /something/

Dusty Baker says that the problem started in double A.  Honestly, he smoked Double A and then had a rookie of the year season while playing through this injury?!? Makes me both pessimistic and optimistic about long term.  Pessimistic because it looks like his knees might bother him for the rest of his career, optimistic because apparently he'll still be elite even when playing through it.  As a dynasty owner, I'm hoping he can have surgery or something and be good for next year, but this year I honestly wasn't expecting much.  He had covid and that can take months to recover on its own.  Then he was rushed back to playing after a week of baseball activities, which is bad for anyone but let alone someone who needs to build up activity for his knees.  

5 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He had covid and that can take months to recover on its own.  Then he was rushed back to playing after a week of baseball activities, which is bad for anyone but let alone someone who needs to build up activity for his knees.  

No one really knows if he had covid, or some other injury. For all we know it could have been more knee problems...it was “undisclosed”. I’d disagree he was rushed back. His baseball activities are swinging a bat and running the bases, it’s not something you need several weeks of doing before being ready.

3 minutes ago, exaulz said:

No one really knows if he had covid, or some other injury. For all we know it could have been more knee problems...it was “undisclosed”. I’d disagree he was rushed back. His baseball activities are swinging a bat and running the bases, it’s not something you need several weeks of doing before being ready.

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan