brockpapersizer

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan

He couldve been running/doing knee strengthening exercises fairly easily even with Quarantine during the entire off season, without knowing how long/severe his COVID symptoms were, hard to say how long he was bedridden for lack of a better term to where he couldnt complete said exercises, hes a DH, shouldnt be that hard on his knees simply running IMO

6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan

Nothing is easy for Senor Glass

To me, this injury dates back years and not weeks or months.  He's been rumored to have a bad knee going back a few years.  I actually am relieved to find out he had an injured knee and that he doesn't have "bad knees" which as a dynasty owner scared the crap out of me.  I'm happy that they found this and are fixing it and that he may be able to start fresh next season. Because of the "bad knees" thing I had been giving serious thought to trying to offload the risk.  I am encouraged that this could fix that problem and give him a clean slate starting next year - at least for a few years anyway.  

Good news for Dynasty owners. He's having season-ending knee surgery.

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Here’s your answer - torn patellar tendon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Here’s your answer - torn patellar tendon.

Thanks. Really shocking that this is after 'clean' MRI's... it must be a tear relatively deep in there and obviously not a full tear for them to have missed it. I figured when the MRI was clean it was a bone structure type issue, but it makes sense to repair this now and hope this is a long-term solution for him. Big bummer for people who just got him back, but this is the only reasonable path forward, it seems.

1 hour ago, aapox said:

Thanks. Really shocking that this is after 'clean' MRI's... it must be a tear relatively deep in there and obviously not a full tear for them to have missed it. I figured when the MRI was clean it was a bone structure type issue, but it makes sense to repair this now and hope this is a long-term solution for him. Big bummer for people who just got him back, but this is the only reasonable path forward, it seems.

Once repaired, how does this impact his long term outlook as a hitter? Even assuming he stays at DH...

22 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Once repaired, how does this impact his long term outlook as a hitter? Even assuming he stays at DH...

The real answer is we can't really know. These injuries and everyone's body are all different, unique situations. He could make a full recovery and be fine, but it could also be debilitating enough to where it jeopardizes his career because we know that athletes need to be at peak performance to succeed.

The patellar tendon tear is one of the worst knee tears you can have because it's less common (and thus sports medicine science has not advanced as much, think ACL tears) and it's a major, absolutely necessary part of the knee function (again referencing the ACL as less important). You have to be optimistic, though, for 3 reasons. 1) his game does not require peak athleticism or cutting type movements. I understand how difficult it is to have a swing mechanic that catches up to (or, slows down to) major league pitching, but he's not a speed player on offense or defense. 2) He's young. The younger you are, the better your body heals, and the more time you have to rehab and adapt. 3) The MRI was not immediately flagging the injury. We can't know, but we can make an educated guess that it was a partial tear at worse, which tend to have better successful surgeries and healing rates than ruptures.  

I'm not in the field or a doctor or anything, I'm just casually interest in sports injuries and medicine, including my own knee injury and rehab about 12 years ago. I hope this helps! anyone is welcome to correct me :)