CharlesCC2

Gary Payton II 2019-2020 Outlook

Anybody watching this?  Fresh off being signed has a double double/5x5x5x5.  10/11/5/5 with a few minutes to go, and he's still out there.  The Glove is back?

(Lot of bodies out and thus his being able to get 30 minutes this game, but with this performance who knows what to expect going forward?)

Edit: Sorry, people might not even know what team he's with.  He's with the Wizards facing the Knicks this game.

Edited by CharlesCC2

Against a team of PFs, your NY Knicks. With IT2 out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Against a team of PFs, your NY Knicks. With IT2 out.

Hachimura, Bertans, Wagner, etc, even if not all the same position.  This is the biggest caveat obviously, that the Wizards just have nobody else to play at the moment.

He put up nice allround numbers in the g-league. I believe he was leading the g-league in steals per minute and it showed in his debut with the Wizards,

Signed today, no practice with the team. 10 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals and +13. His 34 minutes were 2nd highest on the team after Beal. That's impressive even against the Knicks.

12 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Hachimura, Bertans, Wagner, etc, even if not all the same position.  This is the biggest caveat obviously, that the Wizards just have nobody else to play at the moment.

So you're saying they're both horrible? I agree. I watched the end of that game. They were each trying their best to lose. Neither deserved to win.

2 minutes ago, Eleqtrique said:

He put up nice allround numbers in the g-league. I believe he was leading the g-league in steals per minute and it showed in his debut with the Wizards,

Signed today, no practice with the team. 10 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals and +13. His 34 minutes were 2nd highest on the team after Beal. That's impressive even against the Knicks.

How many minutes do you think he will get when IT2 comes back and Ish is also playing?

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

So you're saying they're both horrible? I agree. I watched the end of that game. They were each trying their best to lose. Neither deserved to win.

Just emphasizing what I already stated in the OP and you reiterated.  They had so many injuries they had to sign him because they have nobody worth playing.  Basically all the stars aligned with it also being against the Knicks.  BUT you can't ignore the production, and thus I thought a discussion thread was worth opening.  That's all.

• Like 2

I added him. One of the few games Wiz have won and he was a part of it. We never know with this team. I didn’t think Mo Wagner or Davis Bertans would even have value here to start the season, but here we are. Same for IT. If they ever fully embrace the youth movement in the second half and just not play IT or Ish, he benefits. They should just stick with him and Troy Brown imo. Payton is a g-league beast and deserves at least a decent look to see if he can carry it over to the nba.

• Like 2

Though I added him, Im bit concerned for following reasons:

1. Hes been beast in g league for several years but couldnt carry that out to NBA level when he got the chance.

2. His 3pt avg in g league is abysmal literally. 0.200 ish.

I added him because I got spot for trending guy but if your least performing guy still give you jjredick-ish fpts, I say wait till the end of this week.

Added. He plays on the 26th, which is before the 27/28 and 28/29 B2B many teams have. No great cost to see if he can keep the production up , especially in steals. And if he puts up a dud on the 26th, there's plenty of stream options for the weeknd that have a similar profile (G. Harris, KPJ etc) . 

How about we don't expect a G league guy to be serviceable in fantasy?  Unless you're in a 20 team league?  He's lucky if he can develop into a rotation player. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/gary-payton-ii-helps-save-the-day-for-the-wizards-against-the-knicks/2019/12/23/33f1a33c-25b7-11ea-ad73-2fd294520e97_story.html

Interesting read from the Washington Post. Basically, Beal holds him in high regard, along with especially Troy Brown Jr. Troy Brown Jr and Payton apparently play together during the summer and grew up together. Said it made it easier to vibe on the court. Also, this guy played on such short-notice and played jet-lagged (flew from vegas to washington for his physical, then hopped on a train to New York). Had like an hour to study defensive schemes and plays. Imagine what he’d be like with a full practice in. This is a sure fire speculative add/lotto ticket. He’s the g-league steals leader at 3.2. Guess he got his dad’s defensive prowess. I don’t think IT or Ish are setting the world on fire and are long-term solutions for the losing Wiz. May as well ride the kid till the wheels fall off. 

Edited by Lockdown

This might be a Ky Bowman situation but if you got a spot to stream I would take a speculative add on this guy. 

2 hours ago, jrmintz said:

This might be a Ky Bowman situation but if you got a spot to stream I would take a speculative add on this guy. 

I would have to drop one of deandre jordan, gary harris, deandre hunter, or rondo to add this kid 🤔

8 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

I would have to drop one of deandre jordan, gary harris, deandre hunter, or rondo to add this kid 🤔

Rondo is streamable too. But Lebron/Davis may miss Wed so he is a hold for now. Brown has more upside in comparison but not sure if he sticks in Wiz lineup when everybody back healthy. However, good praise from coach and team mates so it's not unrealistic. I would keep an eye on him in your situation. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

How about we don't expect a G league guy to be serviceable in fantasy?  Unless you're in a 20 team league?  He's lucky if he can develop into a rotation player. 

Too late, I already changed my team name to "The Big Mitten". 🤭 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shiftysaj said:

Mitten Gang Stand Up! 🗣🗣🗣

When there is glove there is usually a scarf.

Scarf gang get your a$$ UUUUPPPPP!

37 minutes ago, NBA_OG said:

When there is glove there is usually a scarf.

Scarf gang get your a$$ UUUUPPPPP!

do you not know who the glove is? 

... NBA_”OG”?

scarf gang just doesn’t make any sense.

10 5 5 1 2 Line is not bad at all, i personally think his 2 way play will eventually put him over ish smith in the rotation, if he hasn't surpassed him already. Guess we'll wait & see when Isaiah Thomas comes back next game & if he actually gets signed to an NBA contract