Sign in to follow this  
ravensfanatic0

Overwhelmingly Great Rookie Class

On 12/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, joshua18 said:

Michael Thomas was trashed by so many "experts" coming out of Ohio State who said he was too old, not a true NFL #1 WR, never put up huge numbers in college, etc.

Just a reminder to not believe most of what you hear about these prospects over the next few months.

That's crazy. Everyone knows the best way to form opinions is to listen to reliable OPINIONS on ESPN and other news outlets and make them your own without ever doing any actual research to form your own informed opinion.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A few of my personal faves that seem reasonable with respect to draft position: 

- J Taylor to Pitt/Balt.   

- Swift to Atl

- Dobbins to KC/Hou

- Akers to Tampa

please bless us fantasy gods 🙏 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, vercrazy said:

There isn't a Saquon-level talent coming this year, but this is actually one of the deepest RB classes in years. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 5 starting RB's out of this class 2-3 years from now.

Agree. Swift (UGA), Akers (FSU), Dobbins (OSU), and Taylor (Wisconsin) are all legit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Geaux Saints said:

Agree. Swift (UGA), Akers (FSU), Dobbins (OSU), and Taylor (Wisconsin) are all legit.

I prefer CEH to Akers.  And man, if Etienne came out...

37 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I prefer CEH to Akers.  And man, if Etienne came out...

Imo Akers is a complete back and CEH is A COP.   A good one maybe....but he’s not explosive enough to overcome his stumpiness like MJD did.   MJD a much better athlete.   

Ettiene is my bet for 2021 overall Rb1

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Imo Akers is a complete back and CEH is A COP.   A good one maybe....but he’s not explosive enough to overcome his stumpiness like MJD did.   MJD a much better athlete.   

Ettiene is my bet for 2021 overall Rb1

I kinda think CEH fits today's game better in terms of how well he operates in the passing game.  Akers played well for a terrible team but to me he's got a lot more to learn about how he fits into a pro style passing game.  But time will tell.

Agreed on Ettiene.

• Like 1

Akers:  needs to improve his decision-making, balance and footwork behind the line.  He invites contact which can lead to injuries - he’s very “north-south” - not shifty.  More of a bulldozer.  Poor technique as a blocker.  Gets tunnel vision and fails to identify pursuit defenders.  Ran in a gap/wide-zone scheme that did well to mask his vision/footwork deficiencies.

Swift: Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.  Limited skill-set and unrefined approach between the tackles.  Wins mainly due to acceleration and cuts/spins when 1-on-1 with a defender.  Inefficient route breaks and struggles to elude LBs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Akers:  needs to improve his decision-making, balance and footwork behind the line.  He invites contact which can lead to injuries - he’s very “north-south” - not shifty.  More of a bulldozer.  Poor technique as a blocker.  Gets tunnel vision and fails to identify pursuit defenders.  Ran in a gap/wide-zone scheme that did well to mask his vision/footwork deficiencies.

Swift: Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.  Limited skill-set and unrefined approach between the tackles.  Wins mainly due to acceleration and cuts/spins when 1-on-1 with a defender.  Inefficient route breaks and struggles to elude LBs.

Awesome! Thank you.

What would be your top 3 rookies thus far? Obviously landing spot has the biggest influence imo. You can nit pick between prospects but the landing spot tells you most of the picture.

Id assume KC drafts a back somewhat soon. Bucs? Falcons?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

Awesome! Thank you.

What would be your top 3 rookies thus far? Obviously landing spot has the biggest influence imo. You can nit pick between prospects but the landing spot tells you most of the picture.

Id assume KC drafts a back somewhat soon. Bucs? Falcons?

Thanks!  I think Taylor will go first.  I think the Chiefs would be wasting an early pick if they went RB with one of their early five.  

Honestly, I really like CEH as an all-around talent.  Both Akers and Swift are good at the position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Thanks!  I think Taylor will go first.  I think the Chiefs would be wasting an early pick if they went RB with one of their early five.  

Honestly, I really like CEH as an all-around talent.  Both Akers and Swift are good at the position.

If the draft even happens I hope you put some input after we see the landing spots.

I'm in a deep dynasty at the moment with an early pick. Trying to do some DD before the draft. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just now, bhawks489 said:

If the draft even happens I hope you put some input after we see the landing spots.

I'm in a deep dynasty at the moment with an early pick. Trying to do some DD before the draft. Thanks again.

I’d be happy to - thank you for the kind words!

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

I can’t make many and judgments on cam Akers since I never watched him play a single down I just know he’s a top 3 or 4 guys in the draft to most people

I watched DeAndre swift play a lot of ball and always thought he was a stud. To me he is Alvin kamara 2.0. He isn’t as good a receiver as kamara but he can get the job done better than most. He isn’t a generational talent like saquon but to me he is the drafts best RB. 

I think Clyde Edwards Helaire had a good season but I believe it was mostly just being attached to the best offense in college football history. And I don’t know many 205lb RBs that ran. 4.6 forty that became star RBs I really like how tough he is and how many tackles he breaks but that doesn’t automatically translate to the NFL.

Johnathon Taylor is big, strong, fast, has great production in college and did it starting in his true freshman season. But I’m still a skeptic. He Has a lot of long runs but it’s usually one cut and then to the house. It’s not like he’s making 3 people miss and stiff arming his way to the end zone. He seems like he can catch the ball but he’s no saquon or kamara. Taylor reminds me of josh Adams from notre dame a couple years ago. Big fast kid with lots and lots of long touchdown runs they actually have the same career YPC average but adams was just a jag who was just taking advantage of a great offensive line and making one cut and exploding seldom making other defenders miss. Taylor is clearly better than Adams was but I think he is more situationally dependent than other backs in the draft like DeAndre smith or JK dobbins. 

Just for comparisons sake. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good stuff in this thread.   My comps and top 5 Rbs on my board: 

Rb1:  Taylor-   Nick Chubb, L Fournette

Rb2: Swift-  Shady Mccoy,  Dalvin Cook
RB3: Dobbins-  D Freeman, D Martin(Príme)

Rb4- Akers-  J Mixon,  M. Mack

Rb5- CEH-  Austin Ekeler, Brian Westbrook

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Obviously, landing spots and projected usage will be key in determining their value, but these are the rookie RB's I'll be focused on. 

• Like 1

I've pretty much finished going deep on rookie RBs and WRs for my dynasty leagues this year. To keep it short:

( "--" = tier break )

RB:

1 Taylor 2 Swift -- 3 Dobbins -- 4 Akers 5 CEH -- 6 Moss 7 Vaughn -- 8-11+ Dillon, McFarland, Evans, Gibson etc.

WR:

1 Lamb 2 Jeudy -- 3 Jefferson 4 Ruggs 5 Mims 6 Higgins -- 7 Raegor 8 Shenault -- 9-17+ Pittman Jr, Edwards, Aiyuk, Hamler, T Johnson, Gandy-Golden, Peoples-Jones, Claypool, Cephus, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

I like the Westbrook comp for CEH.

I heard Gore for Swift - that makes a lot of sense to me.  He packs a wallop and it takes a lot to finish him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m really curious to see how CEH pans out in the NFL. As someone mentioned above, he’s only 205-210 lbs, but he’s also only 5’7”. He’s built like a bowling ball with a thick lower body. Size is the least of my concerns with CEH. From a size and strength perspective, he’ll be fine. I’m not concerned about his feet or his quickness or his vision. There’s no measuring his heart...he just wants it as much or more than the next guy, especially when everyone says he’s incapable. I’m not concerned about his blocking ability. He was elite as a blocker at LSU, and I believe that will translate once he learns the NFL game. My greatest concern for him is his explosiveness and speed. That could be what really holds him back. All the other stuff is great, but if he struggles to explode through a hole he sees or run away from a DE on the edge or in the second level, he’s going to be limited. Maybe he has just enough to be successful and be a legit RB1 for an NFL team. We’ll see. The biggest thing is seeing where he lands right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I like the Westbrook comp for CEH.

Interesting comp, but a different build. Similar speed iirc, though. 

• Like 1

Wonder if the Bucs will take one of the RBs in the second

Jeudy makes the most disgusting cuts on his routes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sSektor said:

Jeudy makes the most disgusting cuts on his routes. 

He is an absolute elite route runner. 

This is really going to hurt Jeudy in my league where we award bonus points for Wonderlic scores

4 hours ago, sSektor said:

This is really going to hurt Jeudy in my league where we award bonus points for Wonderlic scores

I know the test means nothing but have you seen examples of it?

Now, there’s no saying if they take it seriously or not (I don’t see why you wouldn’t try it’s 12 minutes) but if you can’t crack double digits than you aren’t a bright one. The claim that 10 and under is illiterate isn’t too far off.

That being said, to be a WR you don’t have to be that bright. Plus, the correlation isn’t particularly there and a lot of guys got terrible scores and went on to be elite (AJ Green, Gore, Wagner, etc).

I’d be more worried about Tua who did terrible and there’s reports that *allegedly* he couldn’t learn Alabama’s playbook so they had to go back to the RPO. 

8 hours ago, sSektor said:

For reference, Peyton Manning’s Wonderlic was 28. Tom Brady scored 33. Blaine Gabbert and Drew Henson scored 42. 

TO scored a 6 and his NFL career as a WR went just fine. So did those of Randy Moss (12), Torry Holt (11) and AJ Green (10).

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I know the test means nothing but have you seen examples of it?

Now, there’s no saying if they take it seriously or not (I don’t see why you wouldn’t try it’s 12 minutes) but if you can’t crack double digits than you aren’t a bright one. The claim that 10 and under is illiterate isn’t too far off.

That being said, to be a WR you don’t have to be that bright. Plus, the correlation isn’t particularly there and a lot of guys got terrible scores and went on to be elite (AJ Green, Gore, Wagner, etc).

I’d be more worried about Tua who did terrible and there’s reports that *allegedly* he couldn’t learn Alabama’s playbook so they had to go back to the RPO. 

You shouldn’t be. The 13 score was from 2018. He got a 19 the last time he took it (NFL QB average is 20)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/college-football/wonderlic-scores-quarterbacks-2020-draft/amp

https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraRutledge/status/1251289489986772992?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3338706201597380551.ampproject.net%2F2004030010070%2Fframe.html

And BTW, Dan Marino (15), Jim Kelly (15), and the reigning unanimous league MVP (13) have all done just fine as NFL QBs.

• Like 1