Sign in to follow this  
Sidearmer

Luis Severino 2020 Outlook

35 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Luckily for the Yankees, that the Red Sox decided to tank just before Paxton and Severino went down, so this won't hurt as bad as it would have if there were actually 3 contenders in the division.

I still like the Yankees for the division, i just feel they have the most talent and depth in the division.. but.. Tampa is a scary looking team.

5 hours ago, meh2 said:

So his shoulder problem last year developed from throwing sliders. Now he can’t throw changeups b/c of his forearm so she’s concerned that his shoulder problem might pop back up as well b/c he’s throwing the slider more?

The Yankees really shouldn't have agreed to share the Mets training staff.

• Haha 4

over 50% bust rate for top 15 pre season ranked sp last year. something to think about.

Edited by colepenhagen

17 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

over 50% bust rate for top 15 pre season ranked sp last year. something to think about.

Sure...but what does that have to do with Sevy in 2019?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

this is why you dont take SP in the first 3 rounds

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Ones with any type of injury history certainly not.  I might even push that to 5 rounds.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

Sure...but what does that have to do with Sevy in 2019?

The relative volatility of SP and other players is highly relevant every year in deciding who to draft where, imo.

That is why, for me, Severino now is a fascinating guy to think about value-wise.  He may well just have the small elbow issue he claims, and thus you might get a top-10 pitcher for top-30ish price.  But the chance you pay for a guy who never pitches is also material.  

1 hour ago, Whizzinator said:

The relative volatility of SP and other players is highly relevant every year in deciding who to draft where, imo.

That is why, for me, Severino now is a fascinating guy to think about value-wise.  He may well just have the small elbow issue he claims, and thus you might get a top-10 pitcher for top-30ish price.  But the chance you pay for a guy who never pitches is also material.  

That’s the same thing people were thinking last year who got nothing out of the pick. 

no reason to gamble like that 

If it was only a loose body that would be good news considering the circumstances, but sounds like it might be something else as well.

Definitely a "do not draft" for at least the first 10 rounds IMO. I'd treat him as a top 150 player to consider in IL heavy leagues.

He is DND for me unless I can get him under $10 at auction which ain't gonna happen. Something resting on his bone that they 'don't have to remove' yet is contributing to discomfort. Sounds like eventual multi-month absence to me.

13 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

If you had Verlander, deGrom or Cole last year I doubt those owners were disappointed. 

Hitting on those stud types that stay healthy probably led to a few championships, especially Cole who was going in the middle of the third round in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems impossible that you can have a torn UCL after not pitching for a year. But he IS a pitcher, so I guess anything is possible. 

7 minutes ago, dod959 said:

It seems impossible that you can have a torn UCL after not pitching for a year. But he IS a pitcher, so I guess anything is possible. 

It’s not a torn UCL. I heard Bowden and Duquette talking about it on the radio at lunch today. He first started feeling it in October. Apparently he had an MRI in January, then another in February, and a CT scan in February and all came back negative. They (the Yankees medical) don’t believe the loose body is causing the discomfort, but I’m a little skeptical. I’m sure he’ll be shutdown from throwing but it’s quite concerning that the time from October to February didn’t fix it, so how is a few days or a couple weeks going to change much?

I’m not going to be surprised in the least to see in a couple weeks that the discomfort returns when he resumes throwing the change up and he ends up needing a ‘scope to remove the loose body. Nothing changes for me though. He was an easy fade last year, he’s been a fade through 4 drafts this year, and he’ll remain a fade for my remaining drafts.

56 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

If you had Verlander, deGrom or Cole last year I doubt those owners were disappointed. 

Hitting on those stud types that stay healthy probably led to a few championships, especially Cole who was going in the middle of the third round in 2019.

true.  but Snell, Sale, nola, kershaw, bauer, thor, kluber, carrasco, clevinger, tallion and  even Scherzer all hurt you

Edited by jfazz23

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

A true Ace  Sub 3.00  around 1 whip, 220 strikeouts or whatever is generally worth more than any type of hitter besides the true five category stud hitters . So if you get one of those seasons , it really doesn’t matter what you paid for in draft wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

My crystal ball says loose body surgery coming in 2-3 weeks

book it

As in arthroscopic surgery or Tommy John?

20 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

true.  but Snell, Sale, nola, kershaw, bauer, thor, kluber, carrasco, clevinger, tallion and  even Scherzer all hurt you

Max Scherzer didn't really "hurt" you last year.  Did he return exactly his ADP value?  No.  But if we're going to call that "hurting you", then so did Trout, Betts & Arenado.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, 89Topps said:

Max Scherzer didn't really "hurt" you last year.  Did he return exactly his ADP value?  No.  But if we're going to call that "hurting you", then so did Trout, Betts & Arenado.

trout won the MVP lmao.  arenado had another great year....id put betts right there with Max, sure

Hope we get some more clarity on the iniury next few days. He’s going through a bunch of tests today 

22 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

trout won the MVP lmao.  arenado had another great year....id put betts right there with Max, sure

Not in fantasy baseball he didn't

I want to see a Venn diagram of people avoiding Severino and people all over Glasnow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by Sidearmer