Rotoworld.com Forums

Mike Tauchman 2020 Outlook

Aaron Hicks is out for the beginning of the 2020 season, even when he returns Gardner, Stanton, Judge are either old or injury prone.  The Yankees also have DH open, unless they slide Urshela or Andujar in there.

Tauchman was a surprise for the Yankees last year, could he surprise again in 2020?  Has a path to a decent amount of at bats and offers some power and some speed after 13 HR / 9 SB in 87 games played last year.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Mike Tauchman 2020 Outlook
1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Aaron Hicks is out for the beginning of the 2020 season, even when he returns Gardner, Stanton, Judge are either old or injury prone.  The Yankees also have DH open, unless they slide Urshela or Andujar in there.

Tauchman was a surprise for the Yankees last year, could he surprise again in 2020?  Has a path to a decent amount of at bats and offers some power and some speed after 13 HR / 9 SB in 87 games played last year.

he was great before his injury.  tough to tell if hes a flash in the pan or not.  maybe a good flyer as a 5 OF or bench player in a deeper league.  hell def get playing time if hes healthy and hitting.  but he will probably sit a few games a week unless stanton gets hurt again...which almost certainly will happen.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

He only had 6 SB by the stats I'm looking at. Either way, he has potential for 20 HR and 10 SB. given 400+ AB. Likely won't be drafted in standard leagues and maybe many deeper leagues too but he's certainly someone to monitor when playing time opens up. The chances of all of Gardner, Stanton, and Judge to stay healthy are slim. I'd assume Andujar, Voit, and Frazier will rotate in DH, while Stanton and Judge also get plenty of time there. Hard to pull the trigger on Tauchman until something happens, though.

Judging the hit tool. Alex Chamberlain's piece on combining the tightness of a hitters launch angle and their exit velocity.

From the piece, "If J.D. Martinez isn’t the best pure hitter in baseball, then “Michael Tauchman” is. For real, Mike Tauchman always possessed an above-average hit tool, long before he ever developed power. (He used to be a speedy high-average guy!) It’s reassuring, then, to see how well he graded out here. My love for him knows no bounds."

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/lets-talk-about-launch-angle-tightness/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Light Tower Power said:

Judging the hit tool. Alex Chamberlain's piece on combining the tightness of a hitters launch angle and their exit velocity.

From the piece, "If J.D. Martinez isn’t the best pure hitter in baseball, then “Michael Tauchman” is. For real, Mike Tauchman always possessed an above-average hit tool, long before he ever developed power. (He used to be a speedy high-average guy!) It’s reassuring, then, to see how well he graded out here. My love for him knows no bounds."

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/lets-talk-about-launch-angle-tightness/

thanks for this.

but playing time may still hurt him unless someone gets injured.  i still say hes worth a gamble in deeper leagues.

• 1 month later...

With Stanton doing Stanton things and Judge doing Judge things, it’s time to start getting a little excited about Tauchman. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start off as a regular and find a way to carve out regular at bats all season. If you play in 5 outfielder leagues, I think he’ll be a pleasant surprise. And FWIW, he’s solid defensively which should give him a decided advantage over the Yankees’ red-headed stepchild.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wahoos1 said:

Any Judge owners stashing this guy til Judge gets cleared and is ready to roll?

Judge owner here, i havent stashed Tauchman, but thats partly because no one else appears ready to jump on him yet. I have my eye on him, and i dont think it makes much sense for anyone to stash Tauchman yet considering we dont really have a set date on when the season will start. In other words, its a wasted roster spot if come season starting time both Stanton and Judge are healthy.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, marble_donut said:

Is it time to start paying attention again? What's the playing time situation?

He’s a must own if Judge, Stanton, Hicks, or Gardner get injured but until that happens he’s hard to roster in most leagues. I think over a full season he’s a 4 WAR outfielder. It’s crazy how much depth the Yankees have amongst their position players that they can’t find a full time role for him.

• Like 2

Honestly as a Yankee fan I agree. However, As good as their depth is I think they need to trade a couple guys for a solid #2 starter. I fear a similar fate as per usual for the Yanks. We need An upgrade at Sp. Tauchman and Frazier are a nice starting duo - or Andujar and one of the above mixed with a Sp for an upgrade at Sp

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
18 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Honestly as a Yankee fan I agree. However, As good as their depth is I think they need to trade a couple guys for a solid #2 starter. I fear a similar fate as per usual for the Yanks. We need An upgrade at Sp. Tauchman and Frazier are a nice starting duo - or Andujar and one of the above mixed with a Sp for an upgrade at Sp

tanaka is looking great today and i think paxton turns it around.  pax needs to build arm strength and get his Velo up to 95+ again....in saying that, i really like tauchman. maybe they can package him and another player or 2 for another SP as you said.  not sure whos available tho.

24 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Can someone explain why Hicks is starting let alone batting 3rd?  I love Boone but why are they so obsessed with Hicks?  I like Hicks as a #4/#5 OF but he isn't a starter.  

It’s not necessarily that he’s great, but it’s to break up Stanton & Judge. Boone wants a lefty or switch hitter in between them. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaGreatest said:

It’s not necessarily that he’s great, but it’s to break up Stanton & Judge. Boone wants a lefty or switch hitter in between them. 

i agree. gleyber might hit 3rd if he gets hot.  id actually let tauchman hit 3rd right now, no joke.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, knifeparty said:

Can someone explain why Hicks is starting let alone batting 3rd?  I love Boone but why are they so obsessed with Hicks?  I like Hicks as a #4/#5 OF but he isn't a starter.  

Hicks is off to a slow start but is a decent switch hitter when going good.  Normally Torres would be there, but he is even colder than Hicks.  Right now, it is Judge,Tauchman Urshela and DJ hitting OK.  The rest of them are basically not showing up, most notably Torres and Sanchez.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kwelch said:

Not yet.

1. DJ LeMahieu (R) 2B
2. Aaron Judge (R) RF
3. Aaron Hicks (S) CF
4. Luke Voit (R) 1B
5. Gleyber Torres (R) SS
6. Mike Ford (L) DH
7. Gio Urshela (R) 3B
8. Gary Sanchez (R) C
9. Brett Gardner (L) LF

Probably just getting a day off. He played both games of the double header yesterday 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, kwelch said:

Sigh. I really thought Tauchman would get this start.

1. DJ LeMahieu (R) 2B
2. Aaron Judge (R) RF
3. Aaron Hicks (S) CF
4. Luke Voit (R) 1B
5. Gleyber Torres (R) SS
6. Mike Ford (L) DH
7. Gio Urshela (R) 3B
8. Gary Sanchez (R) C
9. Brett Gardner (L) LF

I thought he'd be in there too. He did play 6 straight games in 4 days last week but I thought that explained Sunday's day off. Then the team had Monday off so not seeing him in there yesterday is kind of disturbing.

• Like 1