Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Blake Snell 2020 Outlook

Can he stay healthy and put up 180 + IP?  Does he return to his 2018 level of dominance. Snell could be a relative bargain at the right draft spot, or if he misses time he could be a bust.  Someone likely to effect the outcome of leagues next year.

im all over him this year.  its why i wont be taking an SP in the first 2 rounds at least

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

im all over him this year.  its why i wont be taking an SP in the first 2 rounds at least

Same here....Think he has a BIG bounce back year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Same here....Think he has a BIG bounce back year

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Unfortunately I believe a lot of other owners including myself will be thinking this way.  

I thought for sure in mock drafts he would be going after round 5. In these two he went at #29 and #39.  I am not sure the value is there.  

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/2020-fantasy-baseball-draft-prep-early-h2h-mock-places-heavy-emphasis-on-pitching/

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-first-rotisserie-mock-draft-shows-rising-value-of-juan-soto-ronald-acuna/

• Like 1

Big bounce-back year! Just dread him facing the Yankees. Snell had a 17.7 SwStr% last year (best in baseball...100IP min req), even better than Cole's 16.8 SwStr% (2nd best). Fingers crossed for health!!

• Like 2

His strikeout rate is salivating. He has a legitimate shot at 300 if he can have a fully healthy season. His ADP on Fantrax is 43 as of now, which seems fair. He has the same if not better upside of any pitchers going in rounds 2-3 ahead of him. I will gladly take a chance. He got a bit unlucky with ERA last year, his FIP still sat at a respectable 3.32. I think he will be a popular pick at the 3/4 turn in drafts and it is justified.

• Like 1

Health is the only issue, his injuries have been nagging, didn't he injure himself doing maintenance on a toilet or something? Put the kid in a bubble and let him slay.

18 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Health is the only issue, his injuries have been nagging, didn't he injure himself doing maintenance on a toilet or something? Put the kid in a bubble and let him slay.

He was moving something made of marble (i think) in his bathroom after taking a shower. I remember reading the story and being like wtf Blake....

7 minutes ago, buccsfan22 said:

He was moving something made of marble (i think) in his bathroom after taking a shower. I remember reading the story and being like wtf Blake....

LOL yea that's it. 

2018 left shoulder fatigue

2019 surgery to remove loose debris from his left elbow

Can he pitch a full season in 2020 (200IP)? There's no denying he's one of the nastiest pitchers in baseball, if not THE nastiest

No doubt his stuff is filthy, but yeah- durability is a concern. Hard for me to take Snell over Clev, Flaherty, and Stras.

3 hours ago, mcdowellstl said:

No doubt his stuff is filthy, but yeah- durability is a concern. Hard for me to take Snell over Clev, Flaherty, and Stras.

Same.  As much as I like him I might have to pass.

Im buying him everywhere I can

• Like 3

Damn Yahoo updated their auction values for Snell unfortunately. They raised him a few dollars so now the bots bid him up to around $30+ in auctions compared to the $26 he was going for before.

In some drafts you could of stabbed him for $24, now it's going to be difficult to get him for less than $29 basically pricing me out on Snell. Very unfortunate and I'm not sure what causes the industry to be so high on Snell this year after a downer last year.

33 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Damn Yahoo updated their auction values for Snell unfortunately. They raised him a few dollars so now the bots bid him up to around $30+ in auctions compared to the $26 he was going for before.

In some drafts you could of stabbed him for $24, now it's going to be difficult to get him for less than $29 basically pricing me out on Snell. Very unfortunate and I'm not sure what causes the industry to be so high on Snell this year after a downer last year.

Clevinger's injury might be increasing the demand for Snell.

I think most people, myself included, are writing off last season as a total fluke. All of his underlying numbers say he got unlucky. His FIP (3.32), xFIP (3.31), and SIERRA (3.56) were all way better than his ERA (4.29) and more in line with what he did in 2018 (FIP - 2.95 / xFIP - 3.16 / SIERRA - 3.30 / ERA - 1.89), although he outperformed those metrics a bit.

His K-BB%, SwStr%, and O-Swing% were all better than his 2018 numbers. Also, his contact rate decreased last year so it's clear he still has elite deception in his stuff. The only thing that jumped out at me was the HR/FB number jumping up to 15.4% which is nearly 5% higher than his career average. However, nothing in his batted ball profile changed from 2018 enough to indicate there is an issue. He actually decreased his hard hit percentage and his FB% but somehow the HR/FB ratio jumped. 

He's got the stuff to be a top 5 fantasy pitcher this year.

Damn this sucks. Felt discomfort in his elbow during his last start and got a cortisone shot. 

Welcome to my all fade team, Mr. Snell. Please take a seat next to Sale, Stanton, & Judge. You can take the seat that was occupied by Severino since that’s been vacated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

[...]

(5 hrs ago) Snell felt some discomfort in his elbow after Wednesday's start and received a cortisone shot Friday, Josh Tolentino of The Athletic reports.

The Rays are reportedly not overly concerned, and Snell is already scheduled to play catch Tuesday and throw a bullpen session Friday, so he won't be shut down for long. Manager Kevin Cash noted that the shot was in the lefty's outer elbow, not near the tendon, which would be a considerably more concerning area. Still, it's hard not to worry about elbow issues popping up early in camp for a pitcher who missed two months for elbow surgery last season. Whether or not Snell is expected to miss time at the start of the regular season should become clear over the next week as he resumes throwing.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

What is the precedent for a pitcher having this injection?  Has any pitched well that season?

Posted (edited)

If I drafted tomorrow I wouldn’t take him that high.  But Rays are ultra aggressive with putting guys under the knife any chance they get.  If they aren’t overly concerned that’s likely a good sign.  This is one team that’s overly proactive in just getting things over with when needed.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Rays</a> Snell, on his elbow issue: <a href="https://t.co/tbk0EBtNQN">pic.twitter.com/tbk0EBtNQN</a></p>&mdash; Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) <a href="https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/1234160623279312899?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>