Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Blake Snell 2020 Outlook

On 3/3/2020 at 7:06 AM, tonycpsu said:

"injuries are going to find you during the season, you don't need to try to find them in the draft."

Damn I love this lol

• Like 3

Blake Snell (elbow) could return to Grapefruit League action on Monday.

Snell threw a 20-pitch bullpen session Friday, which was the first time he's thrown off a mound since he received a cortisone injection in his left elbow last week. How he bounces back Saturday will determine whether he can pitch Monday, but Snell said he felt "great" Friday and Rays manager Kevin Cash said the lefty "looked good, really good" during his bullpen session. It would appear that Snell still has a shot to be ready for Opening Day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well he pitched today, couldn't throw a strike.  Hopefully it's just rust and not that his elbow was bothering him.

This guy is probably the biggest quandary to me in the entire draft.  I usually wait on pitching and in mock drafts he's sliding far enough that it'd be possible for me to wait and get this guy as my ace, but damn that's a scary proposition.  I'm also having a hard time figuring how far he'd have to slide to be a good value.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFWSooner said:

This guy is probably the biggest quandary to me in the entire draft.  I usually wait on pitching and in mock drafts he's sliding far enough that it'd be possible for me to wait and get this guy as my ace, but damn that's a scary proposition.  I'm also having a hard time figuring how far he'd have to slide to be a good value.  

No earlier than 6th for me.

I am leaning towards that he does not have structural damage and feel the risk is worth the reward at that point in a draft.

• Like 1

Just now, Panther239 said:

LOL!     Maybe I should rethink my strategy.   Obviously I'm not as worried about results as I am his injury situation, although a performance like that may mean there are lingering injury issues.  I'd probably feel a lot better if he was my #2 than if he's my ace. 

Said the best part of the day was how his elbow felt and its "a non issue" moving forward

said he was having issues with mechanics, consistency, and umpire

Player speak but about all we can go off honestly

• Like 1

If I recall, he got absolutely obliterated quite a few games in the regular season as well.  It may have been due to the injury but I’m not feeling warm and fuzzy about him this year.  

3 hours ago, Panther239 said:

image.jpeg.22cce7f1be4ed32b0dff2e82d2fc2374.jpeg

• Haha 1

Not a concern.  He’s had control issues for a lot of career.  Takes reps for him to find his mechanics.  His delivery has had issues being repeated if you go back and watch early in his career.  He’s got time to get it dialed in before real games happen.  

• Like 3

He's on DND list because of last year.  I just cant get that taste outta my mouth no matter how hard I try

The more I think about it the more I think he is a pass this season.

Even if he his healthy, which is still questionable, he will likely be a 5 inning pitcher.  Its a Rays thing to do.

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not a concern.  He’s had control issues for a lot of career.  Takes reps for him to find his mechanics.  His delivery has had issues being repeated if you go back and watch early in his career.  He’s got time to get it dialed in before real games happen.  

You mean like those outings last year before he ended up needing elbow surgery? You might remember me as the harbinger of doom from such threads as Chris Sale 2020 Outlook and Luis Severino 2020 Outlook. I’m like the old man at the gas station whose warnings are ignored by the young teens on their way to camping at the secluded cabin in the woods down the road.

old man Meh: “there’s trouble ahead in them there woods ahead, ya hear?”

teens: “yeah, whatever old man!”

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

I’m like the old man at the gas station whose warnings are ignored by the young teens on their way to camping at the secluded cabin in the woods down the road.

old man Meh: “there’s trouble ahead in them there woods ahead, ya hear?”

teens: “yeah, whatever old man!”

Doesn't the old man die first in those movies, just as the kids pull away from the gas station?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Doesn't the old man die first in those movies, just as the kids pull away from the gas station?

Pretty sure it goes like this.  

Edited by AHF
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Pretty sure it goes like this.  

Fun movie for horror genre fans. Even have the movie poster. Every horror movie cliche rolled into one. 

Edited by MrBrett
  • Like 2

he'll be fine man. relax a bit. this next month and a half will help get him fully recovered and hopefully the mechanics is back to speed.

Here is his quote per ESPN..I don't know whether to laugh or take it seriously:

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29174318/rays-ace-blake-snell-says-refuses-play-reduced-salary

If MLBPA accepts the proposal - which actually would surprise me as-is - he'll play. 

"The locker room" will change his mind. Just a wild prediction.

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

If MLBPA accepts the proposal - which actually would surprise me as-is - he'll play. 

"The locker room" will change his mind. Just a wild prediction.

Seems adamant he won't.  They already could do a prorated salary based on games played and the owners said that doesn't work.  At that point, are they expecting players to take like 25% of their salaries to play?  How is that gonna effect guys on the minimum wanting to come out as well?  Snell barely seems like he wants to play even with the prorated portion.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Redphan said:

Here is his quote per ESPN..I don't know whether to laugh or take it seriously:

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29174318/rays-ace-blake-snell-says-refuses-play-reduced-salary

While I don’t necessarily agree with how he said it, I fully understand and agree with his reservations especially since details leaked of the new proposal to the public which shows the owners trying to renegotiate a deal in bad faith, which they and the players already agreed upon back in March in good faith.    

Players did not have to agree to take pay cuts at all as all of their contracts are fully guaranteed the moment the season starts but yet the deal that was negotiated at the beginning of the pandemic, has them taking a prorated salary based on games played.  That was fully agreed upon by both sides with the assumption that if and when baseball resumes there might be no fans in attendance for a good portion of the season if not the entirety of the season.  Now all of a sudden they want players to agree to even less money when they are the ones assuming all of the risk by playing and without them there is no product to sell at all.

The majority of owners for the most part won’t be losing money if baseball is played regardless of what players are paid this year.  owners are not stupid and care about one thing, profits.  If they truly were going to lose money on a shortened season with no fans then they wouldn’t want the season to be played at all and would recoup their losses before they even negotiated the first agreement back in March.  

But let’s go into a little more detail on why the owners are at fault here and being greedy, not the players.  Also, why their new proposal of revenue sharing with players would further screw players on multiple levels aside from what has already been mentioned above.  

A 50 50 split of revenue on the surface seems like a descent starting point however unlike in other sports baseball does not require owners to report or share all their sources of revenue with players or the public. They don’t even make it fully clear on what constitutes as sources of revenue for baseball purposes.  Usually television deals, streaming, local and national team sponsorships as well as other sources of income an owner may have such as parking, bars and restaurants they may own around the stadium just to name a few revenue streams which will most likely not be included in any revenue they report or share with players.  So what does that leave as revenue? Ticket sales, concessions and merchandise and 2 out of 3 of those revenue sources will not even be a factor for the majority if not the entirety of the season in some if not all regions.  This proposal would also leave the owners with lots of wiggle room to do creative book keeping to further screw players when it is all said and done.

In addition to this the players will have to divide the profits among 50 or so players per team with expanded rosters and taxi squads while the owners keep half for themselves. Then you also have to figure out how the money is devided among the players.  Will a rookie be making the same money as a veteran player? Will a bench player make as much as a superstar who would’ve been making millions compared to hundreds of thousands of dollars?  And even if all of that gets worked out to players satisfaction there is still a huge question mark of how much actual money there will be to share amongst them.   

Now let’s even put the financials aside.  The players, coaches and staff, umpires, television crews (as well as bus drivers, hotel staff, restaurants/caterers among others involved who will be neccisary to make a season happen) are the ones who will all be be put at risk here, not the owners and they all deserve to be fully compensated for this.  All involved with the exception of the owners will be playing through considerable health risk throughout this pandemic regardless of all the safety protocols and precautions that will be put in place.  It’s ez for the owners and politicians or anyone else including fans to just say they should get back and play just because we miss sports and they already make a ton of money(which is not even the case for all players as plenty of young players don’t even make all that much.) 

I miss sports and particularly baseball as much as anyone but I would rather there not be a season at all then to rush it back too soon and put everyone at unnecessary risk but if the players aren’t properly compensated for it after they already agreed in good faith to take a massive pay cut in which the owners agreed upon I think Snell and any other player has every right to feel this way if they choose to,

Sadly these negotiations can drag on for a while and the longer they do the likely hood of any season happening at all gets slimmer and slimmer regardless of other issues such as public health, availability and increased testing capacity with quick turn around and greater accuracy  and other measures that would need to be taken to get the season started.

Edited by 2Balls1Bat
  • Like 2