Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Blake Snell 2020 Outlook

9 hours ago, Redphan said:

Here is his quote per ESPN..I don't know whether to laugh or take it seriously:

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29174318/rays-ace-blake-snell-says-refuses-play-reduced-salary

Lots of posturing during negotiations.   

Owners use reporters to say they are close to an agreement which is obviously not true to try and turn fans on players when they reject first offer.

Players say things in return.   Testing is going to be the key for the players and making sure there is a high level of safety for everybody.

I'm sure Blake Snell isn't the only player that has concerns about returning.   

But which big name players that have made lots of money actually stay home this season.

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I'm sure Blake Snell isn't the only player that has concerns about returning.   

But which big name players that have made lots of money actually stay home this season.

Well Chris Sale will but then he has a legit excuse.    :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Tbh, I have no problem with Snell's comments. I think it is different for pitchers. There are only so many bullets in those arms. Guys who were straight beasts like Brandon Webb and Tim Lincecum can lose it very quickly due to injury. Injury can develop if players deviate from their established routines for any reason. It really sucks and sure most common fans are gonna roll their eyes hard when there are much bigger concerns going on in the world. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, supac720 said:

Tbh, I have no problem with Snell's comments. I think it is different for pitchers. There are only so many bullets in those arms. Guys who were straight beasts like Brandon Webb and Tim Lincecum can lose it very quickly due to injury. Injury can develop if players deviate from their established routines for any reason. It really sucks and sure most common fans are gonna roll their eyes hard when there are much bigger concerns going on in the world. 

That’s all true. But Blake pulled the “we’re risking our lives!” If that’s the case, you don’t play, period. But he won’t risk his life for some money, but more money will make it ok? Come on. His motivation is super transparent.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That’s all true. But Blake pulled the “we’re risking our lives!” If that’s the case, you don’t play, period. But he won’t risk his life for some money, but more money will make it ok? Come on. His motivation is super transparent.

More like he wants the money that was agreed upon. That sounds reasonable in my eyes. 

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The one reason to defend the billionaire (and there should be, we shouldn’t just blindly pick rooting against the person with more money, it should be about right and wrong) is that they bring in so much revenue because of the risk involved. Not everyone has billions and is willing to front load money into teams/players/stadiums what have you.

Well now is that risk.

I don’t want to see anyone losing money hand over fist. But if they lose a little money (relatively speaking) this season, they’ll make it back. That’s what they signed up for. That’s why they bring in hundreds of millions in other years.

Snell, like many players, was completely tone deaf with HOW he said things, no doubt. But they shouldn’t take ANOTHER cut on top of what was agreed upon. Both sides are negotiating in the media right now. I think it gets done, because it would be absolutely disastrous PR for the entire league if they squabble over and end up not playing over money during this time.  

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

More like he wants the money that was agreed upon. That sounds reasonable in my eyes. 

100%. And I said as much in another thread. But then say as much. That’s the issue. “I’m afraid for my life!” is completely disingenuous and hurts the players’ position in the eyes of the public more than it helps.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:10 AM, AHF said:

Pretty sure it goes like this.  

I know it was well received, at the time, but I still think that is an underrated movie. Funny, scary, thought provoking.  A really cool concept that could not have been executed better. 

• Like 1

"on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%."   What's he talking about with the 33%?  This was right after he said he shouldn't only get paid half because there's half of a season.

This clown needs to count his blessings. He's lucky he has a guaranteed contract with a few years left because if it was a contract year he'd be getting lowballed by all the owners in the offseason.  If they were to extend the season he would be the first one lining up saying he deserves more money for more games.  FOH Snell. If he wants to give up the money he's owed and retire no one will miss him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MrBrown said:

"on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%."   What's he talking about with the 33%?  This was right after he said he shouldn't only get paid half because there's half of a season.

This clown needs to count his blessings. He's lucky he has a guaranteed contract with a few years left because if it was a contract year he'd be getting lowballed by all the owners in the offseason.  If they were to extend the season he would be the first one lining up saying he deserves more money for more games.  FOH Snell. If he wants to give up the money he's owed and retire no one will miss him.

That would be the difference between prorating for 80 games and what he would make in the revenue share idea. Players have already voted and agreed to be paid a prorated portion. That’s not in dispute. 

Posted (edited)

The country is in a war against this virus - millions are risking their lives for minimum wage every day...and this clown cant take a pay cut from his multi million dollar pay for the good of the league and country?  I wish Ted Williams and Joe D were alive to smack some sense into this guy and others who think like him....they went to war when their country needed them and sacrificed years of their career....shameful. 

Edited by Big Tuna
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

The country is in a war against this virus - millions are risking their lives for minimum wage every day...and this clown cant take a pay cut from his multi million dollar pay for the good of the league and country?  I wish Ted Williams and Joe D were alive to smack some sense into this guy and others who think like him....they went to war when their country needed them and sacrificed years of their career....shameful. 

I can bet he ain’t the only athlete baseball player that might feel that way. 
Never understood the need to judge what others think is the best for them, there families etc.. .. this has turned into a LeVeon Bell situation. Too many people think the are judge, jury and executioner when they haven’t walk in that persons shoes. Shameful 

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I can bet he ain’t the only athlete baseball player that might feel that way. 
Never understood the need to judge what others think is the best for them, there families etc.. .. this has turned into a LeVeon Bell situation. Too many people think the are judge, jury and executioner when they haven’t walk in that persons shoes. Shameful 

What he said was wrong and definitely not the time for him to say it imo. After what he said he tried to backtrack and say its about health and not about money. Yea right. It also shows a lack of empathy/sympathy and how far from the real world some of these players are. “Y’all gotta understand, man, for me to go, for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof.” As if healthcare workers aren't MORE at risk than him as if there are not people already working and putting themselves at risk with very little testing. Its a shame because the players have legitimate gripes over some of the issues, but what Snell said came off as arrogant, selfish, and entitled. And this is coming from someone who thinks the players should get paid. Snell should have just shut his mouth and said nothing cause this made the players look bad. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

Joe D in 1942 held out during Spring training for more money. Drafted in 1943 and stationed in San Diego to play baseball. 1944 transferred to Hawaii again to play baseball. The closest he came to seeing "action" was about 1000 miles. 

I think Blake Snell should play it safe and take the year off.

Sign

Brendon McKay

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, Theoneupper said:

What he said was wrong and definitely not the time for him to say it imo. After what he said he tried to backtrack and say its about health and not about money. Yea right. It also shows a lack of empathy/sympathy and how far from the real world some of these players are. “Y’all gotta understand, man, for me to go, for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof.” As if healthcare workers aren't MORE at risk than him as if there are not people already working and putting themselves at risk with very little testing. Its a shame because the players have legitimate gripes over some of the issues, but what Snell said came off as arrogant, selfish, and entitled. And this is coming from someone who thinks the players should get paid. Snell should have just shut his mouth and said nothing cause this made the players look bad. 

Just because they are at a higher risk doesn’t mean he has none. To him the risk was too high. Healthcare workers have the right to decide if that’s the case too. Not everyone is a hero. 

Blake Snell comments in the very least were incredibly immature with impeccably bad timing, but he's still only what? 26? 27 and maybe in some of his haphazard comments are the same thoughts enjoyed by players NOT expressing those ideas that we fans otherwise lionize. So I'll keep things in perspective and just hope this plays out and we get baseball back soon. Even a modified Spring Training beginning in mid June has me excited.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Blake Snell comments in the very least were incredibly immature with impeccably bad timing, but he's still only what? 26? 27 and maybe in some of his haphazard comments are the same thoughts enjoyed by players NOT expressing those ideas that we fans otherwise lionize. So I'll keep things in perspective and just hope this plays out and we get baseball back soon. Even a modified Spring Training beginning in mid June has me excited.

for the modified ST In June idea, we are gonna need to hear to positive thoughts from players association soon....an agreement would be even nicer. But all we got is Blake snell playing vids talking about getting his.

Edited by Whitecloud0101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

I have never ever "lionize" baseball players.  They are athletes, not philosophers or heroes.  I can appreciate their skills but I can't lionize them just for be good athletes.

There are a few exceptions that I would put in the hero class but not because they were good players though they were also that.  But for bravery at a human level.  Jackie Robinson who had to put up with more crap than all the other players in the league in especially his first season and standing up and bearing that horrible racism with true dignity and bravery in response.  And Roberto Clemente who was trying to help out hurricane victims when it cost him his life.  I am sure there are a few others involved deeply in charity too.   And Ted Williams risking his life flying jets in the Korean War where he was John Glenn's wingman instead of whining about the money he had lost missing so many of his prime baseball years in WWII and Korea.  But all of this is outside the confines of the game itself.

Yeah Blake Snell is a idiot, entitled, selfish pos saying he’s risking his life lol and needs more money just sad. He’s lucky he even won the cy young, Verlander had the better year and crushed him in war stat.

• Like 1

Bad timing and delivery by Snell doesn’t change the fact the owners made an agreement and now are trying to squeeze players for more. Think reading anything else into it is just get off my lawn rhetoric...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

for the modified ST In June idea, we are gonna need to hear to positive thoughts from players association soon....an agreement would be even nicer. But all we got is Blake snell playing vids talking about getting his.

He should have just said, "lots of moving parts, lets see how things shake out". No need to negotiate via the media. Just sit tight, play your video games, bargain for what you think is right and be done with it. Now he looks like a careless idiot who doesn't realize while he's "not getting his", there are people who now have no money, others will go bankrupt, the banks will eventually foreclose on people and others may even end up homeless, all situations Blake Snell doesn't need to worry with. Yes, it's annoying as **** to watch millionaires and billionaires whine about how rough their life is, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just wasn't thinking and could have been far more understanding and diplomatic. Snell comes off as an idiot, but it's just one comment and I don't want to judge him by one stupid quote. 

Edited by kwolf68

1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Yeah Blake Snell is a idiot, entitled, selfish pos saying he’s risking his life lol and needs more money just sad. He’s lucky he even won the cy young, Verlander had the better year and crushed him in war stat.

You realize that all of these arguements easily apply to the owners probably 100×+.

He was asked a question and answered it honestly.  As a pitcher there is a lot more risk involved already.  Now throw covid.  Then throw in this get ready nevermind seasons postponed so cool down then get ready again.  Throw in the uncertainty going forward.  Regardless of if it is within your risk threshold it is certainly far riskier to play this season than in seasons past.

So if any player is not comfortable with it then that's their decision.

Anyone who has a problem with what Snell said would be a hypocrite to not apply the same logic to the owners.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rotocious said:

He was asked a question and answered it honestly.  As a pitcher there is a lot more risk involved already.  Now throw covid.  Then throw in this get ready nevermind seasons postponed so cool down then get ready again.  Throw in the uncertainty going forward.  Regardless of if it is within your risk threshold it is certainly far riskier to play this season than in seasons past.

Na, Blake Snell is a pro its not very hard to ramp back up for a season given they have a month (which they will). Imo Snells just mad because he was set to get paid 7 Million which is a lot more than his base salary of 1 million last year and now he wants "his". Reportedly its supposed to be an 82 game season, so why should he feel entitled for his full salary he's not playing 162, its just stupid. Especially with no or limited fans this year, does Snell expect the owners to just pay out of their pocket for this shortened season just so he can get "his"? Its just moronic he should be grateful to even play for 3.5 million.

• Haha 1