Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Blake Snell 2020 Outlook

49 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think the point some people in here are trying to make is that most of these owners got to this point in their life by being shrewd, savvy, and ruthless businessmen. They didn’t invest in an MLB franchise because they wanted to donate some of their personal wealth to bring a championship to a city, they invested because they thought it would be another profitable investment. They’re going to take a loss this year no matter what. They’re going after the players’ salaries this year because that’s their best shot to lessen some of their losses. Fans will also be targeted. You can bet that ticket prices are going up next year. Concessions, parking, and merch prices will also go up. Free agents in the next couple years will also feel the crunch.

Possibly, if that's what the market will bear.

But I don't see what that has to do with owners opening the books.

Two main points that haven't really been talked about.

Many of these MLB Owners inherited money.  Most MLB players worked they way up to being rich.  So when it comes to deserving the slice, I'm siding with the dudes who earned not the guys who used daddy's money.

Secondly if this was hurting the owners so much and they were in such distress why aren't they selling the team?  How many of these owners do you think sell their teams?  When regular working class people were actually in trouble they had to sell or lose their home.  Just their home let alone their business.  It's disgusting some of the owners BS some of you guys eat up. 

Again you CANNOT be mad about players pay and be okay with owners pay without being a hypocrite period.  Honestly simple mathematics says it's illogical to not be more mad about owners pay.  Let alone all the other reasons outside of math.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Two main points that haven't really been talked about.

Many of these MLB Owners inherited money.  Most MLB players worked they way up to being rich.  So when it comes to deserving the slice, I'm siding with the dudes who earned not the guys who used daddy's money.

Secondly if this was hurting the owners so much and they were in such distress why aren't they selling the team?  How many of these owners do you think sell their teams?  When regular working class people were actually in trouble they had to sell or lose their home.  Just their home let alone their business.  It's disgusting some of the owners BS some of you guys eat up. 

Again you CANNOT be mad about players pay and be okay with owners pay without being a hypocrite period.  Honestly simple mathematics says it's illogical to not be more mad about owners pay.  Let alone all the other reasons outside of math.

To me it's simple.

1.) This agreement was ALREADY in place.  Everyone was aware that playing games without fans was a possibility.

2.) The owners are now saying they will lose money based on the existing agreement.  If that's the case - prove it.  Open your books.

Asking to redo an agreement that is already in place solely to protect the owner's interests based on projections they've created without showing their work is totally unreasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

To me it's simple.

1.) This agreement was ALREADY in place.  Everyone was aware that playing games without fans was a possibility.

2.) The owners are now saying they will lose money based on the existing agreement.  If that's the case - prove it.  Open your books.

Asking to redo an agreement that is already in place solely to protect the owner's interests based on projections they've created without showing their work is totally unreasonable.

The deal they agreed to in March has a caveat that fans would need to be in attendance if not each owner would average a 640k loss. So if no fans this year that agreement is null.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

The deal they agreed to in March has a caveat that fans would need to be in attendance if not each owner would average a 640k loss. So if no fans this year that agreement is null.

The agreement was never made public, and the only evidence that this "caveat" existed was a second hand email between lawyers that says, "that's what he thought."

In any event, the lack of foresight should not be on the players but on the owners since, again, everyone knew this was a possibility (you'll find no shortage of articles in March talking about empty stadiums) and THEY are the ones asking for a new agreement.

And the "640k loss" is the owners projection, not subject to scrutiny on behalf of the players they are asking to share revenue with, because they won't open the books.

If your employer said, "instead of the salary in your employment contract, we want you to take a share of whatever the company makes this year, and we won't show you how we get that number, you just have to take our word for it" would you not push back on that?  Even if you had a Union that was designed to help you collectively bargain your salary?

C'mon.  This is crazy town.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rotocious said:

Correct. 

5 hours ago, Rotocious said:

No matter what I will always support the player. He/she has the right to determine the best course of action whether if he is holding out for more money, better contract, family reasons or mental health. Never understood why others don’t see that... This thread reminds me just a little of the LeVeon Bell. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Blake Snell (elbow) has not been throwing off a mound since spring training was shut down.

Snell had an abbreviated spring training after experiencing soreness in his surgically-repaired left elbow. However, the fact that he hasn't done any mound work for a while appears to be precautionary, as pitching coach Kyle Snyder expects the southpaw to have "zero limitations" when/if spring training 2.0 gets underway.

This guy is gonna need a month or more to get back to 5 inn a game... Smh

Edited by OrangeCrush

On 5/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, sjs1890 said:

Because there is no need to for the owners. What greater good lol? If the owners just open the books to try and save this season then guess who ends up paying for it in the long run? The paying fans with even more outrageous prices when they allow fans back into the games. America runs on capitalism and the owners hold the trump card.

I think you're misinterpreting what "open the books means".

And the owners absolutely have incentive for the season to be played.  A missed season would be detrimental to the long term health of the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I think you're misinterpreting what "open the books means".

And the owners absolutely have incentive for the season to be played.  A missed season would be detrimental to the long term health of the league.

Agreed, even more so if the NBA, NHL, NFL, NCAA, European soccer leagues, MLS, Nascar, UFC, PGA, etc etc are all happening during the pandemic. Baseball will not recover from that.

• Like 1

What are we looking at for this guy? Looks like he will face Tor then Balt. I have to be honest, i'm a tad worried about starting this guy @either... Just not sure what kind of inn/PC we are looking at. Any thought/info?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

What are we looking at for this guy? Looks like he will face Tor then Balt. I have to be honest, i'm a tad worried about starting this guy @either... Just not sure what kind of inn/PC we are looking at. Any thought/info?

If you're going to be worried about starting Snell for any match up really, you probably shouldn't have drafted him.

To answer your question, I am looking for him to dominate, regardless of opponent.

Edited by hangin n wangin

He described himself as feeling like he’s still in the third week of ST, so I’d expect a PC of around 80 his first time out.

[ Post removed.  In-game reactions / play-by-play goes in the Game Day thread. ]