Sign in to follow this  
daethfromabove1979

2019 Pre-season hype, did it help or hurt you?

Looking back at the start if this season, which reports helped/hurt you when you were drafting?

David Montgomery - the hype was just out of control with this guy and he was so average this year, he could be solid but Chicago offense was so bad. I drafted him very early in two leagues. Felt similar to the Royce Freeman hype in 2018.

Dante Pettis - I loved this guy in the off season but every report from camp was negative, I avoided him and it worked out great.

Darren Waller - I saw the hype but totally dismissed it because of his previous lack of production, boy was I wrong. This guy looks like the real deal.

I lucked out because of the Curtis Samuel hype. He was one of my sleepers but the hype pushed his adp so close to DJ Moore that I ended up going with Moore. 

I fell for the Mayfield hype in a league. I really though he had a great chance to break out. Luckily, qb was deep this year so it didn’t ruin me.

HURT. 

took JuJu in the 2nd round, and traded Derrick Henry, my 4th round pick, for David Montgomery before the season started. had Cooks in the 5th, so 3 of my top 5 picks busted. just couldn't come back from that, although I did end my season destroying the losers bracket. 

1 minute ago, axiom20XX said:

HURT. 

took JuJu in the 2nd round, and traded Derrick Henry, my 4th round pick, for David Montgomery before the season started. had Cooks in the 5th, so 3 of my top 5 picks busted. just couldn't come back from that, although I did end my season destroying the losers bracket. 

Juju in the 2nd

Damien Williams in the 3rd

Cooks in the 5th

I was toast no matter what.

Posted (edited)

Odell/juju 1/2 in one league. Henry/D.Mont 3/4

OJ Howard 5th

needless to say started that league out 0-9

Edited by bhawks489

The David Montgomery and Royce Freeman hype were identical and burned me back to back years.  Went heavy on both guys each year.  

Caught Darren Waller a few places so that helped.  And Chris Godwin hype helped reassure what a lot of people saw coming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmen07 said:

I lucked out because of the Curtis Samuel hype. He was one of my sleepers but the hype pushed his adp so close to DJ Moore that I ended up going with Moore.

This is a good one, Samuel's ADP went up like crazy through training camp. Moore's ADP was awesome value this year but only got him in one league.

Just now, Fort4242 said:

The David Montgomery and Royce Freeman hype were identical and burned me back to back years.  Went heavy on both guys each year.  

Caught Darren Waller a few places so that helped.  And Chris Godwin hype helped reassure what a lot of people saw coming. 

Same of me on three of those.  Godwin and Waller were big pluses.  Montgomery was a 4th round disaster for me.

Other than that, I bought in to OBJ in the first which was a killer. 

• Like 1

Montgomery was a big preseason hype miss. I bought into it.  Calvin Ridley was also another guy hyped like crazy who did not live up to his hype. I also remember a ton of hype for Justice Hill. At least his draft capital didn’t kill anyone. 

3 minutes ago, GreatScott! said:

Calvin Ridley was also another guy hyped like crazy who did not live up to his hype.

Ridley got hurt in Week 14 and was knocked out for the rest of the season. Through Week 14, Ridley was the #14 WR in PPR. And #10 in Standard. That's pretty good in my book.

• Like 1

Tough one. I mean, taking Lamar Jackson in part won me that league, but I got him late on. I didn't really get caught up by hype at all. I suppose there's an argument that the top WRs were overhyped (Juju, OBJ etc) which meant that my waiting for Godwin and Golladay paid off. I've been burned by new RB hype before (David Johnson's first season, anyone?) so really wasn't getting sucked in this year. You could argue that I was taken in by Kerryon Johnson in hindsight, although again, that meant I could get a real bargain in Leonard Fournette.

Overall it hurt. It hurt given I drafted OBJ in first. I drafted AJ Green after Boyd. So maybe that washed out. But sort of a net loss. Drafting Jacobs was an overall plus, so that helped. I won, but had to have a lot of luck. The reason I won was because I scoured and spent all my faab money in the first three weeks. And made one huge trade, which seemed bad for me at the time, but worked well.

Where it helped: Godwin, Golladay.

Where it hurt: Cam Newton and his historic success, Mixon (first half of the year), and actually Lamar Jackson.

I felt like I saw a ton of articles hyping up Lamar Jackson so my feeling turned into "if all of these experts are hyping him, it's too good to be true." 

6 hours ago, GreatScott! said:

Montgomery was a big preseason hype miss. I bought into it.  Calvin Ridley was also another guy hyped like crazy who did not live up to his hype. I also remember a ton of hype for Justice Hill. At least his draft capital didn’t kill anyone. 

Ridley had a pretty darn good year if you ask me

16 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Ridley had a pretty darn good year if you ask me

Yep, especially relative to his ADP. He didn’t disappoint at all. 

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Lmao @ the peasants that buy into preseason hype. 

Sometimes it works, I bought into Christian McCaffrey in 2018 because if pre-season hype and it won me leagues. But the majority of the time it blows up in your face.

The only hype that helped me was Cooper Kupp.  He faded some but overall a good season considering where I got him.  I got burned buying into the hype regarding David Montgomery and OJ Howard.  Justice Hill got some hype but, it didn't burn me because I picked him up later.

Fortunately, I worked the waiver wire well and while the start of my season was a disaster, I recovered well and finished 3rd in a 14 team league.

Godwin and Carson worked out I guess.

Curtis Samuel was meh, but traded hiim for Gallup who was okay.

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Lmao @ the peasants that buy into preseason hype. 

It’s really a crapshoot. Zeke and Barkley got a ton of preseason hype their rookie years and worked out. 

Darwin Thompson and Tevin Coleman were just Terrible misses. Wasted a lot of late round draft capital on those guys.

Got Waller nowhere- didn't believe in Carr or gruden. Singletary took too long to pan out and probably cost me FAs due to short benches. Curtis Samuel too - beat writers should be sometimes ignored

I'll say this about hype: 

Reading too much "expert" projections in regards to season long tea leaves is very high variance. If you play in a highly competitive league, I feel going from being a good to great GM lies in reading the tea leaves yourself. How you read the tea leaves will depend on your process of information gathering, value placement, with ultimately draft day execution being your main building block towards success.

If your league also involves keepers and draft pick trading, knowing when to buy and sell at different points in and out of season is also very important. 

Overall, JuJu who I kept, got me dick for most of the year and I was able to overcome it via a trade for DJ Moore. 

I'd also like to add that certain twitter feeds are heat while others are total poser a**, so be wary of the information you digest. 

I had no hype this pre-season and it hurt me.

Usually i get very hyped on a few players and do a ton of research but i was so busy at work i basically drafted with my gut and still won the superbowl.

The pre-season hype trains are a great bit of fun though i will try to get on a hype train next year again.

21 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

I'll say this about hype: 

Reading too much "expert" projections in regards to season long tea leaves is very high variance. If you play in a highly competitive league, I feel going from being a good to great GM lies in reading the tea leaves yourself. How you read the tea leaves will depend on your process of information gathering, value placement, with ultimately draft day execution being your main building block towards success.

If your league also involves keepers and draft pick trading, knowing when to buy and sell at different points in and out of season is also very important. 

Overall, JuJu who I kept, got me dick for most of the year and I was able to overcome it via a trade for DJ Moore. 

I'd also like to add that certain twitter feeds are heat while others are total poser a**, so be wary of the information you digest. 

Wait what??

• Haha 3