Sign in to follow this  
oswald737

Luis Robert 2020 Outlook

Based on Passan's tweet, Robert will start the season in Chicago. Aggressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hearing he is the next incarnate of Andrew McCutcheon (prime)

Robert will begin the season in Chicago.

What is Passan basing this on? Regardless of his contract, he won't start the year in the bigs if he absolutely tanks spring training

The dude is oozing with fantasy goodness. (That sounds weird). He’ll be on a ton of my teams. Give me all the White Sox this year!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, cs3 said:

What is Passan basing this on? Regardless of his contract, he won't start the year in the bigs if he absolutely tanks spring training

If he tanks spring training, who is playing CF?  There's nobody good. He seems like the obvious player for the job and Roster Resource has already put him there. The only reason he would not be projected to start in CF is service time manipulation, which is now not a thing.

I think there's no chance he plays himself out of the CF job, there's no point in playing poopy Adam Engel in CF, especially now that Robert has the contract.

Only way he doesn't start in CF is injury.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Where will go now ADP wise in a keeper league?     7th round or higher?

2 minutes ago, tesla said:

Keeper.  Uh I would think 2-3rd round.  At the absolute worst.  Basically a young Soriano comp wise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he tanks spring training, who is playing CF?  There's nobody good. He seems like the obvious player for the job and Roster Resource has already put him there. The only reason he would not be projected to start in CF is service time manipulation, which is now not a thing.

I think there's no chance he plays himself out of the CF job, there's no point in playing poopy Adam Engel in CF, especially now that Robert has the contract.

Only way he doesn't start in CF is injury.

Totally agree.

When was the last time a player signed a deal like this and didn't start in MLB?  I can't think of any.  Spring stats are for guys competing for jobs.  And I don't think he is at this point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, cs3 said:

ST performance matters to people that are not competing for jobs? Since when? 

He dominated AA and AAA and they have no one notable CF options. Whatever flaws he has, can only be exposed by MLB pitching. Not AAA pitchers.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I can come up with 50 million reasons why he will be starting regardless of what he does in ST. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tesla said:

Way higher. A better question is where he goes in re-draft. Now that we know he has a starting gig from opening day.

Right now he's the 29th OF off the board on NFBC at a 107.  Benintenti, Ozuna, Mancini, E. Rosario, J. McNeil, Lauerano, Soler, Gallo, Pham, Robles, E. Jimenez, Stanton, Merrifeld are all the outside top 50 ADP and OF ahead of him.

How many of these guys does he leap frog, how many does he deserve to leapfrog?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, tesla said:

38 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Keeper.  Uh I would think 2-3rd round.  At the absolute worst.  Basically a young Soriano comp wise.

This is completely league and rule dependent.  I don't see him going round 2 in any league unless the draft starts off with a bunch of players not in the pool and the first round is technically like the 7th or something. Maybe in like a 20 team Dynasty startup he goes in round 2.

Posted (edited)

Seems meaningless to me since he's a Rookie, but

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seems meaningless to me since he's a Rookie, but

And yet the counting stats they project for a rookie are awfully tasty. And that was in 117 games. 

With Roberts' hitting profile he may have trouble hitting for average, at least early on. But sometimes a player as uber talented as Robert can adjust quickly ala Ronald Acuna. I'm guessing every draft / auction will have someone fall in love with him. Last year Eloy finished with an ADP around 115. With Roberts potential for speed he will surely be much higher. He will be more likely in the rang where Acuna was when he was breaking into the league, top 40-60 picks IMO.

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

With Roberts' hitting profile he may have trouble hitting for average, at least early on. But sometimes a player as uber talented as Robert can adjust quickly ala Ronald Acuna. I'm guessing every draft / auction will have someone fall in love with him. Last year Eloy finished with an ADP around 115. With Roberts potential for speed he will surely be much higher. He will be more likely in the rang where Acuna was when he was breaking into the league, top 40-60 picks IMO.

This is where I would fell comfortable in taking him

Brinson was playing in AAA Colorado Springs when he put up those numbers.  Brinson had a .787 OPS on the road that year.  There is for sure risk factor with his very aggressive approach. 

Feel to hit is better than Brinson, but lower then Acuna's

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

that sounds reasonable and it's the same range of the guys I would forego if i keep him - Hiura, Olson, Robles, Nola

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

FG is not the place to go for unbiased info on Robert, IMO. They were lambasted for being too low on him, namely the Brinson comp, and went full toddler defending it and wouldn't move Robert's FV up no matter what he did.

Also comical that a guy with a max sprint speed of 31.9 ft/sec is a 60 speed grade. The number of human beings -- not just baseball players -- that can run that fast is teeny tiny. His 60 yard best is 6.15 and has most often been timed at right at 6.3 -- I don't know where that stacks up these days but I know Bo's 6.18 was the fastest ever clocked for a baseball player for a long time. During his showcase, a scout (I believe working for STL) said he was 70 power and 70 speed. There were reports that he was not in great shape at that time. Draw your own conclusions, I guess. He's a top 1% of the 1% physical freak and I will be stunned if he isn't a star. Maybe not this year, but soon.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hot take: Luis Robert is highly overrated and owners should cash in on him now 

The list of studs in the MLB with a 4.9/24.7 BB/KK rate I can count on one hand, and that’s his line in the MINORS (tends to get worse in the MLB).  

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

Normally I am a big fan of trading prospects. but Robert has to be the odds on ROY unless Adell or Madrigal takes it. Not sure who I would trade Robert for today. I would want at least a top 45 young guy maybe more. If Robert gets off to a hot start with power and speed maybe the Soto or Betts owner will bite.

39 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

The list of studs in the MLB with a 4.9/24.7 BB/KK rate I can count on one hand, and that’s his line in the MINORS (tends to get worse in the MLB).  

It’s not an outrageous take. There’s certainly a wide range of possible outcomes in the rookie season for a young player with plate discipline concerns. There’s some Buxton/Brinson/Baez rookie year possibilities here. There’s also 25:25 upside with good counting stats if he can adapt to major league pitching.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

This is reasonable but Robert is the type of guy that could be the exception and fall into the "count on one hand" group and be elite with this profile.